Quiver-On Or Off Bow in Stand?

Lawdwaz

I wrestle with this every few years. When I'm in the tree I have the bow quiver hanging off my right side on a hook screwed into the tree or off a stub branch. I seem to shoot better with the quiver off and I like the fact that the bow is a little lighter for those times I get busted and have to hang onto the it because a deer spotted me before the draw or I changed my mind etc.

Last night in the tree I was thinking that ahh heck maybe I should leave it on, it might make the bow more stable and simplify things.

I've only been doing this for close to 40 years you'd think I would have it figured out by now......... :(

What do you folks do and what are your thoughts???

Mine comes off.

As windy as it's been this season, I like a lower profile to my bow without the added surface area to get blown around.

Also as greensider said, sometimes the arrows loosen up in the quiver and the added noise upon release is not something I like the thought of.

I remove the quiver and hang it same as lawd, I believe that you practice all summer with out the quiver so why chance an errant shot by hunting with it on. Although i spined a buck once and struggled to get a  back up shot as I watched him crawl away by his front feet. If I had the quiver on I might have been able to get off a second shot. I didn't break his back only a stinger, at 60 yds. he got up and ran off. I was heart broken. 

I practice all year with the quiver on and hunt that way too. Over the years I've gotten a couple of quick follow up shots that made the difference between going home with a deer or not. I hunt mostly from the ground and as long as i keep the drawing process slow I think the arrows in the quiver,to a small degree hide some movement. I will also use just a touch of spray insulation in the holes where broadheads go to hold them tight.

The crossbow quiver on the other hand comes off soon as I sit down. It's awkward enough without the quiver!

Depends on the stand. Most of the time the quiver stays on the bow. I shoot better with it on. But one stand in particular, doesn't let me shoot to the left, with out the arrows in the quiver, hitting the stand seat cable. It almost cost me a buck 2 years ago.

I practice with it on and off, not too much difference in the results, but should try it to get used to it while walking.  Ya never know when your walking in or out what might pop up in front.  It's off hanging close by in the stand.

I practice with it off.  Earlier this year, I was bow hunting on at a ground setup and it was very close to sundown.  I get a text from my hunting buddy that there are a few does right behind milling about.  Realizing that I don't have enough time for them to get to me before legal shooting hour is over so I made the decision to head towards them instead of waiting for them to come to me.  I stalked my way in and all of a sudden a doe pops out and is heading towards me.  I drew my bow and took a broadside shot, center mass (mistake #1) with my 20 yard pin.  She ducked the arrow (and she was actually only 13 yards out - mistake #2) and ran.  Instead of running directly away, she ran a bit of a circle and is now 30-35 yards from me on my left giving me a second shot.  Problem is...my quiver and the rest of my arrows are still sitting on the floor back where I had left it. (mistake #3)

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Hip quiver all the way here, in fact I have never even tried a quiver on any bow ever. I just don't think I could get used to it. My current set up is a quiver meant for a bow that I have attached to a waist fanny pack that I take off when I get to a stand. While still hunting it's right where I need it.