Three calibers for the world

post-5206-14598743440338_thumb.jpeg

If you HAD to thin out your rifles and keep 3 that you can hunt the world with, what calibers would you keep? Since most of us are just regular folks, let's exclude the dangerous five. I'll keep my 22lr, .270 win, and the .338 win mag.

Geechee born and Geechee bred

Edited by Borngeechee

...... .22lr, .280 Rem, 9.3 x 62 ....

I'd use the .22 for edible small game, the 9.3 for big bears, elk, moose and the .280 for everything else... Come to think of it, the .280 would serve well for elk and moose, too.

• Like 1

That is an easy one for me because I own 3 now and don't presently see the need for another. If I had to give one up it would probably be my .22/250 (Ruger M77 MkII). It would be tough parting with that one because I cant remember missing a "live" target with it, and have used it on several coyotes, foxes, and scores of woodchucks. The only reason I would let it go is that I don't eat any of those and fur prices are down. I would have been forced to get some more store-bought food without my .22 LR (Ruger 10/22). That gun has kept our family fed from time to time on small game (squirrels and rabbits) when the venison supply has gotten low. It takes a lot of squirrels and rabbits to add up to a deer, which is why my 30/06 (Ruger M77) would be the last to go.

Those are my 3 favorites and I know of no others that would perform their given tasks much better. If and when one of my daughters takes up deer hunting, I will probably add a .243 (Ruger American) to the collection, but that would be her gun. 3 rifles is the perfect number for me. As far as hunting the world goes, I have seen enough of it to know that I can get all I need right here in NY state.

Edited by wolc123