I think I'm in trouble...

I recently moved my parents into nursing care and started cleaning out the house. I re-discovered a mounted Great Horned owl in his basement. upon seeing the owl, I recall seeing it around the house when I was little...we're going back 50-55 years. I couldn't see just throwing it out because the owl is in great shape.

I took it home and planned on donating the owl to a local DEC office. I double checked the DEC site and protected bird site and find that possession is a very serious state and federal offence. To protect myself, I am considering taking it to camp and disposing of the owl....hate to do it, but I do not need a police record, like the fellow caught with protected birds while reading the New York Outdoor news. 

I know my father and his uncle hunted crows after WW II and maybe back then, having a stuffed Owl was no big deal...sure is now.

The lighter fluid, wood and owl are ready for ignition...Wondered what the group  thinks I should do. I vote burn.

I believe you can legally donate it to a museum or school. But you would have to admit having it first. this said, I think it would be your father that is on the hook. you would just have to say, you cleaned out their home and found it. But I doubt anyone would put their eldery father in jeopardy, so as fasteddie said, burn it or get rid of it

Maybe I'll strip the feathers for fly tying....wait a minute...I have an idea. Perhaps the Hitler rant clip can be adapted to my owl dilemma. I can see it now, Hitler in his bunker, going over the map on where to hunt crows, then being told by his aides that possessing an protected species is against the law. Then Hitler asks those in the bunker to leave if they do not want responsibility for the owl....at least I came up with some added material for a rant. The deer permit one was brilliant.

If you go the burning route, I'd at least sink a few arrows in it before sending it up in smoke.

Make it exciting....., dowse that sucker in gasoline, and light it up with a flaming arrow "Duke Boys" style,lol

But you have to do it while hanging out the passenger side window of an orange 69 Charger....

• Like 1

Make a call to the DEC guy in your area from a pay phone and refuse to give your name.  Ask what the law says.  If the guy says it's illegal to have it, in any way shape or form, anywhere in the country, tell the guy, "Thanks, but the law is crazy".  Then put it in a black plastic garbage bag, take it to a remote area and drop it off, then call them back from a pay phone to tell them they can be stupid and destroy it if they want to.

I'm pretty sure I've seen mounted owls before, so I don't know why your's would be a problem.

Just call them tell them what happen and that the bird is 50 years or older and you don’t know what to do with it. Tell them you don’t know where it came from. You can get a permit to keep it. The worst thing that will happen is you may have to turn it over to them and you were going to do that anyway.

With my luck en route to camp, a state trooper will pull me over and ask to look for contraband. Discovering the owl, he would confiscate the owl, my vehicle, notify the DEC, question me, obtain a warrant for a search of my home, confiscate my guns, my merlot, and my first born, then fine me. I'll just stick it in my bunker and fugettaboudit....I do bring it out occasionally to scare the cats.

If you got pulled over on your way and he asked for contraband, the trooper would need a search warrant to look for contraband unless he thought you had committed a crime recently in the area or you gave him consent to search. Pop it in the trunk, they can't go in there without your permission so do not give them permission. All is good. 

With my luck en route to camp, a state trooper will pull me over and ask to look for contraband. Discovering the owl, he would confiscate the owl, my vehicle, notify the DEC, question me, obtain a warrant for a search of my home, confiscate my guns, my merlot, and my first born, then fine me. I'll just stick it in my bunker and fugettaboudit....I do bring it out occasionally to scare the cats.

Hey , put it in a box without a return address, drop it off at the post office and send it to me. lol    .  Last year while hunting, the squirrels were driving me nuts. A hawk flew in to my area of the woods and sat in a tree not far from me, and it became quite peaceful. Maybe a stuffed owl would be just the ticket.

Keep it if you really want it. I guess it depends on who might see it.

If you don't want it, please don't destroy it. Lots of places would like to have it for educational use if it's in nice shape.

I'm as suspicious as they come with regard to the government, but I don't see this being an issue with your  explaination.

Protected nongame birds such as songbirds, hawks, and owls can be legally brought to a taxidermist by game wardens, Federal agents, or holders of appropriate State and Federal permits. Once mounted, these birds can be legally possessed only by public scientific and educational institutions or individuals or facilities that have a valid Special Purpose Possession Dead permit. Personal possession of nongame birds is prohibited. English sparrows, common starlings, and feral pigeons (rock doves) are not native to the United States and are not protected by Federal law. (See 50 CFR 21.11)

Doesn't say anything about a grandfather clause.