Mayweather!!!

chrisw

I think so yes, Floyd is the best at defense, so well that at times people complain about a boring fight, but he always wins. Last night was all about strategy, the same as any fight. Floyd knew if he let McGregor throw bombs early he'd tire out and Floyd could pick him apart. I think you're missing the point here, Floyd didn't come back to fight a champion boxer, he came back to shut a loud mouth MMA champion up. Floyd wasn't running around challenging everyone else in their sport, the idiot was. Floyd admits he's not what he used to be, you show me an MMA fighter that holds the belt for 21 years and then you can talk trash.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I disagree. I think Floyd always avoided certain people (Manny for example) until the time was right and on his terms. I don't like him as a person because he beats women and IMO a man should be locked up for life for doing something so cowardly. I don't like Connor either, I'm just happened he made it so long in the fight and didn't get knocked out in round 1. He didn't win but he showed how down boxing is these days. I stopped following boxing when they gave Felix Trinindad the win over De Lay Hoya, which was nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I disagree. I think Floyd always avoided certain people (Manny for example) until the time was right and on his terms. I don't like him as a person because he beats women and IMO a man should be locked up for life for doing something so cowardly. I don't like Connor either, I'm just happened he made it so long in the fight and didn't get knocked out in round 1. He didn't win but he showed how down boxing is these days. I stopped following boxing when they gave Felix Trinindad the win over De Lay Hoya, which was nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree.  I really think a Manny Pac would have dropped him at least 1 out of 3 but more like 2 out of 3 if they went at it in their primes the way Ali and Frasier went at it in their primes.  Ali never avoided a fight.  Mayweather is a more technical fighter so his skills don't fade as much over time as someone like Manny who relied more on speed and power.

• Like 2

I thought McGregor put on an amazing performance last night. He was counter punching very well in the first half and even towards the end (he was just too gassed to put anything behind these punches) and threw some nice jabs. I still think mcgregor is the better fighter since he fights top contender after top contender, moves up and down weight classes with no problem. Yes Mayweather moved up and down weight classes, but I believe it was all with in 10 pounds which is nothing to compare with mcgregor's 25 pound weight jump. He was going to lose no matter what, but I would have liked to see the fight go on a little further since it was Fatigue more than anything at the end. 

Now I don't respect mayweather at all, but I respect his fight IQ. There really isn't anyone better than him in that regard. But I also think his record is padded with a lot of nobody's or past prime fighters. I'm a pure MMA fan and don't really find boxing to be very entertaining, but it was a good fight. 

The whole thing about connor destroying mayweather in a real fight or an MMA fight is a pointless argument. Of course mayweather wouldn't last more than 2 min in an MMA fight with mcgregor, but how could you expect a 40 year old man to step out of his element? I mean id watch the fight, but no one is really calling for that. Time for Connor to go back to MMA and start kicking some butt again. 

• Like 4

Top boxers never train wrestling, jujistso(sp), etc. It would be foolish for any boxer to enter a MMA match with a high rated fighter without extensive, high level training that takes years to achieve competitive ability.

Large part of a top MMA fighters training is in boxing. Much more realistic for them to try a boxer supposedly past their prime, than a boxer to try a top MMA fighter in their prime.

• Like 2

This is what I wrote on FB early Saturday night - 

August 26 at 7:43pm · 

HOW DO YOU SEE THE FIGHT TONIGHT? I see it this way. I would love to see McGregor knock Mayweather out. The way I see it is his only chance, as there is NO WAY he will win this on points. Therefore I see McGregor pushing the fight from the very start. I see him being dirty as in low blows, elbows, hitting after the bell and on the breaks. I see him getting points taken away from him but he won't care because he knows he needs a knockout to win it. Therefore he has a punchers chance but in the end I think he will run out of gas from pushing the fight and eventually Mayweather will begin to put together punches. If it goes past the 6th round I could see Mayweather eventually taking him out, but will win on points handily.

Also - whoever McG's corner man was should have sent him to the center of the ring for round 10 and just had him stand there and catch his breath and make May come to him. He was gassed and everyone knew he would never out point him so catching his breath should have been a priority.

OK, now the sideshow is over. Start getting ready for Cannelo Alaverez vs. GGG. That will be an actual boxing exhibition that has some merit. I'm not making any predictions. Golovkin has had mixed outings of late, but when he puts his mind to it, nobody can touch him. Alaveraz looked unbeatable last time out. This will be a real boxing match without any clear favorites.

By the way, how is it that a non-boxer lasted 10 rounds with Mayweather? Actually, if McGregor had been prepared to go the distance as a real boxer would have, the results may have been different. I was actually quite impressed with the fact that McGregor went 10 rounds in the shape he was in. He really kind of beat himself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skully said:

Mayweather is 50-0.  give him some credit even though mcgregor is a joke.  Mayweather has beat and made some great fighters look really bad. 

