what else to do with stew meat?

loworange88

Pound it flat with a meat tenderizer... Dip in egg and then Italian breadcrumbs... Fry in a pan for a few minutes on each side.

Take out 2 packages of meat because the first one will not last long..

Also, you can add additional seasoning to the bread crumbs... I prefer a little Cheyenne pepper and some extra garlic powder/salt...

Let me know if you try it out...

Off the top of my head we have done a stroganoff  or two or an awesome oven stew where you don't cook the meat first and it is awesome !

You can always grind it if you don't want to make stew. :)

I tried to shred it like pulled pork, but I haven't found a BBQ sauce that pairs well with the venison....much different than shredding pork or chicken breast.

I did just find a recipe for venison gyros...Sounds great, I may try that.

Crock pot it in French Onion soup mix until you can shred it with a fork. Then drain soup mix and add Jack Daniels BBQ sauce or KC Masterpiece brown sugar bbq sauce for pulled venison sandwiches. Grab some soft bakery rolls and enjoy.

We also take the lower leg meat or stew meat and have it made into venison sticks, summer sausage, and kielbasa. Most butchers will take the meat in a Ziploc bag already frozen. You aren't guaranteed to get your own meat back but it sure is tasty. 4 or 5 of us put about 5 to 10 lbs each in and take it to them to add with pork and make up whatever.

Edited by Zemmer18

I crock pot all the neck meat- stew meat with all different spices. Cook that meat until it so tender. Then separate out all the nasty. I make a killer home made gravy out of some left over beef stock, mix it together and cook it some more. I then sink it into lip lock bags and through it in the freezer. Warm up and serve. Something about freezing it,thawing it that makes the best pulled venison in the world!

I trim it up the stew meat (removing all fat, silver skin, etc), season it with Bucks and black pepper, then flour, heat an iron pan with peanut oil.

I sauté up some sweet onion and maybe some mushrooms, when done,I remove the onions and mushrooms.Then I add more oil to the pan, get it good and hot and sear the venison, ensuring it is still pink/red in the middle, then toss in the onions and 'shrooms, and serve. Very tasty.

We also take the lower leg meat or stew meat and have it made into venison sticks, summer sausage, and kielbasa. Most butchers will take the meat in a Ziploc bag already frozen. You aren't guaranteed to get your own meat back but it sure is tasty. 4 or 5 of us put about 5 to 10 lbs each in and take it to them to add with pork and make up whatever.

My local packer will do batches of 40# or more well after the season & do them separate.

They explained that they do the individuel patches at the end of the day before they clean the equipment. Once they do venison they have to clean & sanitize their equipment before doing any USDA meats. By doing batches at the end of the day they just work it in as a normal routine that includes cleaning & sanitizing the equipment at the end of the day.

I won't let my venison to get mixed in with road kill & gut shot garbage..

I freeze the trimmings in 1gal zip-locks & take it in around mid January.

Pound it flat with a meat tenderizer... Dip in egg and then Italian breadcrumbs... Fry in a pan for a few minutes on each side.

Take out 2 packages of meat because the first one will not last long..

Also, you can add additional seasoning to the bread crumbs... I prefer a little Cheyenne pepper and some extra garlic powder/salt...

Let me know if you try it out...

I did try this and it is pretty good. I don't have a meat tenderizer, I need one. I had sauce and pasta and greens with it

Crock pot it in French Onion soup mix until you can shred it with a fork. Then drain soup mix and add Jack Daniels BBQ sauce or KC Masterpiece brown sugar bbq sauce for pulled venison sandwiches. Grab some soft bakery rolls and enjoy.

Trying this one today, meat is in the crock pot right now!  Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Edited by loworange88