Getting your deer home

Borngeechee

I sorta miss the days when successful hunters strapped their deer to the roof of their cars. 

I have a truck now, so the deer goes in the bed. Before that, most of my cars were hatchbacks. I'd put a tarp & large piece of cardboard (like you get with large appliances) in the back, to keep blood from leaking into the carpeting. I found out the hard way, blood in a carpet first smells like roadkill, and eventually ammonia, tough to sell the co-workers on carpooling under that scenario, ha.

If you are handy with a knife, skin & quarter the deer in the woods, and take it out in contractor-style trash bags. Saves wear & tear on your back dragging the deer back to the car.

If I remember correctly, back in the day you were required to transport the deer so they were exposed......I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that being the law.

The deer exposed , yes . But if you drove around exposed , you'd be in trouble ........ :fie:

I do my best. Of course, if he kills a bruiser, we can throw it in my truck and I can pretend, for a while anyways.

Moog - I knew a couple different guys that would drive around for at least 3 days showing off their bucks . I always wondered how the meat turned out .

• Like 1

I sorta miss the days when successful hunters strapped their deer to the roof of their cars. 

When I was just a kid, my friends and I were walking home, past a local watering hole. There was a station wagon parked out front with a big buck strapped to the hood. The hood and fender were covered with blood. We stopped and checked the deer out, grabbing the horns and admiring the buck. I most have gotten too close to the fender because when I got home my mother almost fainted at the sight of  the blood all over my shirt and pants. I never even noticed it.

I drive a mustang lol but want a jeep wrangler bad. I wonder if it'll fit in my trunk.

My buddy fit a medium sized doe in the trunk of his wifes Toyota car.  I've also seen him stow a deer in the back of a VW bus.

Quarter the deer if you have to make it fit in the trunk.  Just keep the head and hide with the rest of the deer in case you get stopped.  Line the trunk with plastic (not a tarp).

Me, I have a truck

When I was just a kid, my friends and I were walking home, past a local watering hole. There was a station wagon parked out front with a big buck strapped to the hood. The hood and fender were covered with blood. We stopped and checked the deer out, grabbing the horns and admiring the buck. I most have gotten too close to the fender because when I got home my mother almost fainted at the sight of  the blood all over my shirt and pants. I never even noticed it.

I ran a processing business when this was still in fashion. I can't tell you how many guys pulled up with deer (or 2) strapped to the to top of their cars, most left a blood trail coming in & out of the driveway. I realize this upsets the non-hunting crowd, but I always viewed it as badge of pride you would wear on the long drive home from the mountains.

• Like 3

Years ago we transported the deer from camp to Long Island. Got dirty looks even the whole family including preteen children giving me the bird!! This was on rt 17 not the Island. Had a guy make a shape with his hand like a gun and pretended to shoot my brother and I on the GWB. It all wasn't worth it. We ended up finding a meat processor at my camp and leave the deer behind. My neighbor will pick them up and store them until I come back up. It's a good excuse to get in a late season hunt. lol

People are A-holes. I live in Brooklyn and just put a hitch on my suv for a rack. I was going to wrap any deer up but I after reading this post I may just leave it exposed for all the PETA jerks and hypocrites that have no problem buying butchered farm animals to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You ever see a State Trooper with a P****d look on his face ,Years ago of all places on the Throgsneck bridge going to L.I. , I get pulled over , 2 Bucks and 2 Does on the roof of the Blazer. He checked every thing he could including to see where our firearms were and if they were empty. Everything was legal, needless to say he could not do a thing but say have a good evening.

People are A-holes. I live in Brooklyn and just put a hitch on my suv for a rack. I was going to wrap any deer up but I after reading this post I may just leave it exposed for all the PETA jerks and hypocrites that have no problem buying butchered farm animals to see.

It's not the PETA jerks you have to convince because nothing will convince them. It's the millions who are on the fence that we want to win over rather than lose them to PETA. Covering up a dead deer won't offend anyone and it may not mean anything to others, it's still respectful of the animal who's life was just taken. I understand PETA can be frustrating but we must be smart about winning the public approval for hunting.

You'll be surprised how much room is in a trunk. I could have easily for two does into my old Camry. When you bend the legs and curl them up, they curling up nicely.

• Like 1

If I can fit them inside the bed I do.  Last year I could not so he went on the outside hitch with his head tied up in a nice position laying down feet tucked under.  The opposite position he is in these pictures, head facing forward on d/s.  Sure you get some bad looks from the PETA type but I had 3 cars and trucks beeping their horn at me screaming YEA!!!  It was well worth it and I would not change a thing. 

post-1186-0-96336300-1408483175_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-55024200-1408483185_thumb.jp

For many many years my Dad used an old baby blue Nissan sentra to bring home deer, either on roof or on top of trunk . The car would be half blue and half blood red. Now he has a hitch little trailer to the back of the SUV, other motorists can still see the entire deer