what time are you in stand in am?

alwaysarchery67

I try to be in at least a half hour before light. But there are days I get in a little late. Whrn I worked nights I didnt get out til 7 so never got in before 8. I still saw deer and still got deer. You just never know. I havent seen a deer before 8:15 this year.

I used to get in an hour before sunlight/shooting time. Then it dawned on me that that was an hour I could have spent later during the day, when it was light enough to actually shoot, instead of just listening to owls and critters crunching in the leaves. As much as I like being in the woods, 6 hours is my limit before I have to get up move around. Now I try to be in the stand & set up about 15 minutes before shooting time.

If I were hunting public land, I would probably be set up at least an hour before shooting light. And I'd make sure to have a working flashlight to let others know where I am sitting.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I like settling in and listening to whats going on around me. Nothing you can do do if you walk in and bust deer when its light out, other than say should of been here a half hour ago. There is nothing like sitting in your stand for a half hour in the dark listening to the critters all around you. Cold still morning and you can hear deer off in the distance making way to their beds or two bucks sparring, love it!

I go in any time now after my trail cams have shown me that deer are on the move any time of day, I see activity at my plots at 10am or 12:30 or 1pm or just about anytime. And sometimes its easier getting in without the use of a flashlight which deer can see from a long distance. I slip in mid day with deer only a couple hundred yards from my stand at times. However there is that special feeling you get when nestled in your stand and the sky starts to lighten first thing in the a.m..

I used to do the hour early thing,no more. I hunt basically an island in a sea of 100's of acres of crops. I found I spook far less deer out of the fields if I can actually see them as I walk the edges in.

No more snorts in the dark or white flags running in the moon light.

im learning the earlier the better, every time I enter the woods now its dark, I always hear em when im hiking to my stand but by the time I am in my tree its just before first light (if im in a treestand)

miscalc on my part or just plain old bad timing, this week I plan on getting in there to be in stand at least an hour before first light. last time I felt like I spooked a deer that couldn't have been more than a few yards to my left.

I hate it when we go back to Standard Time . I have to get up an hour earlier in the am to get to a stand or blind an hour before sunrise .

No you don't, the deer don't turn their clocks back why should you ? I'm always off for 2 weeks then, don't set clocks till I go back to work. Bed around 10 ( tonight after the World Series) up around 5 or 5 30 .

Also I really like going in as I can see a little ,the stands that are not in hedgerows are 10 to 30 yards at most into any hardwoods or thicket. I don't have to let anything "settle down" because I did not spook anything going in. Yes sometimes by what's in what field and where I may change approach or even stands,but that's an advantage as well.

Edited by Larry302