2 Women Attacked By Coyote(s) in Wayne County

Cabin Fever

With the ever growing population of coyotes that we have in most of NY. I'm very surprised that there are not more incidents like this. They can be efficient killers, but are for the most part very shy around humans.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

Coyotes do not attack people, pets, bother other animals, or poop in the woods. Canis latrans are a peaceful creature, that spread love and peace. It's like the Muslims, some are good and some are evil. What does the damage are those pesky canis painus inthe anus. Two totally different species.

:derisive:

• Like 1

A few years ago in Cape Breton Island, NS, two coyotes attacked and took down a young woman who later died of her wounds - the only fatal coyote attack in Canada. I know the trail she was killed on and have solo hiked it a twice. Bit of a horrible story.

Having some free time before her next concert, Taylor, an environmentalist who enjoyed nature walks, went to Cape Breton Highlands National Park on the sunny afternoon of October 27. At 2:45, a middle-aged American couple going in the opposite direction passed her near the beginning of theSkyline Trail in Petit Étang. For an unknown reason, she doubled back after going a short distance along the trail and came back down the access road intending to return to her car. It is possible a coyote was stalking her at this stage.[8][16]

At 3:02, the American couple whose first names were Mike and Gayle, hiked on the access road heading to the car park. They moved out of the way when two coyotes were walking toward them along the road, but going in the opposite direction. One of the hikers photographed the coyotes with his camera before heading directly to the car park. Trent University's Environmental and Life Sciences graduate program professor and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources research scientist Brent Patterson later commented that the two coyotes in the male hiker's photo exhibited an extraordinary lack of fear, with one displaying what verged on a dominant attitude toward humans. It is believed these coyotes walked into Taylor on the access road six minutes later, when Mike and Gayle heard what they thought could be either animals howling or a young woman screaming in the distance. The American middle-aged couple reported these commotions in a telephone box at the car park.[8]

Both the park's resource conservation supervisor, Erich Muntz and the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resource's Wildlife Resources manager, Michael O'Brien thought Taylor's predatory animal suspect was a black bear at first, but they soon found out it was a pack of coyotes. A group of four other hikers who were originally from Europe and Australia arrived in the carpark, where they heard about the possible screams in the distance from the American couple. After several minutes' walk along the access road they began to find personal items of Taylor's, including keys and a small knife (believed to have been used by her in an attempt to defend herself as she was forced back up the access road and onto the Skyline Trail). As the hikers turned into the clearing at the head of the trail, they saw torn pieces of bloodied clothing and a large amount of blood along the ground. A washroom in the clearing had blood on the door. At 3:25 they found Taylor lying nearby among trees, with a coyote standing over her. It was only after repeated charges by the three young men that the coyote could be made to move away from her. She was conscious and able to speak with the rescuers. The coyote remained close by, growling and unafraid until a shotgun was fired at it by a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer who had arrived.[19][20] Taylor was bitten over most of her body, with particularly serious wounds to her leg and head. Paramedics took her to Sacred Heart Community Health Centre in Chéticamp, and then airlifted to Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in critical condition from the extreme blood loss she had suffered, but did not recover from the attack.[21] Her interment was at Greenwood Cemetery in Owen Sound, Ontario.[22]

Makes me think about bringing a bigger knife when I bow hunt up North, lol.  I have seen them chase doe across the road into Oneida lake.  Wow they where on these deer until the road and houses then they backed off.  Deer swam a good distance in the lake before we left the area.  Sounds like that area needs some deer hunters to help out or a couple of coyote hunters. 

I would get a bigger quiver, lol.  And a machete.  Where gonna need a bigger boat.

• Like 1

X FILES...Your all crazy...let's see..coyotes do not pack up,those are just little family groups. They never follow or attack  people. They're timid shy little creatures. Finally they NEVER get bigger than 35-40 #,s   heck youtube has house cats that big. I know this because....Well you know.:rolleyes:

In the mid 1970's no one believed there were coyotes in Wayne county, where I lived. The preferred name was 'coy-dogs'. Not sure how you can have 'coy-dogs' without the 'coy' part.

I ran a 5 mile trapline every day before school, and was surrounded one morning, well before sunrise, by a pack of 'whatever' that wanted what was in my trap. I screamed and yelled obscenities, threw things at them, and eventually they moved off and left me alone. These were not friendly critters.

