LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

I went to the bottom of the hill stand...wind not good for directly behind me but the stand really isn't shootable from there...it makes you eye level with deer 1/3 way up and deer at the top can see you move...so I broke down tree branches behind me to break up form...I planned on the deer  coming in from  behind lft crossing to right or coming from infront of me...Due to a particular time frame I kept checking my clock...I made it in Oh so quiet and did not spook one deer....So I thought I beat them down the hill ...nothing nada...8am being the magic time nope...  8:15..8:19..8:25 8:30 and there he was. I never even heard him ...I had stood slowly and turned to look up behind me and he was running the hill side perfactly eye level with me...I grunted and he stopped squarely behind me...43 yrds he looked and looked then the wind gusted and ever so slightly the nose tipped up and the ears started rotating...I grunted again but he cared not. The sun had crested the ridge and framed him from behind as a steady stream of steam circled his head....Man what a beautiful sight...It was the big 8pt and he is so much better in person. I had hoped the light grunts from the hands free would turn him but the wind ,though not spooking him, made him think better...he had places to go and doe to hassle so off he went....That right there was one of my better hunting experiences...So he has a particular time frame..but not a particular route :dontknow:

Edited by growalot

attachicon.gifIMG_20151108_085830.jpg

The story is in the harvest thread, 8pt down! First set of horns with my bow!

Big!

Wish I had just shot a premie fawn now. It has taken 70 minutes of work to drag him half way back to my car. The gulleys here are 45 degrees no kidding. No clue how I will get him in the trunk of the sedan. I am not actually complaining but dragging deer is no joke.

Never did find the arrow. Must have come out somewhere as I didn't like myself while field dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Big!

Wish I had just shot a premie fawn now. It has taken 70 minutes of work to drag him half way back to my car. The gulleys here are 45 degrees no kidding. No clue how I will get him in the trunk of the sedan. I am not actually complaining but dragging deer is no joke.

Never did find the arrow. Must have come out somewhere as I didn't like myself while field dressing.

Pull his front legs up and put them inside his antlers,turns the deer into a nice sled.

Edited by Jeremy K

Big!

Do what Jeremy said about tucking legs up into antlers. 

Do you feel like you're going to throw up yet ? If not , it's as difficult as you think lol   He'll taste that much better after all your hard work. If there was snow a kids sled works well.

• Like 1

Heading out in 3N soon. My dad saw 4 turkeys in the morning and then the neighbor. Neighbor saw 7 deer, no chasing. 4 does, a spike, a 4 and an 8. All 3 bucks I'm sure are the ones I have pics of for the last few months. Good to know they still alive. Around 1145 the 4pt walked by dad at 45 yards but he passed. 40 or under and he would have pulled the trigger on the xbow.

All week has been quiet here. The young'ins are only ones showing during hunting hours. Doe and bucks have all gone nocturnal. Another behind close doors breeding cycle this season. Maybe this cooler weather will ignite something. Due for one on the ground, past years showing.

Same thing here.

Had a spike come in yest morning and after he left decided to practice my rattling. At 75 yards he heard the rattle and turned around and started heading my way again. After playing with him for a little I turned around and saw a basket 7ptr (1.5yr old) come runnin in from down wind. Watched him for a bit then they both walked off. After that was quiet for 7 hours.

This morning real quiet too. Saw a huge scrape by my other stand and got a new 8ptr on camera at 4am who scraped up the whole area. Hunting one of the scrapes as he came in 2 days ago in daylight too. Trying to make it happen today!!

• Like 1