Blind Squirrel Finds Nut..................

Lawdwaz

I had a quick but fun hunt yesterday morning.  After a 2:30am wake up, I hoofed it down to Ontario County to hit one of my better spots.   I heard nothing wile hooting a bit so I mooched down to a great spot to make a crow call.  I had a HARD gobble only about 75 yards away from a still roosted bird.  That bird really should have seen me as I came down unto him but didn't, good for me!

He gobbled a half dozen times on the roost on his own before I gave him a couple soft tree calls.  He responded to them and within a minute or two pitched out and hit the ground maybe 60 yards away.  He came in perfect and to tell you the truth I don't think I made a call after he hit the ground but I honestly can't remember..........

A perfect window at about 30 yards and I smashed him. 

IMG_6820_zpszjp3zywn.jpg

IMG_6822_zpsgrycmw0q.jpg

He weighed in at about 19lbs, 1" spurs and a 9" beard.

I hunted today and covered some serious ground via shoe leather in three different spots and called from the road in a few key spots that are known to produce and never heard a peep.  Super quiet morning and very surprised I couldn't raise a single bird. 

From hero to zero in 24 hours.  :)

• Like 11