range finders

rotorooter23

Like someone else mentioned...I don't even bring mine when rifle hunting.......For Bow I am not sure how people go without one. I have all the trees ranged around my stand so I know ok the deer is by that tree or between this tree and that tree its xx far away. I am always surprised how far off I am when I guess before I range. Usually the tree is closer than I think. I have never actually ranged a deer....

Close to 30 years of bow hunting ,and killing deer most every year , never used one .

Nothing against them, but for me at the ranges I shoot there is not any need .

My longest shot was 25 yards and I pratice ranging as I walk constantly , although with today's bows they're close to single pin out to 40 anyway and my average shot is got to be 15 yards max.

I like them in bow to range trees around me when I sit - I can only remember once ranging an actual deer.  Unfortunately my redfield ranger just bit the dust.  I need another.

The one i just picked up on sale right now for $279 and shipped for free via Leupold- great company!

I just started using one a couple years ago, for bow hunting. It beats pacing of trees, for range. Mine is a Nikon Acculon. Its very small and light. I think its good out to 400yds. I use it for sighting in too.

Edited by ants

I have a Bushnell I used to use for golf. I use mine during sighting in. I don't bow hunt so never used it for that. I sit under "my turkey tree" so years back I've lasered trees but now I know the yardages. I'll take it out and flag some trees for my daughter for youth turkey season so she knows what's in range. Obviously beforehand and not rooting around the woods that morning Playing competitive golf for so many years I'm pretty accurate in guestimating yardages by eye.

When there are times the exact range needs to be known be it for golf, handgun, bow or rifle a good rangefinder can prove to be invaluable and a difference maker.

I have a Bushnell Legend and it has worked well for me with no problems as of yet.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

It's a good learning tool while walking around. Stop, take a guess, verify with the rangefinder. It's a skill-builder, and it's amazing how quickly someone can learn to accurately judge short distances if they work at it..

Establishing known distances, pre-season, from a stand to certain landmarks is very helpful if you keep notes and remember the ranges and landmarks. :rolleyes:

The only living critters I've ever lasered are woodchucks out beyond 300 yards or so.

• Like 2

It's a good learning tool while walking around. Stop, take a guess, verify with the rangefinder. It's a skill-builder, and it's amazing how quickly someone can learn to accurately judge short distances if they work at it..

Establishing known distances, pre-season, from a stand to certain landmarks is very helpful if you keep notes and remember the ranges and landmarks. :rolleyes:

The only living critters I've ever lasered are woodchucks out beyond 300 yards or so.

When I started bow hunting I worked on a shipping dock / warehouse , all day I would pace off distance to I beams, tow motors, heck a piece of trash on the floor. To,this day it's hard to even walk my dog around the block and not pace off distance to Mailboxes . It's an easy skill to master bow distances .

My traditional friends make fun of me for having " training wheels" on my bow , can't imagine what would happen if I pulled out range finder!

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Like most have already stated, they work great for bow and turkey hunting when you have the time to know the distances before the game shows up.

I range trees, pre season, while setting stands. While hunting I will ocassionaly break it out and recheck things, when Im bored.

I currently don't use one but it's on my list for this season....hopefully as usefull as my climber....I don't know how guys bow hunt without a climber lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree with using one to range trees or land marks, I've never ranged a deer, as for the climbers I have 2 that haven't been used in years as I prefer trees with limbs and twisted crooked trunks that are under 20 yards from where the deer appear. I have never found a straight limb less tree that puts me into position to kill a deer that I may see, they may work to get up high and see a deer but the real question is can you kill it..
  • Like 1