New Land Owner

nybuckboy

The past 15 years was the first time in my whole life I've had a tract of land to hunt and was very fortunate to have had about 200 acres (about 90 wooded) to hunt across from my house (very convenient) but I always had to share it with others and at times it was just not much fun. The landowner would give my son and I permission but would also give others permission too. Sometimes even though I thought I had exclusive I would find out that a few others thought they did too. Any way...

In late May of this year I moved about 10 mile south of where I have lived and hunted the past 15 years. I am blessed to have bought a 4 year old home on 94 acres of terrific land with a creek bottom running through it and private land all around as well. I have planted about 1 1/2 acres of food plots as well.

The problem I foresee is that this land has always been hunted by others in the area as well as the neighbors. I have made it a point to tell adjacent neighbors that only my family would hunting the property now and have posted entire perimeter every 100+/- feet  between signs.  I also placed a two 4'X4' signs visible from the road on the power line on each side of the land stating that I am the new land owner and all prior hunting permission is no longer valid. 

I did this in hopes that this would alert area hunters that may have hunted this land at one time or another that this land is no longer an option. I felt this was better than climbing out of a stand to chase someone through the woods to kick them out. Part of me feels a bit like the assh*le of the area but at the same time it is my property and something I've worked hard my whole life to own. 

I am finding that owning a large parcel of hunting land comes with the burden of having to put your foot down and make sure others know it is off limits. Once someone you know that hunts learns you have hunting land they think because we are friends that they should be able to hunt and it just don't work that way. 

• Like 1

People can't read, oh I didn't know, hell I've been hunting here since a I was a little boy, everyone said the new owner would allow us to hunt, I didn't see the posted signs (they are blind also). I catch someone on the property or my neighbor does the first thing we do is take a picture of their back tag. This usually gets them thinking we mean business. You have to be stern the first few times you catch someone, then the word will spread.

Congrats on the new property!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of owning hunting property there are definitely pros and cons!!   Is your new property in northeast Madison county?  I am located in southeast Madison county. 

South East Madison

post in the local paper that you are new owner and no longer allow hunting on your land. All prior permission is canceled...

Bill... the large 4x4 signs clearly state and are easily visible from the road and posted signs on both sides. They are black letters on a yellow background. There are 2 signs on the power line. One on each side of the property. One by the road is only 50 yards off the road. They can easily be read from a 200 yards away. They read:

NEW  LAND  OWNER

ALL PRIOR HUNTING

PERMISSION  IS

NO  LONGER  VALID

• Like 1

My sister in law bought 69 acres several years ago . It took a few years for people to know that it wasn't open hunting on the land anymore . She wasn't afraid to tell anyone that her property was posted and that they were Tresspassing .

Bubba hit the nail on the head ...... your troubles have just begun but in the end it will be worth the effort .

Good luck with your new venture..nothing like having your own place to roam and hunt at will.

It will take a while for most of the neighbors to come to grips with losing their sacred hunting ground.

Some will finally learn and some will not care who owns it and will constantly try to figure out ways to hunt it without being caught and some will not care IF they ARE caught.

You might find it easier because your originally from the area, us guys from downstate have it much harder but it does get better over time.

Just part of the price of land ownership

That powerline is gonna be the stickler for you..too easy access for quads and snow machines.

What I tell all my guys while hunting our land that NEVER assume you are alone in the woods while hunting even though nobody else is supposed to be there.

Again Good luck and have a safe season.

Congrats on your new home and hunting area. Lets see how soon some nit wit tries to tell you it's not posted correctly, and you are to blame for them being on your land. That seems to be all the rage here lately. Welcome to the world of hunting  property owner and the responsibility to take others by the hand and protect them from themselves. 

I was just thinking; can putting posted signs to close together to get the point through peoples thick heads also  technically be considered improper posting? I'm not sure, but it might be some trespasser is shrewd enough to try and be a smart ass and use the excuse. lol

Anyway, even with the hassle, I do agree with Bubba and others that it does have it's advantages. Again, congrats! 

• Like 1

It will take a you a few years to clear things up.  We had one on our property that I never came face to face with, Its probably better that I didn't.   Tore down two stands and chased them in the dark.  Funny part is if they asked the right way I prob would have let them.  

• Like 1

If anybody tries to tell you your land isn't posted properly, they will leave when you tell them too, but they will be back, because they feel it's still OK.

If you get that from a trespasser, tell him to unload his gun, hand it to you and give you his license.  Then tell him you are calling the police and prosecuting him.  When he gets upset, tell him not to worry, the judge will have to let you go because, "The land is not properly posted!"

That should clear things up for him real fast.

• Like 1

it took 2-3 years for tresspassers to get the idea that i now owned the property that was 22 years ago..havent really had a problem since, except with road hunters, a call to dec with 3-4 vehicle descriptions led to a decoy set up and a few guys caught, that has dropped off considerably as well now. your biggest problem is going to be that powerline and guys just passing through to get to where they hunt.. and a food plot on the powerline is a def no no...

My new land is adjacent to a 70 acre woodlot.  I've heard from a few locals that my neighbor is a large family and that they've been hunting the whole piece(theirs and mine) for years; and that they drive/push the entire property with their extended family and shoot everything they see.  I have no doubt that they know exactly where the boundaries are.  I'm really nervous about this season- I dread the thought of having to get out of the treestand on opening day and have a conversation with trespassers.  I'm planning to try to drop by their house and introduce myself in the coming weeks next time I'm upstate.  I have the added stress of living 250 miles away and knowing that they can do whatever they want when I'm not around.

Edited by virgil

Smile your picture was taken works,  fake security cams,  old trail cams in obvious place up high, real cams hidden on access points!  Speak with your local Encon officer and get ideas, get to know them, and inform them you plan to prosecute... and prosecuting really sets the tone you will not tolerate trespassing.    Word will get around quick!

• Like 1

The property has almost had the new survey completed and should be done today. The posted signs are about 75% completed/ By the end of the week it will be done. I will have 100 signs up when completed. 

post-402-0-41865100-1410278498_thumb.jpg

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

Unless you live on the land you bought, or live fairly close to it, buying land for the sole purpose of hunting is a HUGE headache.  I've said this many times.  For the price you pay for it, plus the yearly taxes one can go hunt with an outfitter somewhere each and every year with little to no headaches.  For the few weeks a year one would use it for hunting, owning hunting land simply isn't worth the aggravation in my honest opinion.