Speaking Of Lost, What's The Worst Thing You've Lost?

Lawdwaz

I'm talking a real tangible item.........not your mind, virginity, hair, libido etc.  I mean something valuable or very special.

The worst thing for me is my wedding ring.  About 7-8 years ago it just came up missing.  I think I might have thrown it in the garbage by mistake as I have a habit of grabbing multiple things with one hand, all destined for different locations.  Maybe I grabbed it along with a couple pieces of tissue/advertising crap from a magazine/tag from clothes from our bedroom and dropped it in the trash can in the bathroom?  Another theory we have is that it was on the bathroom sink/counter and the cat pushed it into the sink or the trash can next to the vanity.  Two theories that might not even be close.  

The new gold band was 5 bills +..............

What's your worst loss?

A folding knife my grandfather gave to me. It was an old Case knife that he carried on him every day. He gave it to me not long before he passed on, and I carried it with me for many years. I kept it on a 'boat' display shelf. When we moved to a bigger house a year and a half ago, all the stuff on those shelves was packed together. But after unpacking and putting everything back where it was, that was the only thing missing. I keep hoping that maybe I put it in with some of the many boxes of my hunting stuff. Or perhaps it got put into one of the boxes of things we decided not to put out in this house. I hope some how it just shows up as it's a link to my grampy. And I want to pass it to one of my grandsons before I take my final bow.

One night I was Coon hunting and my dog struck a track on the edge of a corn field and took the track into a large woods. She took the track in so deep that I could no longer hear her. Not worried because I used  radio tracking collars and standing under a huge oak tree on the edge of a large swamp I took the receiver and directional antenna out of the game bag of the coat I was wearing and and with my compass got a good strong signal due straight north. So I put everything back into my game bad and with compass in hand went directly north and after going a half mile or so I could hear my dog treeing off in the distance. So I get to the dog, spot the coon and shoot it out of the tree and was going to put it in the game bag on my coat but first was going to remove my telemetry receiver and now find that it is not in the game bag, it must of fell out somewhere on that last 3/4 of a mile jaunt through the swamp to the treed Coon. That receiver cost me about $600 and that was 30 years ago, a lot of money for me and I was sick about losing it.

So I was pretty whipped by that time and decided to go home and rest up then come back the next day and see if by chance I could maybe find the receiver. This was not going to be easy because everything looks a whole lot different in the daylight. First thing in the morning I was back to those woods with a plan of trying to retrace my steps to where that coon treed. First thing was to go to the edge of the big swamp and then find that big oak that I stood under when I took the directional reading. So I find the swamp first and then find the big oak where I got my directional reading and with my compass in hand I start walking straight north slowly and scanning every square inch of ground. I was going through a lot of water and thinking to myself even if I do find the receiver it will probably be under water and ruined. Just as I come to the other side of the swamp only a hundred yards or so from where the Coon had treed there sits the receiver high and dry on a hummock clump of grass surrounded by water, I got to say somebody up there liked me on that day as I was lucky as heck to say the least.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

Almost 30 yrs. ago I was out rabbit hunting with my basset hound and he took off on a long running bunny. After he got out of hearing range, I couldn't find him all day. I left my hunting coat in the woods at the end of the day and returned the next day and he was still lost. My kids were young at the time and were devastated. I looked for 2 more days to no avail. I was sure something terrible had happened to him. On the third day I was driving the roads around the area where I lost him and as I drove by a farmhouse, I saw him on the porch. He was soaking wet, cold, and hungry, but was wagging his tail when he spotted my truck. I am sure that if anyone has ever lost a dog, they know it does not compare to losing a material item which can be replaced.

valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 4

I lost (stolen) my wallet while playing hockey years ago. In it was credit cards , money, family pictures, drivers license, and registrations. PITA dealing with credit cards as I didn't remember how many I had so I called and cancelled every card I could think of. Two years ago I lost my I-phone, left it on the Taunau cover after hunting til dark and drove off, never found it and had to replace it plus lost all my contact info! 

I had stolen from my car, a wallet with my rent money in it...that wasn't the big loss, It contained the only picture I had of my deceased Mother in it...I went through every dumpster for 2 miles both sides of the road and walked the culvert ditches for 2 days...

The other my daughter. Went to get her off the bus and he drove by...Frantic Iran to called the Catholic school...she was a kindergartner. She never made it to the bus ...Needless to say I flipped..The police made me stay home and wait...At 6pm I get a call... The local children clothing store owner called to ask if she wanted me to bring her home she was closing up..WTH! Apparently she followed her little girl to the store to have their own little play date,they were class mates. The owner never thought to question why WE had never discussed this play date....Well she did bring her home as I called all the authorities looking for my child. I met her in the drive We had a discussion ,friendly but some points made...she backed out of the drive ,and I tried stopping her,but she didn't listen...took the entire drivers side of her new van out with the telephone pole at the end of our driveway...  Now that's having a bad day...

I have never had such a feeling in my life....my world had been blown up for 3 hours, the relief from her call caused me to throw up. So lost, but thank God found.

My keys. I was at the hunting camp 300 miles away from home, parked 100 yards off of the road, cell reception wasn't available at the time, and the truck was locked. I walked the whole side of the mountain that day, so backtracking to find them wouldn't have been too productive, especially in the dark. I had to walk about 2 miles toward town before I was able to call AAA, they said they'd send a locksmith. Walked back to camp, they never showed, so I hiked back towards town again. AAA left a message that my key was electronic, so the best they could do was tow me to a Dodge dealer. I said send the truck, walked back to camp again. Driver finally showed, then said he wasn't supposed to leave a paved road. I offered him $50 (about all I had on me) to take the driveway back to where my truck was, and he finally gave in. Dropped the truck at the Dodge dealer in Hornell, then got a room at a motel, was about 3 AM by the time I checked in. Note to self- NEVER TAKE YOUR KEYS IN THE WOODS AGAIN!!! Now I leave them in the tailpipe when I hunt.

Lost my wallet (wallet) temporarily in Texas last December, looked everywhere in camp and the outfitter's truck, no luck. Had my money to pay the outfitter, and my ID to get back on the plane home. Only place I could think of was the blind where I'd sat the afternoon before, luckily it was under the chair I had been sitting on. WHEW!!!:heat:

I was separated from my son and my daughter at different times in different stores.. Nothing worse than that feeling. The store was getting ready to lock the doors and call a Code Adam on my daughter when our old babysitter brought her over, she found her playing inside a circular clothes rack. 

Sporting equipment.. lost the tip of a fly rod once. After a long afternoon on the Delaware River, packing up to leave and I can't find the tip section of my 4-piece rod. WTF? It was there when I finished fishing.. Backtracked to my fishing spot, walking and wading, using flashlight cuz it was pretty dark. Nothing. Resigned to losing it. Standing by the car, my buddy says "what's that?", pointing. There's my rod tip, hanging from a tree branch near the car. It had gotten hung up and came off while I was standing there and I didn't notice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Every car we own has spare keys hidden underneath them .

20 minutes ago, growalot said:

LOL...... Not something I'd be willing to advertise...:wink:

Grow, It's like the wrong times you set on your trail cams on purpose. Larry puts a spare set of keys from  another vehicle they own under and hidden :rolleyes:

• Like 1