LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

6 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Ha!  I’ll see what I can do!  

Bucktober Bucktober Bucktober….just sayin you got this.  Kinda like squid games  they signed up for this. 

Friday evening I am hunting over a large winter rye field and about 6:pm I can hear the thunder movivn in and its just starting to rain, so I decided to leave and as I stood up I see a nice buck out in the field feeding all the way over in the other end... Noted!  I know where Ill be going for Sunday evening as I already know I cant get out on Saturday.

Sunday evening I am making the trek in towards the field and as I get close all I can hear is a guy yelling at the top of his lungs over and over ... he is on the other end of the field where I want to be.

My plan is squashed so I decided to hunt the opposite corner and I get in and set up.  As time goes on the guy is moving my way yelling and whistling for his dog, it is obvious that he is pheasant hunting and his dog took off.  He passes by me yelling for the dog constantly but it looks like he is heading out, giving up on looking for the dog.

I have an hour left so I decided to hang around in hopes something get bumped into the field through the corner I am sitting in.   And then the wind kicked up and the lake effect rain came... needless to say I tapped out and got totally soaked on the walk back to the truck.  Totally ruined hunt.  I thought you had to have control of you dog ?

The guy got to within 20 feet of me and never knew I was there

lost dog.jpg

• Sad 2

Having grown up in dog running country, he goal is always to have command and control of your dogs. Some hunters claim ignorance, but some genuinely have dogs that lose their wits from time to time being so hot on trails.

Each club had a box pen at the front of the driveway for dogs found that belonged to other runners. I remember picking one walker up that was 3.5 miles away. Dumb dog from time to time but when he was hot on buck he was the first one following that buck every time.

Moral of story, sometimes dogs do crazy stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnplav said:

Is it still as a Wolc special even if I didn’t harvest the oysters or take a chest girth measurement??? 

First deer from the new climber.  Setting up in the acorns within range of the field edge worked out last night.    And the best part… I skipped this mornings hunt and slept in!  Sorry @Lomax!  

7CAC1925-FE30-4013-8DC8-D603E7ED3569.jpeg

92A894DB-12E1-4F9C-8D95-6893D7C91519.jpeg

271A7785-DCDA-432C-8E19-6D1D64E6238B.jpeg

EACF59B0-640D-4632-BD15-FA8504741E37.jpeg

As long as it had nuts and you saved the liver it counts.  If the liver was left in the woods for the vermin, that would be tragic.

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Set up at 7.30am. Walmart Step Stool is quite comfortable. 

Waiting on a Flock of Turkeys to amble on by. Ready to give out a few Strings of Lost Yelps.

20211018_072803.jpg

How come you aren't carrying the new shotgun?

47 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

As long as it had nuts and you saved the liver it counts.  If the liver was left in the woods for the vermin, that would be tragic.

The liver is in the cooler now, ready to head home.  It’s gonna be lightly sautéed up tonight then put on sandwiches with bacon and onions. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Having grown up in dog running country, he goal is always to have command and control of your dogs. Some hunters claim ignorance, but some genuinely have dogs that lose their wits from time to time being so hot on trails.

Each club had a box pen at the front of the driveway for dogs found that belonged to other runners. I remember picking one walker up that was 3.5 miles away. Dumb dog from time to time but when he was hot on buck he was the first one following that buck every time.

Moral of story, sometimes dogs do crazy stuff.

Im not pizzed or anything like that, Im on public and everyone has a right to be there... this was just not exactly how I thought my hunt would go.  I have see some bizzare stuff happen on public for sure.

Just now, johnplav said:

The liver is in the cooler now, ready to head home.  It’s gonna be lightly sautéed up tonight with then put on sandwiches with bacon and onions. 

Awesome and you won’t regret saving that.  I brought a couple packs of baby beef liver up to the in-laws with me this week.  My mother in law says she will cook it for us and I can’t wait, but that don’t taste quite as good as bb liver.

1 minute ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Im not pizzed or anything like that, Im on public and everyone has a right to be there... this was just not exactly how I thought my hunt would go.  I have see some bizzare stuff happen on public for sure.

When we ran across upland bird hunters we'd always let them know we were there and ask if they saw any deer - sometimes bird dog hunters are simply that and don't get into deer and will let you know where and what they saw.

