Shooting more than one buck

upstatehunter

Here's a good scenario for those that hunt state land and think "whats the difference who shoots the buck as long as its tagged". You're hunting State land opening day and some "It's no big deal using someone else's tag" hunter like you is hunting a few hundred yards from you out of your sight.. the rut is on and first thing in the morning two bucks following a hot doe come by the other hunter heading your way as well... he shoots both bucks.. tags one with his wife's tag (who isn't there) and the other with his tag... I bet now the "It's not that big a deal if someone uses someone else's tag" is a big deal to you... the law are there for a reason... even if you will never understand what that reason is.

Buttt...  I think some of us would be hard pressed not to knock down a mounter buck after wasting your own tag on a four point. That's why you pass on the little ones!! you never know! Or even if you shot a big one and saw an even bigger one! Make a dis-honest man out of a few of us I think.

That is a sad commentary on where all this antler-phobia has driven people. It is not the law that is making dishonest people out of some, but more the fact that people have come to measure their hunting success in inches of antler as they have been taught on the Saturday morning TV hunter-heroes. The result is an any-thing-goes attitude regarding disrespect for game laws.

• Like 3

I think using another person's hunting license/buck tag is more than just poaching, it is also identity theft.  You are pretending to be someone you are not for illegal gain.

There may be people out there that witness someone taking two bucks back-to-back and fire a shot near the offender (or take out two of their tires while they are field dressing and dragging out the illegal game) - you know, an instance of hunter-rage at the a-hole that took too many bucks in 2 minutes.  Could happen...

So do we raise the Resident licenses to about $500-600 each to cover all the manning of the check in stations?

hahaha! ... then it better be heated and serve free drinks.   not hardly... they do that in Oklahoma where I've hunted before.  there's a scale and gambrel to weigh your deer say in town near a convenience store or gas station.  they hold the sign-in book so when you go in to check your deer you end up buying some snack food and a drink, and/or gas.  you're not open throughout the night either just hours after dark.  it could work with other businesses for that matter.  point being that it benefits both the business and DEC's need have a separate check station in that area.  Before any goes bashing a system like that do research first.... it works.

I would like to see a situation where you must fill a dmp prior to being granted a buck tag. I think it would greatly help with the herd management that the tags and license are truly intended for.

In Wisconsin I think they have a system like that. It's called "earn a buck".

Personally I would Like te see Dec change to regular season tag is a doe tag, buck tags applied for by wmu and treated like current doe tag. Transferable. High doe densitys are still in check with mz/archery tags and buck tags are reflective of wmu population and game management plan

Buttt...  I think some of us would be hard pressed not to knock down a mounter buck after wasting your own tag on a four point. That's why you pass on the little ones!! you never know! Or even if you shot a big one and saw an even bigger one! Make a dis-honest man out of a few of us I think.

Wasting a tag on a 4 pointer is a pretty sorry statement ! Don't shoot the 4 pointers and you still have the tag for the Big Boy ,,,,,, if he shows up .

I heard of a guy who shoots a buck and uses his dad's tag and then has his own for a big rack deer . If I had any evidence , I would turn his ass in to the authorities .

• Like 1

I think using another person's hunting license/buck tag is more than just poaching, it is also identity theft.  You are pretending to be someone you are not for illegal gain.

There may be people out there that witness someone taking two bucks back-to-back and fire a shot near the offender (or take out two of their tires while they are field dressing and dragging out the illegal game) - you know, an instance of hunter-rage at the a-hole that took too many bucks in 2 minutes.  Could happen...

Not saying it is ethical or legal, but how would it be "identity theft" if you had permission from that person? If the person didn't know someone had purchased a tag in their name then yes.

It would be no different than my wife using my credit card with my permission as far as identity theft. But, it would still be illegal non the less.

As far as a-holes go, shooting towards someone or shooting out someone's tires seems a bit a$$holish to me too & if you were caught doing either, it would be one helluva lot more serious than tagging a buck with someone else's tag.

Wasting a tag on a 4 pointer is a pretty sorry statement ! Don't shoot the 4 pointers and you still have the tag for the Big Boy ,,,,,, if he shows up .

I heard of a guy who shoots a buck and uses his dad's tag and then has his own for a big rack deer . If I had any evidence , I would turn his ass in to the authorities .

I have of this exact scenario more than a few times.

Not saying it is ethical or legal, but how would it be "identity theft" if you had permission from that person? If the person didn't know someone had purchased a tag in their name then yes.

It would be no different than my wife using my credit card with my permission as far as identity theft. But, it would still be illegal non the less.

As far as a-holes go, shooting towards someone or shooting out someone's tires seems a bit a$$holish to me too & if you were caught doing either, it would be one helluva lot more serious than tagging a buck with someone else's tag.

I'm not sure "identity theft" is the correct label either. I do know a husband and wife duo got in trouble for doing this last year and both of them were ticketed; him for using her tag and her for giving it to him. You can't even have someone else's buck tag in your possession...

• Like 1

I'm not sure "identity theft" is the correct label either. I do know a husband and wife duo got in trouble for doing this last year and both of them were ticketed; him for using her tag and her for giving it to him. You can't even have someone else's buck tag in your possession...

