Insulated hunting boots

Hey fellas, I need a new pair of cold weather hunting boots, the 20 degree days my feet froze so I'd like to upgrade from my 1,000g wolverines which are great for work but sitting they are to tight to allow for air circulation so a slightly larger pair with wool socks are in order. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I went through this recently and I'm totally sold on the high swamp-type boots like mucks or lacrosse. Tucking pants in, not worrying about the first foot of water is excellent. I opted for fairly light insulation ones (5mm insulation--they don't rate in grams) and with wool socks they are nice down to a bit below freezing. Down to 20 they are fine with wool socks as long as I also put some of those little foot warmers in too (not hand warmers--foot warmers work better in low-oxygen of boot). This way I get warm feet even on very cold days but don't have to lug around a ton of extra weight. Really dislike some of the really big, heavy boots. I'd look into the lacrosse aeroform or mucks fieldblazer ii, both fairly responsive agile boots.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, a_finelli said:

Hey fellas, I need a new pair of cold weather hunting boots, the 20 degree days my feet froze so I'd like to upgrade from my 1,000g wolverines which are great for work but sitting they are to tight to allow for air circulation so a slightly larger pair with wool socks are in order. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chemical heaters are the only way to fly if stand hunting for more than an hour or two.  If walking, whatever boot you want will work although you may have to walk FAST.

• Like 2

For COLD weather boots, I get them two sizes larger to fit heavy wool sox and the toasty toes warmers. And still have room to wiggle the toes while sitting. Tight boots equal cold feet, no matter what boot you wear. Of course the trade off is added weight and reduced mobility.  I like to have at least one extra pair of hunting boots in my truck, to suit what type of hunting I'll be doing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jared A said:

Lacrosse alphaburly 1000.. My first pair lasted about 6 years. Just bought another on sale from cabelas. That's if you're into knee high rubbers

I did too on thanksgiving for 79 bucks, they said on backorder when I grabbed them, 2 weeks later they said sorry we can't get them, I had to throw a fit to get the same boots in a different camo pattern.

• Like 2

I have found that when it very cold, felt lined PAC boots work the best for me-when it comes to stand hunting, insulated hunting boots can only do so much-I have pairs from 200-1,000 grams of thinsulate. The only thing that comes close to pacs are a pair of Muck Arctic Sports for me.

Will

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

http://www.baffin.com/

Spend the money and cry once! They are the best boots on the market and I have tried a bunch because I have poo circulation in one foot. The only boots that I have worn that come close are the old Mickey Mouse boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of their boots are quite inexpensive on amazon. I really like the full height rubber. That's my only complaint with the fieldblazer ii. The thorns rip the uppers, basically necessitating the use of gaiters unless very careful.

two years ago I was in need of new boots because i tore a 3 in ch hole in my old pair on buried barbed wire.  I picked up a pair of Red Head Expedition Ultra's at Bass Pro.  Fairly inexpensive at $59 on sale ($99ish retail),  1000g thinsulate and 14 inches tall they work fantastic!

Sitting in my blind at 13 degrees for 7 hours.  Thin socks with heavy wool socks over them, my feet were sweating.  I got mine 2 sizes larger which fit perfect with dual socks.

I have had them all. the best boot dollar for dollar are the MicKY Pac boots. I sit out in the cold all day in my tree stand and with feet warmers that is the last thing to get cold. Any surplus store has them so does Sportsman Guide. For under $50 bucks what do you have to loose. 

I found that one of the problems, if not the major reason,  my cold feet were perspiration that caused damp socks. After a very short time my feet were damp and when I stopped walking they grew cold in a short time span.

I kept my boots, both rubber and breathable leather, and modified my sock arrangement. I wear next to my skin a light sock liner that resembles panty hose, and then my "smart wool" sock and allow for movement within the boot.

This allows my feet to remain dry and comfortable all day long. I used to wear two pair of wool socks and cramp my feet. This way now I stay dry and warm all day long....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

I found that one of the problems, if not the major reason,  my cold feet were perspiration that caused damp socks. After a very short time my feet were damp and when I stopped walking they grew cold in a short time span.

I kept my boots, both rubber and breathable leather, and modified my sock arrangement. I wear next to my skin a light sock liner that resembles panty hose, and then my "smart wool" sock and allow for movement within the boot.

This allows my feet to remain dry and comfortable all day long. I used to wear two pair of wool socks and cramp my feet. This way now I stay dry and warm all day long....

Well many will laugh, but I use a blow drier on my feet after showing if I'm going  hunting right away  . It made a big improvement on keeping my feet dry and then warm.

My socks would always be somewhat damp even though I just sit, so rule out sweat. I would towel dry, but if you felt them a bit later they would still be damp, between toes and on the bottoms . Blow drier = as dry a feet as you can get.  I understand this is what the Indians used to do , I learned this from that Ishi fella .

• Like 1