• Like 1

Happy with the increased trail cam activity over the last 2-3 nights! Bucks have really been on their feet and showing up in different areas. Unfortunately, 95% of pics have been under the cover of darkness. Sometimes within just 15-20min of daylight though, so we're getting there! Most times, the bucks are alone, but am seeing 3-4 bucks traveling together too. No bucks with does, trailing behind does, or showing any interest yet. No scrapes, nor are they showing any interest in my mock scrapes yet.

• Like 2

Hunted until 9:30a this morning before I headed into work. Was hoping the coldest morning of the year would lead to more movement, but it wasn't to be. One new rub popped up since I was last at this morning's set.

Checked 3 Cams on the way out, finally have a couple respectable bucks showing themselves (night activity), will try again tomorrow AM.

Well I ignored my alarm again this morning. That makes me 1 for 3 on planned morning sits. Honestly, the wind was right but still a little early and windier than I'd like. Bills game tonight, busy day and on the road and felt like rest was a better idea.

The stand I planned to hunt never sent me any pics on the upper, busier runs so that's good. But most of my other cams popped with smaller bucks and doe. Some of my old school cams are showing movement but still all at night.

Today's annoyance is the browning cell cam I sent back with $20 shipping was supposed to come back Friday, then Sunday and now just says pending somewhere on the fedex tracker. What a cluster this has been. Last time I had this, the package was lost all together...

Edited by Belo

1 hour ago, phade said:

When we ran across upland bird hunters we'd always let them know we were there and ask if they saw any deer - sometimes bird dog hunters are simply that and don't get into deer and will let you know where and what they saw.

Twice now Ive had the bird dog come right up to me to say hello.. I didnt mind that whatsoever. 

Im itchy to try the stratagy that I was planning for last night but we may have severe weather (hail and wind and rain) by the time I can get out of work today.  Im not aware of where this buck was bedded so yesterdays mishap may have had no impact at all.  The buck showed up right at sunset the other night, so he may have traveled a little ways to get to the field

• Like 1

Well I ignored my alarm again this morning. That makes me 1 for 3 on planned morning sits. Honestly, the wind was right but still a little early and windier than I'd like. Bills game tonight, busy day and on the road and felt like rest was a better idea.
The stand I planned to hunt never sent me any pics on the upper, busier runs so that's good. But most of my other cams popped with smaller bucks and doe. Some of my old school cams are showing movement but still all at night.
Today's annoyance is the browning cell cam I sent back with $20 shipping was supposed to come back Friday, then Sunday and now just says pending somewhere on the fedex tracker. What a cluster this has been. Last time I had this, the package was lost all together...

I ignored mine as well and am kicking my self for it, had a beautiful 8 pass by the stand I wanted to sit at around 7. The sad part is the wife woke up with my alarm and told me I would regret going back to sleep.

Boy was she right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chef said:

I ignored mine as well and am kicking my self for it, had a beautiful 8 pass by the stand I wanted to sit at around 7. The sad part is the wife woke up with my alarm and told me I would regret going back to sleep.

Boy was she right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who taught you that move, @The Jerkman ?

• Like 2

So in the daylight I found some body damage , the A post has a five inch long dent with paint cracked and peeling off.

This deer hit the truck at the apex of a jump ! I thought he was coming through windshield , but up and over he went . The glass case is where he landed on bed cover and you can see mud on rear window .

Im ok with that damage , I thought the whole side and possibly front was toast .

209F57FF-8C7B-45C2-895D-20C9A5605830.jpeg

1AC84A97-592D-4276-BDCA-E3F2F20FD88C.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Sad 2

I went for another scout/still hunt between showers today. I came up on a hill top that had tons of rubs last year,it is somewhat open with lots of blackberry bushes. On my way a spike walk past me at 25 yds without seeing me,he must have had an appointment.

On the top of the hill I slowed way way down and spotted a doe working towards me. Trouble was the wind,as I was close to the top of the hill it kept dragging around the hill carrying my scent to her before she got in range. It was interesting to watch, she got nervous but only got the wind occasionally. Then I saw two more does behind her. They turned around and walked away slowly. I waited and after a while I followed. I found them not 200 yds from where they turned around,bedded down. I thought I had a chance to crawl within range as there was a slight rise between us.

I crawled for 30 yds and really liked my chances when the wind swirled again and they stood up. There were actually 4 of them,bedded on the leeward side of the hill. They didn't bolt but I couldn't do much with 4 sets of eyes trying to find the source of the smell. They wandered off eventually. 

That was a ton of fun though.

I learned a crosswind is an iffy thing to rely on,but if I was straight downwind they would have seen me coming.