What gun do you carry and why?

Buckmaster7600

I have quite a few rifles and have been alternating their use for years. Lately I'm on a single shot kick... I have three. The workhorse is a Ruger #1 in .300 H&H. The walking and stalking choice is a Win 1885 low wall in .243. The love of my life (so to speak) is a Dakota 10 chambered in "The Bob". It's a wonderful gun. 

I started out using a 30-30 for a bunch of years.  Then carried a 12g when I started hunting in non-rifle area; and eventually switched to primarily carrying a 50cal ML.  I also like to carry a 30-06 that was given to me by a friend who has since passed away.  Lately, the 50cal is my first choice, and the 06 is the backup.

When I first got into hunting/shooting, I asked my brother (who is in the military) for his opinion and he suggested the Remington 700 in 308 due to his familiarity with it in the military so that's what I went with.  I picked the VTR trim because I thought it looked cool and unique.

Small game/turkey I usually carry a SxS 20 gauge Bernardelli. I feel like few company's make side by sides anymore. Shame, such nice guns.

Deer season I use a-browning a bolt II, 30-06. Love the gun, the trigger especially. Last year I won a ruger American .308 and it seems like a really good gun for the price.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I grew up in the 50s and 60s reading and admiring the works of Jack O'Connor...

Because of that, RIFLE means bolt action and wood stock, preferably with a good quality fixed 4X scope...

All of my centerfire rifles are bolt action with wood stocks except of course my M1 Garand, which is not really a hunting rifle, but a military battle rifle that I sometimes take hunting.

I never warmed up to pump guns, with the exception of the Model 12 Winchester, which I love.

Other than that my shotguns are semi autos , over/unders and side/sides...

• Like 1

50 cal. ML exclusively for the last 8 or 9 years.

Why...?

Because it lets me focus on shooting A DEER instead of shooting AT DEER! ;)

I didn't always make the best shot selection choices when I had five chances to get it done.

• Like 5

I kind of stand in front of the safe and reach in for a Browning A-Bolt II Hunter lol. Could be a 30-06, 270 WSM or a 270 Win. All great mountain style bolt actions with 22" barrels. The BAR Mk I 30-06. Perfect rifle for about 50% of the camp stands. The bolt actions flat shooters will nail down the rest of the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Started out with a Rem 7600 in 30-06 'cause Aagaard liked the '06 and the Benoits sold me on the pump.

I actually bought if from a Benoit up in VT one vacation day, they had open up a small shop.  It was in the rack, brand new but it was his gun, a cousin or something.  He had it set up with their trademark peep sight.  But it had the std. 22" bbl.

I went with a VxII 1-4 on it for a while but it ruined the carry.  Never did get that gun cut down to 18 1/2".

Still grab it when I get serious or the weather turns bad.

While I have a load of others now, custom 7x57 mauser bolt, huge 475 turnbull lever, a short .308 and a black bear in 338 fed, 30-30's and many, many more,  it's the 7600 that seems part of me, guess 'cause my first real gun was the 'ole wingmaster!

• Like 2

Well, what I carry depends on the where and the when. I hunt mainly 2 zones, one rifle one non. So, opening day is usually in slug zone and I have the 870 express mag. It's also my "rainy day" or thick brush drive gun. Guess u could say it's my "beater". If it's clear weather and I'm on stand in the southern tier I take my late grand fathers rem 700 in 6mm. After blood has been shed and I have meat in the freezer I start carrying the t/c omega smoke pole, but only if the weather is dry. So to relate to your story, we usually only have 2-3 guys at camp, and I seem to have the rack full of barrels varying in length, lol. Gotta be prepared.

I've been hunting with a T/C Pro Hunter either 338 WM, 30-06, 25-06 or 50 cal. BP for well over a decade, coming up on 2 decades to be honest... I absolutely love the gun....Killed tons of big game with it... Accurate... gives me the confidence to know I can make the shot... killed from 15 yards to over 300.... 

