2016 Rut Predictions

eagle rider

I've been keeping journals for over 35 years. And I realize its not a scientific study, just my own observations in the area I hunt. The peak day every year, when the bucks are on their feet actively searching or with a doe is November 10th give or take a day on either side. Of course there is breeding, sometimes well before and after November 10th. But the 10th is what I've come to call the magical day! This would be the day a mature buck would be seen standing in the middle of a field with a doe or cruzing with his nose to the ground. Or running a doe across a road or open area. It is a time to be in the stand all day! If there is only one day to be out there it would be November 10th!

I have a world of respect for Charlie A. as an outdoorsman, photographer, writer and hunter. But his luner predictions just never lined up with what I was actually seeing in the woods, in my area, consistently year to year. But for consistency, year to year, no matter the moon phase, it's Nov. 10th for me. Again, just my personal observations.

• Like 13

There are at least 4 phases to the rut. Breeding begins in October and ends (of the most part in December). Mature bucks don't seek in a doe saturated area like ours as much as most would think. The hope to get luck frantic chase phase is not as much strategy as one would like to think- it's just laser pointer-cat relationship for those who didn't scout or like what they found scouting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On August 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM, grampy said:

I've been keeping journals for over 35 years. And I realize its not a scientific study, just my own observations in the area I hunt. The peak day every year, when the bucks are on their feet actively searching or with a doe is November 10th give or take a day on either side. Of course there is breeding, sometimes well before and after November 10th. But the 10th is what I've come to call the magical day! This would be the day a mature buck would be seen standing in the middle of a field with a doe or cruzing with his nose to the ground. Or running a doe across a road or open area. It is a time to be in the stand all day! If there is only one day to be out there it would be November 10th!

I have a world of respect for Charlie A. as an outdoorsman, photographer, writer and hunter. But his luner predictions just never lined up with what I was actually seeing in the woods, in my area, consistently year to year. But for consistency, year to year, no matter the moon phase, it's Nov. 10th for me. Again, just my personal observations.

Some folks believe Charlie's predictions, some don't. My views parallel yours. 

I believe too many people confuse "peak breeding" and deer having sex.

The reality is, deer are animals just like us.  They will sex with does for 2 - 3 months.  I've seen bucks chasing does from early October all the way even into January.

When they actually impregnate a doe is based on her estrus cycle and THAT is what many try and predict.  When a deer will actually be impregnated.

The bottom line, be in a tree stand during hunting season.

And yeah, I'm not in Charlie's camp.  I am sure there is logic and science behind what he reports, but keep in mind that most of his observation is based on farmed deer!

Edited by beachpeaz

The reality is, deer are animals just like us.  They will sex with does for 2 - 3 months.  I've seen bucks chasing does from early October all the way even into January.

When they actually impregnate a doe is based on her estrus cycle and THAT is what many try and predict.  When a deer will actually be impregnated.

And yeah, I'm not in Charlie's camp.  I am sure there is logic and science behind what he reports, but keep in mind that most of his observation is based on farmed deer!

The reality is this is incorrect.

Deer are seasonal breeders and does for the most will only stand when they are are in estrus. That is not to say the does don't come into estrus at different times. However to infer that does will stand breed while not in estrus is wrong. To use your terminology, deer don't just have sex.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

The reality is this is incorrect.

Deer are seasonal breeders and does for the most will only stand when they are are in estrus. That is not to say the does don't come into estrus at different times. However to infer that does will stand breed while not in estrus is wrong. To use your terminology, deer don't just have sex.

I think you over-read what my point was.  From a hunters perspective, they are looking for bucks to be on their feet chasing does.  They chase does for the purpose of sex.  They may not accomplish the act of actual penetration with exception of a small estrus window, but they sure as hell will try for more than just that 1 week period.  When I refer to "sex," i am referring to that entire window that they will give chase / follow, not just the 5 minute snuggle time.

If your waiting for rut until 10-20...You're late lol. 9-15 is for some reason my favorite hunting day of the season and has been for a few years. I got a doe on he 14th last year after not having a shot at a brute. Then the following day on the 15th I got my favorite buck of my life. A non typical.

Here what I predict...I won't see squat if not out in the chase phase...and don't pick just the right stand between favorite mast...for like it or not...over 200 red oak and most of them are dropping at least some acorn...I have a lot of apples and the beech are dropping like mad...So as far as rut .....they will breed no matter when...but where they are during that breeding is up to their stomachs and cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

Dont let that fool ya...A Whitetail is a Whitetail regardless of where it stands. My deer match up with the wilds year in and yer out.

• Like 1

I take most of the month of November off. There is a difference between rutting and breading, breading is just a small part of the rut. I don’t take much stock in the lunar tables.

I do have to agree with the time frame around November 10th seeing a lot of activity.

• Like 1

I hope your right, as My Bday is the 10th and I have the 11th off I will be out that whole long weekend. My favorite time is to be out around that time. Every few years I have seen the gun opener to have a lot of action, but the majority of years it is right before and then goes quiet.

Regardless of what you believe, if you can hunt the last week of October- November DO IT!  For me November 7th (B-Day) is the day to be in the woods through the 21st.  Those 2 weeks always seem to be the best action up North but on LI I have seen earlier breeding.  These seem to be the early cycle for some doe as the majority still follow the November prime breading dates.

With the peak this year around the typical dates of the Nov 17th - 21st (If you follow moon phases.)  I would think this years rut would be very intensive with many doe cycling around these dates.  This should make the pre-rut chasing phase very intense this year, that's my prediction and I am sticking to it.  See how it pans out. 

Edited by NFA-ADK

My vacation this year is from oct 17-nov 29 and the 7th-15th of December my prediction is during my first block of vaca I will see rutting activity. My 2nd prediction is that it will start a week and a half earlier at my house than it will up at camp. I bet The 7-10 at home and 17-25 up north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk