25-06 For Deer?

DirtTime

Never owned or shot a quarter bore, until a week ago ( still haven't shot it yet ). I did a lot of reading and watching videos on the 25-06 for deer. From what I have read it's pretty close to the .270, and is a solid deer cartridge with the right bullet. I don't reload, and most of what I read using factory ammo was the bullet type and weight. Most said the 115gr and 117gr are best, with a bullet that doesn't shatter when it hits bone. Nosler Partitions.

Also, this is a somewhat low recoil round so when and if the g/f makes up her mind about hunting she should be able to use it just fine.

So I went with the Federal Fusion 120gr bullets. ( I know, I have to see what the rifle likes best, that's a given )

Any thoughts from the masses?

Edited by ....rob

Ain't no flies on the 25-06 as a deer cartridge..

With 100 grain bullets (my choice) it is a .243 on steroids... BANG- FLOPS with heart/lung shots are common..

With 115-120 grain bullets it is so close to the .270/130 grain combo that it is not even worth arguing about the difference..

• Like 2

I have taken several deer with my 25-06 single shot rifle . Initially I was shooting Remington Core Lokt bullets but they were a bit pricey so I now shoot 117 grain reloads . 

The bullets for the 270 are less expensive and more readily available . 

Bought one a couple of years ago when the opened rifle hunting in my area..   Love the caliber..   flat and fast..   have shot out to 200 yards and it does the number..   never had one go more than 20 yards..  I shoot hornaday American whitetail in 117 grain...  perform very well and have not had a reason to change.

Also, love the option to go to a 80- grain round that scream at around 4000 feet per second..   make a great varmint round.

• Like 2

The 25-06 is a favorite of mine, back in the mid seventies I had a semi custom 25-06 made up using a Santa Barbara commercial Mauser action and a 26 inch Douglas premium air gaged sporter weight barrel to squeeze out all the velocity I could get out of that big case. I put this gun up not for Deer but for long range windy day chuck hunting. I always loaded bullets on the lighter end of the 25's scale, 75 gr and 90 gr bullets gave me the best accuracy and I can say some of the longest shots I ever made were with that 25-06. 

I never shot a Deer with mine but there is no question in my mind that with bullets in the 100 gr and up category the 25-06 would be one of the finest long range deer rifles out there. I always wanted to take my 25-06 on an out west Mule Deer Antelope hunt but never got around to making it happen.

Sold off the old Mauser many years ago but have been seriously thinking about one of the 28 inch stainless barrels Thompson Center makes for their Encore rifles as I still have quite a few 25-06 bullets and brass laying around which gives me a pretty good excuse to get one.  :D

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I have a 25 WSSM (Browning A-Bolt) that is ballistically identical to the 25-06 just in short fat case, if I could only pick one deer rifle it would be a 25 caliber. It flattens them quicker than my 06's, rarely does the round not exit and when it doesn't its stuck in the hide on the offside. I use the winchester 120gr PEP's with great results and this gun puts them well under 1". The gun is light and short and a pleasure to haul around. I've never had a deer go more than 50 yds with a lung hit, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on broadside elk under 250 yds. I've owned dozens of calibers and the 25's are hands down my favorites.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't hunted over a field in years and years. Areas I hunt now are all less then 100yd shots. So it should be just fine. Just hope the Fusions in 120 won't be to hot a round for the Axis XP.

I also like this caliber due to what t_barb mentioned, I can easily drop down in bullet weight and use the rifle for chucks and yotes.

Edited by ....rob

Those that have and shot one how is the recoil compared to a .243 with 90gr. bullet? I would like to get one for my wife (actually just an excuse for another gun) and she currently uses a .243 and is a complete recoil wuss. Although she has shot her 1187 20 gauge for deer she likes that .243 more. Hunting where we do there are some nice sized bear and I'm afraid that .243 wouldn't be enough if given the opportunity.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2

I had a Ruger 77 in 25-06 once and the recoil with 100-120 grain bullets was perceptively lighter than a .270 or my .280, and even lighter than my 7mm08 or a 7x57 I used to have.

I never shot the .243much, but I am guessing that the 25-06 recoil is similar with similar weight bullets, say 100 grain..

The most impressive bang flop I've ever seen in person was from a 25.06....big gnarly buck too. Darn thing didn't even flinch.

One of those times where you watch the shot and all you can do is say dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn!

• Like 1