How to stay warm

Marion

No matter what I try for some reason I can't stay warm. I'm down in 3s and today I had my long johns on (bottoms) then my camo pants. Upper had long johns, then long sleeve shirt over that, then short sleeve shirt, then a hoodie, and finally my camo fleece. Why on earth can't I get warm? What is everyone wearing so they don't freeze their male parts off?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The simple answer is Layering. You need to wear several layers of quality insulated clothing that will trap air. Start out with some insulated cold weather thermals. Over those go some insulated hunting pants and a heavy wool shirt. Next would be an insulated vest to keep your torso warm. Finally an insulated hunting parka with some form of a wind blocker material. Get your self a warm insulated hunting hat and wear a facemask under it on very cold days, along with a quality pair of hunting gloves or mittens and some chemical handwarmers or a hand muff. Do not skimp on cheap boots either- they must be insulated and should be large enough to give you the ability to wear 2 pairs of thermal socks inside of them. With all of your clothing, make sure it is a little loose fitting as tight fitting clothing or boots will constrict your blood flow to those areas and result in you getting cold. Don't be afraid to wear too much clothing. As my late father always told me "you can always take it off if you brought it with you, but you can't put it on when you leave it at home."

• Like 5

My problem was when I first got to my stand I was boiling then as time went on around an hr or two into my sit I started to get cold. I guess I just need a nice layer to block the wind because that seems to be what always kills me

My problem was when I first got to my stand I was boiling then as time went on around an hr or two into my sit I started to get cold. I guess I just need a nice layer to block the wind because that seems to be what always kills me

That's a big part of the problem. You've started to sweat by the time you get in. The sweat then cools and because it's under your clothes it can't evaporate. It's held against your skin, & it cools you down. Could you go slower on your way to the stand? I stop for a minute or two every time I start to feel like I'm going to sweat. Also, you can bring a couple layers in your backpack & put them on once you're settled in. That way you can dress a little lighter on the way in, & avoid sweating. Edited by Skillet
  • Like 3

Shed layers on the way in and carry them. You sweat on the way in and you're done. You'll get cold quick after sweating. Moisture wicking garments are good. I wear Smartwool long underwear tops and bottoms and very happy with them. Definitely wear a layer to block the wind. I have one of those North Face fleece zip up jackets I wear for cooler weather in everyday occurances. (not hunting )  The thing has kept me warm on a day it was 0 degrees out  with no wind but sucked at 40 degrees with some wind. I second the facemask, muff with handwarmers and good boots.

• Like 1

Try walking to your stand with just your long john top on while carrying your other layers in your pack.  I have found that if I wear everything that I have, I work up a sweat before getting to my stand and become cold much more quickly.  Then while on stand, add more layers as you get colder.

• Like 1

I carry the heavy clothes in.  Wear layers. Silk under lightweight merino wool longjohns. Wool pants and button shirt, so I can open collar, and carry extra sweater, vest or jacket in in my pack.  Silk/wool longjohns combo seems to do it for me even if I sweat, wool stays warm when wet.

My main limiting factor is my feet, mainly my toes.  Even with stick on toe warmers and the Artic Pro's I still get cold feet after about 4 hours when its below 20.  Can't get the foot thing resolved, and yes I do put on a hat to keep my feet warm.

One of the tricks I use to keep the feet warm is to use a plastic shopping bag as a first layer. Put sock layer over that. It keeps the perspiration from absorbing into the socks and boots. The feet will get kind of pruned up, and I've never tried it in consecutive days, but it works. I've read of folks hunting Canada using a plastic garbage bag as a first layer on their torso. Same concept.

Good luck ! Rusty

Rusty

Going in, I always under- dress and pack the warmer clothes as has been mentioned already. I also leave enough time to walk in casually so as to not break a sweat. If I do feel that I'm starting to sweat, I slow down or even stop and take a break. All to arrive at the stand dry.

Beandog

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're not wearing anything to block the wind. Layer u., A first layer of Under Armor, or similar wicking material, is the way to go, then a few more layers over that, and end it with a layer of a good wind blocking material. You should notice a difference. And never wear cotton as your first layer of anything.

• Like 1

Moister wicking is VIP as your first layer, if really cold I will throw on some type of fleece as that also wicks moister away or some equivalent.  (Many say fleece holds scent.)  Then a turtle neck, neck warmer, parker (user the hood!) and if I really get cold then I throw on sweats and then rain gear to stop the wind.   If that does not cut it throw a snow suit on top of all that!  (One piece suits suck to use the bathroom but are good at holding in heat.  Full neck/face mask.   

Good clothes can be expensive but are well worth the comfort.  I did not think I needed the rain gear today (My wind breaker) boy was I wrong. 5 am till 6:30 pm was a long first day!!!  At least I saw a buck (not a shooter) and 5 doe, not clear shots unless I wanted to do the 1/2 hour before sunrise, can't brake the law, so she got a pass at 11 yards.  Then later a doe actually dove into some brush, I think to hide from the buck?  Crazy never saw that before. 

Sorry so long I'm on 2 hours sleep!  And I am still cold!

Eat! Digestion =heat, also a thermos full of somethings hot.

Bringing in a Thermos of some mulled apple cider tomorrow morning. Hoping for a delicious warmer as well as maybe the deer will enjoy the scent too!

Moister wicking is VIP as your first layer, if really cold I will throw on some type of fleece as that also wicks moister away or some equivalent. (Many say fleece holds scent.) Then a turtle neck, neck warmer, parker (user the hood!) and if I really get cold then I throw on sweats and then rain gear to stop the wind. If that does not cut it throw a snow suit on top of all that! (One piece suits suck to use the bathroom but are good at holding in heat. Full neck/face mask.

Good clothes can be expensive but are well worth the comfort. I did not think I needed the rain gear today (My wind breaker) boy was I wrong. 5 am till 6:30 pm was a long first day!!! At least I saw a buck (not a shooter) and 5 doe, not clear shots unless I wanted to do the 1/2 hour before sunrise, can't brake the law, so she got a pass at 11 yards. Then later a doe actually dove into some brush, I think to hide from the buck? Crazy never saw that before.

Sorry so long I'm on 2 hours sleep! And I am still cold!

I left off my rain gear in my car because it was only supposed to be 3-4mph wind. Well that was dumb on my part. Tomorrow gonna be around 32 in 3s. Breaking out the winter gear, nice PAC boots, and for top along with my usual warm clothes got a nice big jacket with hood and nice puffy pants. Super warm, hopefully lol

• Like 1

Just to give you an idea today it's 30. I have 4 lower layer, 5 upper, good fleece neck gator and hats, hand warmer in a hand muff. Feet one wick one heavy and key boots can not be tight that reduces circulation.

Dressing to stay comfy is an art! Lol

• Like 1

I also think our bodies need to acclimate to the new cold temps especially after the scorching summer we had. Every year I find myself cold even in mid 40s temp at he start of the season. By mid December , 30 feels toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree.  your body will get use to it.   

• Like 1