He Passed!

grampy

My 12 year old grandson passed his NYS Hunter Education Course today! I'm very proud of him, he got a 92 on final exam. The course instructors were all excellent and did a great job. Even asked me to do a brief presentation about Deer Search. He will be doing the Bow Course next weekend. And sitting in a ground blind this October with grampy! I'll do all I can, to make his dream come true of killing his first deer. Though we are so many years apart our eyes and hearts, have the same fire.

20160917_170626.jpg

• Like 25

Don't forget to remind him how he'll have these memories his whole life and he'll sometimes want to go back to these days and tag along on a hunt with you. I know I feel the same about the hunts I spent with my grandparents. Every year when the fall foliage is at its peak it brings me back to those times turkey hunting. 

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's really nice grampy, hopefully your season is filled with wonderful memories for you and the boy.

BTW, that is one BIG boy for 12 years old!

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Congrats to your grandson . He looks pretty big for a 12 year old . 

Thanks again guys!

He is a BIG boy for his age, 6'1"190 and still growing! Turned 12 last April. He's an all star catcher and captain on the travel baseball team. With multiple HRs, sometimes even in the same game. His season started back in January, and will end in mid October. Hunting and baseball are his passion.  The football coaches are all over him to play but he's not interested. He carries a 90+ average in school  and is always helping other kids do better. And standing up for anti bullying. He already has his goal set to play college baseball. We will see, he does have the size and natural talent. And very coachable.

Ever since he started walking, he's been following me around in the woods. He can now walk quietly and become part of the woods as he moves. Can be still when he needs to be and is always asking questions about what he sees and hears in the woods. Been tagging along on hunts since age 6 or 7. He is there to help with chores without asking. And I am there for him if he needs anything. This year he wants very much to kill a deer. I'll do all I can to help him do that. There will come a time when he will hunt without me. He will be just fine! Hopefully he will pass on what he learns from me, to someone else. To keep the hunting traditions strong. As hunters, the most precious gift we can give back to hunting, is another hunter. I think I've done that.

• Like 4