If Full Inclusion Happens?

grampy

And you decide to use a crossbow. Will you still use a traditional, and or compound bow also, to hunt deer? If full inclusion happens this year. I will do all I can to kill one more deer with my compound, first. Nothing can compare to the satisfaction, for me, to killing a deer with my bow. But due to my increasingly bad shoulders, I will not be able to draw and hold my compound much longer. I know I'll always miss hunting with my compound but with the crossbow, at least I can still participate, and enjoy the early season hunt. What will you guy's be doing?

• Like 6

I'm trying to become proficient with my recurve, but I don't know if I'll be confident enough by this season. If so, I'd love to hunt with it for awhile. But, I would like the option to take my crossbow out whenever I wanted to.

• Like 1

And you decide to use a crossbow. Will you still use a traditional, and or compound bow also, to hunt deer? If full inclusion happens this year. I will do all I can to kill one more deer with my compound, first. Nothing can compare to the satisfaction, for me, to killing a deer with my bow. But due to my increasingly bad shoulders, I will not be able to draw and hold my compound much longer. I know I'll always miss hunting with my compound but with the crossbow, at least I can still participate, and enjoy the early season hunt. What will you guy's be doing?

Grampy, I'm in the same boat as you. The last few months my drawing arm (right shoulder) has been painful and I have difficulty pulling back and holding my Compound. So a few weeks ago I decided to purchase a XB (PSE Fang) to use this spring for Turkey and hopefully if included, during early archery in Southern Zone. At least this will give me the opportunity to get back in the game. Have not had the opportunity to sight it in yet. Hopefully I will be able to this coming weekend. 

• Like 5

I'm hoping for full inclusion of crossbows during archery season. I can't physically draw a bow any more, and I miss being in the woods with a weapon during that magical time of year.

That's just it October is so nice to be out there warm enough to sit all day the deer go from easily patterned to rut by the end...if it gets even a few more people out there it's worth it weather they are older or new to archery it's like you said magical...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what my pre-season scouting reveals.

If I KNOW there's a cranker in the area and don't want to risk flubbing a slam dunk shot with the compound, I'll go exclusively x-bow.

Last year I filled my archery buck tag the second week of season and my x-bow never saw the light of day as I continued on with the compound but with little desire to shoot a doe.

Just because I choose one weapon one day, doesn't mean I wont change my mind the next.

I enjoy hunting with both, and would likely mix it up as well.

• Like 2

If full inclusion happens, I will still stick with my Bow-tech compound for as long as I can, and switch over to x-bow when the time comes. Those x-bows seem kind of front-end heavy to me....Haven't bought one yet...waiting for the ultra light version to come out...whenever that happens.

• Like 1

I'm not sure at this point. I have both bow and crossbow and I'm thinking I would favor the crossbow.

I want to mention another option for you guys with bows only. Within this same full inclusion bill is the wording allowing bow hunters to add a draw lock device to a bow without a special disability permit.

It would be beneficial or those hunting bow only areas as well as those with bad shoulders or those old enough fearing shoulder injury. Take your bow. Add the draw lock for $150. It's legally still a bow but essentially it's a vertical crossbow of sorts.

I popped my shoulder two years ago and first went the draw lock route.  I can tell you mine was tough to tune so the arrow wouldn't wig wag side to side in flight. After the conversion and tuning it was spot on. I actually cranked the limbs from 50Lbs up to 60 Lbs.   

To the point of the thread I think I'd take my bow once in a while.

Edited by RoadKill44

I'll hunt with my compound, unless I'm sitting in a box over a greenfield, the crossbow does not like multiple trunked trees as limbs will hit. It's my best early season. Stand and the proper tree for the stand ,so no I won't change trees. So compound it will be. The crossbow cost me a nice buck out of that stand last year and it won't happen again.

It will depend on where I am sitting. In a tree, I will use my compound. I just cannot get comfortable with the x-bow in a tree. If I am sitting on the ground, I will more than likely use the x-bow. I will always love my compound and don't think I could put it away for good until I am unable to pull it back.

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about looking into getting a x-bow for my dad this year, due to his age, and ability to hold back 2 full draw. But tragedy came, and he recently passed away in a horrible car accident, that wasn't his fault.. So for myself and dad as well, ill stick with my Mathews bow, and carry on our tradition. We both loved archery too much to ever want to change.

I may even do the opposite and attempt the Recurve archery tackle out. My father always wanted to get back into it and never got the chance with work and such. He has a recurve set up somewheres, i just need to locate it, that being said, i will for him.

Maybe someday ill break down and get a xbow , just to have and someday hunt with... but that day is to be determined.. I really have zero interest in x-bows

I am much more accurate freehand with my compound than I am with an xbow. On a rest, different scenario, obviously.

Compound all the way. I screwed the pooch on a shot last season, but that's pretty rare with my bow (knock on wood).

I will stick with my compound . Unless I get too old ( I will only be 75 this season ) or at a point where I can no longer draw my compound , then I would go to a crossbow . They are easier and more accurate than a compound . 

And yes , I have shot a crossbow but only once . Put 3 bolts in a pie plate target at 40 yards with a PSE TAC15  .

• Like 1