Since when do they...

Woodjr55

Lol ..... About 56 years ago when I took my gun hunter safety course, we did have to shoot. And here's something you never hear of anymore .... The course was conducted in the back of the school bus garage. Funny how attitudes toward guns in the schools have changed over the years.

So maybe that is not a mandated part of the course anymore. In fact who knows, maybe it wasn't mandated back then either but was optional. I don't know.

I remember when I took mine maybe 25yrs ago it was just a written test.

The instructors were giving out the answers, not guns!

If you didn't understand the question, you'd raise your hand and he would come over and help you rule out "A,C, and D". :mail:

The High school science teacher at our school was an instructor. I took my course in his class room after school 2 days during the week. After the class on the last day we took test and went out back of school to shoot guns that we brought with us. Some people would have a mental brake down over something like that today. 

• Like 1

I took mine in 1979. No shooting. Its just as well. The #1 instructor was a big, old, grizzled ,mean loud ex DEC officer. I don't think a single one of us would have survived a day on the firing line with that guy….

I took my course when I was 16, that was 34 years ago.  I remember my Mom picking me up at the Sportsman's club.  When I got in the car, she asked if I had been smoking.  Not me, but the room was filled with smokers, puffing away.  No guns at the course.

I have zero recollection of taking my Bowhunting Safety course.  I have the certificate somewhere, but I don't remember the class or location at all.

Geeze, wouldn't you think that somebody might want to watch the student handle the gun just to see if they have a clue about gun use and safety? Marksmanship is something that they can work on once they have a gun of their own to shoot, but just to check for such things as where they point the thing, and other things that might indicate a problem like looking down the muzzle ... lol.

Some of this might sound intuitive or just plain old horse-sense that supposedly everyone was born with. BUT .... I have had hunters walk up to me with the gun cradled in their elbow while the muzzle was pointed straight at my mid-section. I saw another one yakking away leaning on the butt with the muzzle resting on top his foot. Not everyone has that thing called common sense, and it would be interesting to put a gun (even if it is empty) in the hands of a student just to observe what he does with it and see that he handles it respectfully and responsibly.

• Like 1

Doc you ever see this test??? the kids find a gun in toy box test 2 sets of kids... kids who's parents had guns immediately got an adult and told them there was a real gun in the toy box.. kids with no guns allowed parents picked it up and shot it at each other( was non firing but real hand gun)

I took my test about 40 years ago in the basement of a bar with dirt floors. The instructors gave us all the answers to the test then had us shoot a couple of rounds in the back yard as all the shloshed drinkers watched from the inside of the tavern above.

I remember it like it was yesterday

I have had hunters walk up to me with the gun cradled in their elbow while the muzzle was pointed straight at my mid-section. 

I had the same exact scenario happen to me. It was an oriental guy who didn't speak a lick of English. I gave him the WTF gesture and kept on walking

We shot a lot 32 years ago when I took mine. .22's, single shot, pump, side by sides, and semi shotguns of several guages. It was one Saturday afternoon, and there were a lot of kids taking it.

This was in the country, and almost all of us were already familiar and proficient with firearms. The best thing in the course was when one of the instructors didn't feel the safety aspect was getting through to us young bucks. He stood us all in a line, took a head of cabbage, and boinked it on our foreheads. He hollered, "Did that hurt?" And it did because he thumped us pretty solid. He took that head of cabbage and put it on a fence post. He stepped back 10 yards and blew it up with a 12 guage. Talk about making an impression.

I took my hunter safety course 17 years ago. It was an entire weekend. All day Saturday and the first half of the Sunday was all test preparation and taking the written test. Sunday afternoon we all went a 1/4 mile down the road to the shooting range and went through at least 3-4 bricks of .22 shells between all of us (10-15 people) then we all had the opportunity to try out an antique double barrel 12 gauge if we were brave enough.