How far is too far for you to take a shot?

HHC1

I was just curious what everyone's comfort zone is with range. I typically practice at 30-40 yards, however on our property most shots are afforded between 10-25 yards, with an occasional 30 yard shot, depending on the stand. I practice at 30-40 yards because it makes those 20 yards shots seem very easy. In my stand, I doubt I would take a shot over 35 yards and most likely I would not be presented with a shot over that length. 

With only one pin set at 25 yds, I practice on a small River Bottom Buck target at 35 yds. On this target I hold at the withers ( top of shoulder) and it drops in perfect. On a mature buck, I would hold 3/4 way up. This would have to be a standing still shot on a relaxed buck for me to take the shot but I would if the shot was clear.

Well I practice out to 30 in the backyard, on occasion out to 40 at the club. The buck I took was a 30+ (32 ranged) right on the money. But out to 40 from a stand might be pushing it. Am I certain the lane is clear etc. Tell you what realy improved shot confidence this year was the 3-D. But even so, I'd say anything over 40 walks.

Practice to 45-50. I've been fortunate to have some up close stand shots the past few seasons, but I typically range 0-25. I have a few stands where 40+ yards are available. Situation needs to be right to consider a shot over 35.

I practice at 53 yards ( just because that is all I can get in my yard)  I would shoot a deer at 40 any day.  However if that deer is already hit, the sky is the limit.  I am shooting if I can.  About 10 years ago I hit a doe real bad.  (hind quarters)  She ran up the hill and stopped at 65yrds.  My second shot took out her liver.  The more holes the better.

Considering I have shot NO deer yet I set my limit at 20 since that is as far as my backyard permits (westchester living is tight!).  I just hope I hold myself to that standard if ANYTHING walks by at a decent range. I have shot out to 35 yards at a range with moderate success.

I do not shoot beyond 30 yards. Frankly, I would just as soon not have to even shoot that far. I really like 15 yards :)

Doc

Me too, I like it when they are close enough to get all four of my pins on them!    ;D

those chips are the best!!