Dilemma with neighbor

crfingnutz

I recently purchased 11 acres accessed by a r.o.w.  I found a trail cam and tree stand on my land. The stand is facing my pond, only water source around for a bit. I spoke with the neighbor ( only comes up on weekends and during hunting season) he said the cam was his buddies but didn't know about the stand, I told him I was going to take it down if it wasn't removed. 3 months later it's still there. Should I just rip it down? I want to keep things cordial.  

When I first met him he told me all sorts of B.S. about brush hogging my land for years and the previous owner gave him and his friends permission to hunt there. He dosent know the previous owner is my cousin and nobody ever was allowed to hunt there. I don't want to ruin hunting for anyone, how do I deal with this. Thanks

• Like 1

You told the neighbor  to remove it, and after an extended time the stuff is still there. Take it down. If they ask for it politely , give it back pleasantly, but reinforce that you are not allowing others on the land. My land is posted, to protect my interest:I recommend you do the same. my close neighbors and I have a fine working understanding that if we aren't there, we don't mind occ. wandering. It works well with no worries for us, but it isn't for every one.

• Like 2

Rip It down and leave a note on how to get back their stuff if you want to give it back to them. neither the cam nor the stand should be there. He said the stand isn't his so there's nothing he can say about it really. He's lucky you gave him three months because I would have given him a month tops...especially when he flat out lied to you. 

If you want to give the benefit of the doubt, tape a note to it explaining that you are the new owner and the stand is on your property without permission. If not removed within 2 weeks, you will remove it.  If you really want to know who it is, take the bottom section and leave a note asking the owner if the stand to call you if they want the section back as it's on your property.  

• Like 3

Do what Moog suggested and let him know how the person can get the Trail Cam back also . Three months was too long of a wait . Get your Posted Signs up also . Let these folks know that there is a new Sheriff in town . 11 acres isn't much and you don't want a crowd hunting it . 

• Like 2

Just to clarify, the land is posted. I have talked to other people in the area who told me these guys hunt all over everyone else's land in the area. They think because they are retired nypd they get a pass from local Leo's. I can't remove the bottom section, it's wooden and built quite well. I could use my chainsaw.

if these guys didn't try to b.s. me from the beginning I would work with them but now I want to do everything possible to keep them off my land

Edited by crfingnutz
  • Like 1

I've ran into this problem before i took the stand down and left it at the base of the tree it was gone within a couple days.  Just make sure you check your stands though because 2 of our ladder stands had the straps at the top cut in half.  Couldnt prove who did it but had an idea.  Theres no respect for property lines anymore.  Good luck to you.

Take a ladder out where the trail cam is and set your trail cam facing down at the intruder's camera to see who checks it out . Make sure your TC is  inconspicuous so that it isn't spotted and stolen . You would want to use a Black Flash camera .  

How ever you decide, deal with it quickly and firmly or it will persist forever...    You need to have a "zero tolerance" policy or they will continue to help themselves...    Sometime being a nice guy just does not work!!

• Like 2

You never want any problems with your neighbors. Try to avoid conflict at all costs. He did talk a load of BS with you so you see that he can't be trusted right away. The cam should go back to him, he knows who's stand that is. Take it down and let him know if he comes arose the owner he can give it back to them. Next thing to do is post the land. Let him know you are doing this just so everyone knows the boundaries and to keep trespassers off. I would also let him know of your hunting intentions. Being that you only have 11 acres watch where you put your stands especially if he owns a lot more acreage. I meaning border hunting. There are pages and pages of thoughts about stand placement along borders just do what you feel is right. Just know that you may have to explain to him why you're set up on a border of the property. It can lead to all kind of conversation……lol

Rip the treestand down and keep the cam, three months is way too long. I would have given 3 days. With people that BS and are known tresspassers it does not pay to be nice. Too many scumbags out there, its your land and you gave ample notice, its that simple. Too nice and those type of locals will walk all over you and your land.

• Like 2

what was his reaction when you gave him 3 months? That would be part of how I play it. If he was immediately confrontational then you're at the point where you're not going to have a buddy, buddy relationship. You bought the land, it's yours and you were decent about it.

If he wasn't confrontational than he shouldn't have an issue with you taking it down, as you said you would.

I totally understand not wanting to ruin someones hunting, but I'm assuming you bought this land to hunt as well. So there's a point where you'd be affecting your hunting by trying to play nice. I think there are some things you can still do to show you're not a dick like agreeing to recovery rights and what not (assuming he still has "some land") to hunt.

Your first mistake was not calling him on his bs the first time you talked. Should have let him know you are the previous owners cousin and that you he never gave anyone permision. Regardless, even if previous owner had given him or anyone permision let them know they no longer have permision. It is your land now and you do not want anyone on it. Being nice to the neighbors is fine when you first buy property but when they start out with get go you have to stop it quick. Should have given him a week. Then just take everything down.

When we first got our lease I walked the whole 400 acres took down every stand and put them in a pile at front of property after the first week of it being posted. Those who picked up there stands asked about hunting there and we're told to move on. They realized we were going to be tight on the tresspassing. The stands that didn't get picked up were given to an old guy who scraps metal in the area. After that the only ones we had a problem with was the guy  club that borders us. Didn't take long for them to get the hit and now they do not even come out to hunt on there more then 3 time  a year.

13 hours ago, crfingnutz said:

Just to clarify, the land is posted. I have talked to other people in the area who told me these guys hunt all over everyone else's land in the area. They think because they are retired nypd they get a pass from local Leo's. I can't remove the bottom section, it's wooden and built quite well. I could use my chainsaw.

if these guys didn't try to b.s. me from the beginning I would work with them but now I want to do everything possible to keep them off my land

ugh retired leo doesn't make it easy. if it's wooden and homemade they're not out money anyhow. cut it down.

your actions should be highly dictated by how close and often you're there.  if it's a permanent stand built into the tree just pull it out.  remove any tree steps, accessories, or built sections that can be removed and leave at the base of the tree.  if you can't easily enough remove any of it then just cut down the tree.  leave a posted sign attached to the tree.  all of them should include sufficient contact info to get a hold of you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

If you really wanna have fun. Cut down the tree and leave it. I've seen and done that a few times. Talk about sending a message lol.

we've actually took the dozer one weekend and cleared a small wood lot around a couple stands.  just the trees with the stands remained for finishing up the next outing.  stands disappeared quick without a trace of anyone coming to get them.  about as non-confrontational as could be.  wished i could've seen a reaction to that.