Worst states

YFKI1983

I think they are full of Shyt.NY is a good hunting state,does NY have truckloads of mega bucks like some states?No but they state isn't geared that way with the way its run.Anyone in this state can go after big deer,I know a few plots of state land within a hour drive that have plenty of great bucks.I myself don't feel the age of a deer makes it great,hell one of my best hunting memories was shooting a doe because I had a family at church that desperately needed meat for their freezer.Getting that deer for them made my year.

• Like 6

Interesting.  So any hunter who gets a 3.5 or older buck in NYS MUST be an excellent hunter because this is the worst state to hunt deer!  I always thought NY hunters were smart, they must be if they are taking deer in the hardest place to hunt in the USA!

Interesting. So any hunter who gets a 3.5 or older buck in NYS MUST be an excellent hunter because this is the worst state to hunt deer! I always thought NY hunters were smart, they must be if they are taking deer in the hardest place to hunt in the USA!

I've taken 3 since 2004 on my own property. About once every 5 years, '04, '09 & '14. Never even saw anything like that (while hunting) in PA & only one in Indiana. Most of those Midwestern "trophy states" fair no better on public land or easily accessible private land.

I'm very happy with NY deer hunting.

• Like 2

Machinist I am with ya on that

NH or VT should be #1 we always say if you can be successful hunting NH you can hunt anywhere

Slaynbux that is correct NH has doe days not tags Archery we can hunt either sex

gun we have from 0-3 days of doe season & with only roughly 60-65,000 deer in the state & I think roughly 90,000 hunters (don't quote me on these Numbers tey are a few years old ) it is a hard state to hunt

you would think Florida would be at the top, but they aren't because they have zero snowfall and the weather is very inviting............when I leave this state it certainly won't be to find better deer hunting.

This is a daily talk in our house( 2 years from retirement) wife wants to move for good I want just to winter away from here although I might be swayed her way. Deer hunting is nice but not in my top 5 or 6 things I look for in a place to live.

Here are a FEW taken be me. I've filled my freezers and some friends as well every year since the early '80s and I'm not that good of a hunter .imagine if I hunted in a good state....

post-253-0-45177500-1427997351_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Machinist I am with ya on that

NH or VT should be #1 we always say if you can be successful hunting NH you can hunt anywhere

Slaynbux that is correct NH has doe days not tags Archery we can hunt either sex

gun we have from 0-3 days of doe season & with only roughly 60-65,000 deer in the state & I think roughly 90,000 hunters (don't quote me on these Numbers tey are a few years old ) it is a hard state to hunt

2014 prehunt estimates were at around 100,000. 11,000 harvested. Central to north country hunters success rates are generally low. Some never do tag one. southern guys can legally harvest 6 deer most don't. Five of which could be does. But most guys I hunt with at least get two. 10 percent of the hunters get 90 percent of total harvested.give or take a little.

That is why you can't compare nys to other states ,in that we can have big bucks tooif we only had antler restrictions ,just 1 buck,ect... our hunter density is very high,and everyone wants a buck, I like it here and so all right..dumb list..

In my humble opinion, NY gun laws are terrible. But hunting in NY is in no way the worst. If you hunt with bow and gun, the deer season lasts for two and a half months. Is there a booner roaming every property, no. But as seen on this sight, some very respectable bucks call NY home. Given the time we have to hunt them and all the various weapons we can legally use, from longbow to high powered rifles. There is no shortage of tools we can use to get the job done.

I understand some areas of the state have more deer than others. But even on most public land, shooting A deer is not impossible if you put in the time and effort to be successful.

Also, having seen most of the lower 48 states myself, NY is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. With mountain vista's, rolling hills, valley's, farm fields, big woods and small woodlots.

Is it the best? That is for everyone to decide for themselves. But in no way is it the worst.

• Like 2

In my humble opinion, NY gun laws are terrible. But hunting in NY is in no way the worst. If you hunt with bow and gun, the deer season lasts for two and a half months. Is there a booner roaming every property, no. But as seen on this sight, some very respectable bucks call NY home. Given the time we have to hunt them and all the various weapons we can legally use, from longbow to high powered rifles. There is no shortage of tools we can use to get the job done.

I understand some areas of the state have more deer than others. But even on most public land, shooting A deer is not impossible if you put in the time and effort to be successful.

Also, having seen most of the lower 48 states myself, NY is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. With mountain vista's, rolling hills, valley's, farm fields, big woods and small woodlots.

Is it the best? That is for everyone to decide for themselves. But in no way is it the worst.

Based on how hard he negatively rated the Northern states because of the cold and snow, I wonder if the author is maybe from a warmer climate and a wuss.

• Like 4