• Like 1

Coyotes musta been sick. I don't get how someone gets severly attacked though. If it's already biting you don't feed it fresh parts grab it n choke it out, what's it gonna do than besides stick his tongue out. No dis to the hurt folks but people gotta learn to fight

I will have to post the trail cam video I got from last week....doe and yearling pass the camera...20 min late and coyote comes cruzing thru and stops to look around with its front paws on a log.... suddenly another doe appears and is watching the coyote from about 15 yards away.....very interesting sequence.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coyotes musta been sick. I don't get how someone gets severly attacked though. If it's already biting you don't feed it fresh parts grab it n choke it out, what's it gonna do than besides stick his tongue out. No dis to the hurt folks but people gotta learn to fight

Choke out a coyote are you serious?? It would turn you to into a paper snowflake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So as your walking  to your stand in the pitch dark with nothing but a bow and a few arrows for defense, this story will keep your mind busy. Every leaf that crunches or twig that you hear snap will instantly fill your mind with images of a slobbering, crazed, rabid coyote, with its drooling jaws snapping and ripping your face off. Ha-ha-ha-ha..... I already get those images even without reading this story. It used to be that my favorite scary thought in the dark was walking between a sow black bear and her cubs. Now I've got some variation in my panic in the darkness when I hear that twig snap. I may go back to treestands just to get the heck up in the air.....lol.:scare:

9 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I will have to post the trail cam video I got from last week....doe and yearling pass the camera...20 min late and coyote comes cruzing thru and stops to look around with its front paws on a log.... suddenly another doe appears and is watching the coyote from about 15 yards away.....very interesting sequence.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Please do, that sounds neat.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

So as your walking  to your stand in the pitch dark with nothing but a bow and a few arrows for defense, this story will keep your mind busy. Every leaf that crunches or twig that you hear snap will instantly fill your mind with images of a slobbering, crazed, rabid coyote, with its drooling jaws snapping and ripping your face off. Ha-ha-ha-ha..... I already get those images even without reading this story. It used to be that my favorite scary thought in the dark was walking between a sow black bear and her cubs. Now I've got some variation in my panic in the darkness when I hear that twig snap. I may go back to treestands just to get the heck up in the air.....lol.:scare:

I've still never seen one in NY! I've also learned that the loudest thing in the forest is squirrels. How they are louder than 150 lb deer I don't know.

• Like 1

This is timely for me becasue last week I walked into my deer stand as I usually do - alone at 6:00 am. 

I heard a yote yelp from the direction of my car which was anout 300 yards away now and I had about another 150 yards to walk thru head-tall grass to my stand. 

Suddenly a yote responded from less than a hundred yards to my right and then a whole pack started howling then yelping in a very excitied franetic tone from the same spot. 

They were definitely on to me and, I think, trying to decide whether or not to treat like a predater or breakfast. 

I quickly caulked the bow and loaded a bolt, I had left my decent buck knife in the car. I put on my head lamp and turned it on. They started runnign to parallel my track. I knew their track took them up to the ridge where my stand was. They would either turn right and leave or turn left and create the perfect ambush from high ground in tall grass. 

I moved forward figuring my light would give them away and they would not paricularly like the light. 

I got to my stand without further incident. Just as I reached it the century Yote that was at my car gave another yelp from the exact spot that I was standing when i first heard him. 

I told my buddy the story and to be a little more cautious and prepared when either of us walks in, then this happens...lesson learned.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Choke out a coyote are you serious?? It would turn you to into a paper snowflake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean? If you're getting attacked what else can you do but fight? Ever see their jaws when the head is skinned out? Very frailish. Can't bite that hard, they're only dogs. Think I figured it out, you're saying they'd shred us? Yes possibly but if he's already biting he's gonna shred you anyway. Grab a hold, take some bites n end it. The option is to continue to get bitten. Or run n theyll chase.  Coyotes can be nasty, ever snare one n it's alive when you get there some can be cranky. They've got no choice but imo they're Not good fighters one shot n they quit. Yea yea I know no gun here that's why you have two choices fight or flight n you're getting bit either way so pay it back for the discomfort. Last year at a archery range by the house a rabid coyote attacked a guy. He was retrieving arrows so "unarmed". He pinned it down than stuck n arrow he had retrieved through it. Coulda just choked it out though. That coyote bit a kid on a bicycle just earlier but the kid rode like hell n got away or the coyote just quit chase. Either way the coyotes dead now n the archer killed him before the cops who were called by the bike kids parents got on scene.

Edited by Bowguy 1