What broadheads are you using with your crossbow?

RangerClay

I own neither but curious and looked it up. Here's an interesting reply I found  

Matt357: The word Archery includes crossbows so yes you can use regular BH's for crossbows, I use Slick Tricks, Magnums 100 grain and have for both vertical and crossbows with phenominal success, just returned from Africa and took 8 animals all one shot kills with my Crossbow using the Slick Tricks. I would stsy away from any Mechanical that doesn't have a blade retention system. The word Crossbow on BH is strictly a marketing ploy so that you buy extras even Slick Tricks are advertised that way and guess what? I compared a regular 125 grain slick trick to a 125 grain Crossbow one, same lenght, same blades, same ferrule thickness and both weighed 125 grains and flew the same out of a Crossbow. You can use the BH 's on Crossbows with confidence IMO. Cactus

• Like 1

Sorry, but there's no "one size fits all" answer for the OP's question!

Fixed blade BHs are no different for compound bows than when used on Xbows. Just might take a little more tweaking when going from field tip to BH. Obviously, that's not a huge time consuming endeavor since Xbows use a scope and can be shot from a rest. Most of the same principles apply to Xbows that are used in selecting arrow/BH combinations for vertical bow, although to a smaller degree.

Mechanical BHs are a completely different story with Xbows exerting ~3X the initial inertia (physic's term??) upon the arrow/bolt than do compound bows. Possibly making some mechanical BHs prematurely deploy and  causing erratic bolt flight or trajectory. Not to mention penetration issues if the target is actually hit. Clearly there's a lot of variation in Xbows, type, design, draw wgt, fps, blah, blah. All the little quirks of using mechanical BHs can be expected for ALL bows! This makes suggesting a single mechanical BH impossible for every Xbow. I'm not one to try and reinvent the wheel, so I use what my Xbow mfger suggests, NAP Spitfire. They've done all the testing in the lab and out in the field, so why should I? Some have had issues with these BHs, I haven't as of yet.

May get crucified for this suggestion, but there are other great, strictly Xbow forums where the members have many  more years of hunting experience with Xbows than we do here in NYS. All their equipment reviews &/or discussions reflect this!!! If you venture there, you'll see reviews &/or discussions than are more specific to Xbow models and BHs combos the members have experienced using. Sorry Burmjohn - I love huntingny.com, but...! LOL.

I'm going to agree with above that crozzbow specific mechanicals are MORE than just a marketing ploy.  Think about it...the arrow is accelerating from a dead stop to 300+ FPS in 16" to 18" of distance compared to a compound bow in which the arrow accelerates (often to a lower velocity) over 28" or so.  There is much more force exerted on the arrow and broadhead.

FWIW, I'm using the prepackaged Rage "Simply Lethal" arrow/broadhead setup out of a Wicked Ridge Invader.  I can't tell you about they're hunting effectiveness yet, but they group well with field points.  They do seem to shoot low at 40yd though.

RangerClay- check your owner's manual on your crossbow and see what the minimum finished bolt weight (bolt with broadhead) is recommended by the manufacturer. I have a TenPoint crossbow and the manufacturer recommends a minimum finished bolt weight of at least 420 grains. I am shooting 20" carbon bolts with 125 gr. standard Slick Tricks and they are unbelievably accurate and shoot right to point of aim. The finished weight on them is 427 grains. I did try some 100 gr. broadheads on the same bolts and they shot terrible. It may be as simple as using a higher weight broadhead to solve your problem. See what your manufacturer recommends- no one can give you better advice and be sure and weigh your finished bolt to be sure you are above the minimum recommended weight.

www.valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add

^^^..... and the mfger designed each Xbow's scope multi-range dots/X-hairs with a certain bolt/BH weight combo. Variations in shots at yardages from (closer-further) the zeroing yardage will be influenced by going heavier or lighter. There's also a bit of physics involved with all the inertia created when the trigger is pulled and the ~180# of stored energy is suddenly expelled. You want most of that energy dissipated into the bolt and not completely absorbed by the Xbow itself. Lighter bolts may not do this efficiently and create undue wear to the Xbow parts. They may shoot fine, but eventually something has to give!!! Too much science, go by what your Xbow mfger suggests, if they are a reputable mfger. I went with Aluminum bolts and a 100gr BH, although sacrificing ~25FPS of advertised performance. A compromise! Bulls-eyes at 20->50yrd shots. Not that I'd shot 50yrds, simply a confidence builder knowing the X-hairs/dots are where bolt will impact target or game at varying yardages.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 3:46 PM, grampy said:

NAP Slingblades. 100 gr. 1 and 7/8 inch cut. They fly true and hit where the field points hit. Can't wait to see how they work on deer!

Buddy hit 2 deer with these and has 2 kills with his vertical bow. needless to say they are sharper than rage, more simple, and cheap! i made the switch. 

Since I havn't had a shot at a deer with the crossbow I guess I would quote someone by saying , "at this point , what difference does it make" ! 

First Light suggested the Carbon Express Torrid SS expandables . That's what I have to try out . Hopefully this morning will be the day .