Hunted with a Remington 740 for over 20 years until it stopped. Remington had a trade in program and I got a 7400. Most unlucky gun I ever owned. Went buckless for nine years.

In 2004 I got the pump bug bad. Started with a 35 Rem carbine added a 35 Whelen, my two go to guns, then went crazy with 257 Roberts, 6 mm Rem, 25-06, 7mm-08, and a 30-06 carbine for my son.

The 35's are the opposite of the 7400. I have shot several good bucks with those guns. 

The smaller calibers have never made it to the woods and I'm thinking of selling them.

Used a Savage model 110 in 30-06 for years.  Due to heavy cover and limited sight I switched to open sights with a Winchester model 94 in 44 Mag.  Easy to carry on long hikes and easy enough to carry all day.  It shoulders quick and steady and stays on target after I shoot so follow up if needed is right on target.  Thinking about a shoulder strap but I really like it in hand while hunting.

I still have my first rifle and bought it based on suggestions from my FIL. He has hunted at the camp since 1974 and has averaged 2.7 deer per year from 74 to present. He uses a Remington 700 in .243. So I went shopping and bought a used Remington 788 in .243. My average is much lower in less years but this rifle is an accurate shooter. Although it is a little heavy and plain Jane looking, I can't seem to leave it home and want to carry it each time I am in rifle country. 

• Like 2

Hunted with a Remington 740 for over 20 years until it stopped. Remington had a trade in program and I got a 7400. Most unlucky gun I ever owned. Went buckless for nine years.

In 2004 I got the pump bug bad. Started with a 35 Rem carbine added a 35 Whelen, my two go to guns, then went crazy with 257 Roberts, 6 mm Rem, 25-06, 7mm-08, and a 30-06 carbine for my son.

The 35's are the opposite of the 7400. I have shot several good bucks with those guns. 

The smaller calibers have never made it to the woods and I'm thinking of selling them.

We could be friends!

If you're serious about selling I would be interested in the 7-08

On 8/19/2016 at 3:13 PM, wooly said:

50 cal. ML exclusively for the last 8 or 9 years.

Why...?

Because it lets me focus on shooting A DEER instead of shooting AT DEER! ;)

I didn't always make the best shot selection choices when I had five chances to get it done.

Amen brother! My dad, with his infinite wisdom, which I always questioned, forced me use a single shot 20ga when I was starting out. When I got out of the military, brought home a Browning Auto lgt 12ga and did it ever throw lead at the deer. Sits in the gun case the past 12yrs. T/C Triumph 50cal ML is go-to SZ regular season rifle. Haven't even considered getting a rifle since they've become legal in my county. Just maybe my dad knew what he was trying to instill in my hunting ethics!

• Like 4

I live and Hunt in Tompkins County which is still Shotgun only, (why? Good Question). I use my H&R 12 guage single-shot ultra deer slayer. I got a 4X shotgun scope on top of her and I carry this gun because it is the most accurate slug gun I have ever shot and I have killed every deer I have aimed at and it will continue to kill any deer I want in the freezer in the future!

• Like 1

I live and Hunt in Tompkins County which is still Shotgun only, (why? Good Question). I use my H&R 12 guage single-shot ultra deer slayer. I got a 4X shotgun scope on top of her and I carry this gun because it is the most accurate slug gun I have ever shot and I have killed every deer I have aimed at and it will continue to kill any deer I want in the freezer in the future!

Awesome guns...I think alot of people underestimate just how accurate these are.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I live in shotgun zone so I will start with the Ithica Deerslayer 20 gauge. After I get some venison I will carry the TC Triumph which is just a sweet gun. In rifle zone I like my Marlin 30-30 lever action. I shot a buck at 208 yards with it a couple years ago so it can handle anyplace I hunt around here. I do have a Rem 710 7mm I bought for some Idaho trips I took in the past it is a prettry good shooter but always wanted to upgrade to a Tika in 7-08. But not unless I get a lot of rifle zone land to hunt.