Yup but more than likely they have been doing it for years. They got caught ONCE and paid a little 3-500 hundred dollar fine. Then right back at it the next ear. I saw an out of season,at night, from the road and it was only 800 bucks for a fine. Petty cash really for a fine!

A guy from Walworth got caught shooting a buck from a combine . He used his wife's tag . He lost his hunting priviliges for 5 years and had to pay a fine . I think the wife was charged also . This happened 3 or 4 years ago . Someone reported him for shooting from the machinery .

Lots of guys do that. Take a shooter and then continue to hunt looking for a wall hanger. Few if ever fill the second tag. What would you say then?

Much easier to just shoot a doe and then a buck as opposed to shooting a small buck, have someone tag it and then go hunting again. Seems lotd of people do the latter though.

I was watching "north woods law" last night, family of four hunting. 1 shot a deer and the cousin tagged it, you would think that they all had the same story but none of them did and they were all fined lol

I don't think it's right but I don't know how you could ever call authorities on someone for doing that. What kind of proof could you possibly have?

I hunt with a guy sometimes in northern zone that will complain about other hunters doing illegal things while he's smoking a joint. Nothing against smoking but illegal is illegal no??

If I called the authorities for everything I saw that's illegal I would have them on speed dial by now. Especially here in the city.

There's a small picture right inside my mothers door that reads in Italian- "My grandfather lived 100 years because he minded his own f***king business" -words to live by

• Like 1

Oh Yea great.  Lets make it a felony.............  Lets put them in prison....

The argument that a dear dies anyway doesn't hold. Far more licenses are sold than are filled. If a family member buys a tag and doesn't use it, a deer would not have died. The hunter that does use it doubled the number of deer that would have died if taken legally. I have no doubt this practice is a main reason certain areas have so few bucks...the same hunter cleans out the local bucks. I unfortunately know a couple individuals who believe in this practice, boils down to they are game hogs.

The argument that a dear dies anyway doesn't hold. Far more licenses are sold than are filled. If a family member buys a tag and doesn't use it, a deer would not have died. The hunter that does use it doubled the number of deer that would have died if taken legally. I have no doubt this practice is a main reason certain areas have so few bucks...the same hunter cleans out the local bucks. I unfortunately know a couple individuals who believe in this practice, boils down to they are game hogs.

You are spot on.. I happen to live right in the middle of one of these areas...Much of the nz is not much different than the back hills of Virginia...lol

Earlier in this thread, there was a question about how many bucks could be taken.  I think WNY stated that you could take one buck in either early bow OR muzzleloader.  Is that for sure?  I can't find that info on the DEC website.  I took a buck during bow, but not during the regular season.  I was under the impression that I could take a buck during ML.  I don't have my license with me to look at the tags.  Was wondering if anyone could post a link to the accurate info.  thanks.

Earlier in this thread, there was a question about how many bucks could be taken. I think WNY stated that you could take one buck in either early bow OR muzzleloader. Is that for sure? I can't find that info on the DEC website. I took a buck during bow, but not during the regular season. I was under the impression that I could take a buck during ML. I don't have my license with me to look at the tags. Was wondering if anyone could post a link to the accurate info. thanks.

You can take a buck during bow AND regular season

Earlier in this thread, there was a question about how many bucks could be taken.  I think WNY stated that you could take one buck in either early bow OR muzzleloader.  Is that for sure?  I can't find that info on the DEC website.  I took a buck during bow, but not during the regular season.  I was under the impression that I could take a buck during ML.  I don't have my license with me to look at the tags.  Was wondering if anyone could post a link to the accurate info.  thanks.

you have an either sex tag that can be used early or late when appropriate privilege is purchased. IF you did not fill you regular season tag you can use it in the late season to take either sex. In my case I did not take a buck yet so I can take two bucks in the ML season. How is that for optimism...lol 

• Like 3

Much easier to just shoot a doe and then a buck as opposed to shooting a small buck, have someone tag it and then go hunting again. Seems lotd of people do the latter though.

While I agree with you to some extant. What's easy on your land might not be somewhere else. Some guys may only hunt a few weekends a year and if the first deer they see is fork horn than they're probably taking it. In fact, I'd argue that during the rut the easiest deer to shoot is a yearling buck or even easier is a bb. A doe can be harder to outsmart. Now you probably hunt similar land as many of us and see at least a doe every sit. But just remember it's not always the case.

While I agree with you to some extant. What's easy on your land might not be somewhere else. Some guys may only hunt a few weekends a year and if the first deer they see is fork horn than they're probably taking it. In fact, I'd argue that during the rut the easiest deer to shoot is a yearling buck or even easier is a bb. A doe can be harder to outsmart. Now you probably hunt similar land as many of us and see at least a doe every sit. But just remember it's not always the case.

Oh trust me my land is not a place I see a deer all the time. I just meant that it may be easier to wait it out than risk doing something like that.

And personally, I could care less if you shoot a buck and your dad is willing to tag it.. Just My opinion.