Which great fighter has he fought that was in their prime at the time of the fight?

• Like 2

To put things into perspective, Muhammad Ali beat George Foreman when George Foreman was 25 years old and at the time of the fight, George Foreman was 40-0.  Smokin' Joe Frazier is considered one of the greatest even though he had 4 loses because his 4 loses were all to Ali (twice), and Foreman (twice) and that's it.  This is why boxing has gone downhill.  Back then, the great ones never ran from each other.  Instead, they measured themselves by fighting each other.  Now a days, the so called best fighter in boxing avoids fights until his opponents are old or after that had already taken a lost so he could study how to beat them.  Maybe now that Mayweather retires boxing can be saved when the next star rises and he doesn't cherry pick is matches.

41 minutes ago, Elmo said:

To put things into perspective, Muhammad Ali beat George Foreman when George Foreman was 25 years old and at the time of the fight, George Foreman was 40-0.  Smokin' Joe Frazier is considered one of the greatest even though he had 4 loses because his 4 loses were all to Ali (twice), and Foreman (twice) and that's it.  This is why boxing has gone downhill.  Back then, the great ones never ran from each other.  Instead, they measured themselves by fighting each other.  Now a days, the so called best fighter in boxing avoids fights until his opponents are old or after that had already taken a lost so he could study how to beat them.  Maybe now that Mayweather retires boxing can be saved when the next star rises and he doesn't cherry pick is matches.

Unfortunately boxing is already dying and MMA is thriving right now. The only thing that is stopping MMA from growing even faster is that the fighters get payed nothing to fight compared to boxing. There's been a shift in interest from boxing to MMA. People more around my age are talking about MMA and not really boxing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Unfortunately boxing is already dying and MMA is thriving right now. The only thing that is stopping MMA from growing even faster is that the fighters get payed nothing to fight compared to boxing. There's been a shift in interest from boxing to MMA. People more around my age are talking about MMA and not really boxing. 

As the intrest in MMA grows, so will the money made by the MMA fighters. Once that happens, boxing will play second fiddle to MMA. Lets face it, Mayweather's fights for the most part are boring. On the other hand, even the undercards of a MMA fight are more fun to watch than most of the championship boxing matches. The writing is already on the wall for the future of boxing.

• Like 1

I agree with moog's earlier post, this whole deal was a well concocted get rich scheme by both Mayweather's and McGregor's brain trusts and it worked, behind closed doors they are both laughing all the way to the bank, Mayweather pockets 100  million and McGregor takes home 30 million. All the pre fight bluster and hype leading up to this farce was a page straight out of WWE Wrestle Mania to fire up the fan bases of both MMA and Boxing fan camps to sell tickets. I do believe the fight itself was legit and McGregor gave it his best shot hoping for a puncher's chance but knew he was going to lose this contest right from the get go along with anyone else that knows combat sports. 

Boxing is on the decline because of lack and just about zero exposure to the average person so you have no fan base. In the past all but the mega fights were televised on network TV. When I was a kid there were fights on every friday night, in later years before Disney destroyed ABC and ESPN, Wide World of Sports televised major fights on a frequent basis and NBC also had it's share of good fights. ESPN had Top Rank Boxing, USA network had fights every week. Amateur Boxing was promoted heavily with big events like the USA vs Cuba or Russia being televised.

Pay for view, HBO and Showtime buy up contracts and have an Iron Grip on the sport and in my opinion have ruined it.

Al

Edited by airedale

4 hours ago, skully said:

Mayweather is 50-0.  give him some credit even though mcgregor is a joke.  Mayweather has beat and made some great fighters look really bad. 

McGregor is far from a joke ,he has starched some of the top level strikers in his weight class and he did it very quickly . I understand people don't like him because he says mean ,nasty things and hurts people feelings. He acts like that to sell fight. I'm not even that big of a McGregor fan ,the guy is good fighter and athlete ,he proved it by going 10 rounds with the best pound for pound boxer that ever lived ,and it was his first bout.

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

As the intrest in MMA grows, so will the money made by the MMA fighters. Once that happens, boxing will play second fiddle to MMA. Lets face it, Mayweather's fights for the most part are boring. On the other hand, even the undercards of a MMA fight are more fun to watch than most of the championship boxing matches. The writing is already on the wall for the future of boxing.

Unfortunately Dana White has a vice grip on the fighters since there is no union or laws protecting them. They on average make less than 50,000 per fight. And that's nothing when your putting your life on the line for a fight. SO even when the UFC starts really pulling in big numbers, it won't help the fighters much. 

I also realized after watching this fight card that even the MMA undercards are more entertaining than a lot of the main event boxing matches. I think its the blend of different martial arts that makes it entertaining. 

I watched it on YouTube.  Was not worth paying for a circus act but both laughed all the way to the bank.  

Basically what I expected.  Mayweather let Connor punch himself out and went to work after that.  

Congrats Connor you are the only man Mayweather TKOed!