Dogs in a camp

Buckmaster7600

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Honestly if I thought it was going to ruin our friendship I would leave the mutt at home. My response was to show him that he's being a whinny girl.

As for helping him get a deer, other than filling his tag for him there's not much more that I could do. Last year I spent 14 days up there hunting with him after I killed my buck. I have hung rands for him, done drives to him. He has had plenty of opportunities and either missed or botched it one way or another. Unfortunately when it come to killing deer some people got it and some don't.

He honestly is a good partner he pays his way, he's a good cook, helps with all the chores, is a good dragger and is of no treat to the deer herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No threat to the deer heard, that's great

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

He honestly is a good partner he pays his way, he's a good cook, helps with all the chores, is a good dragger and is of no treat to the deer herd.

I'll trade you my wife for him , he has her beat in a few areas, wife comes with 120 acres in 8H , I may even throw in our house .

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Honestly if I thought it was going to ruin our friendship I would leave the mutt at home. My response was to show him that he's being a whinny girl.

As for helping him get a deer, other than filling his tag for him there's not much more that I could do. Last year I spent 14 days up there hunting with him after I killed my buck. I have hung rands for him, done drives to him. He has had plenty of opportunities and either missed or botched it one way or another. Unfortunately when it come to killing deer some people got it and some don't.

He sounds like my brother in law, who I have hunted deer with occasionally over the last 25 years.  He has also not managed to kill one himself, but is a very good cook and he makes the best beef/venison jerky for miles around.   He raises his own beef, but is completely dependent on others to come up with the venison.   The jerky is too greasy when made with 100 % ground beef and too dry when made with 100 % venison.    

I am convinced that the only way I will be able to help him kill deer is if he first demonstrates the ability on some squirrels.  Maybe after I retire, I will have a little more time to school him on that.  He just has not demonstrated an ability to get it done on "live targets".  He is a heck of a nice guy though, who will do anything he can to help anyone (including netting lots of fish, and setting me up with all the RR corn seed that I need).   He finally did manage to outproduce me on Largemouth bass one day this year on our summer vacation at their camp up on the St Lawrence.  Someday he may do that with smallmouth, northern pike, or walleye, and maybe even deer, but he has a long way to go.    

We've always had dogs at camp friends ,family......only issues  have been stinky drooly ones allowed all over the furniture.

Did you not sit down and make a set of rules you both abide by in your deal?  There are no clause,such a death of one or the other or failure to  cover taxes...abussive actions buy out clause.. Did either of you consider legal protections?

We bought a house once with a shared drive...our lawyer would not handle the deal unless we got the Elderly couple to sign a usage contract..that stated in the event of a sale we could stop it if we didn't like the prospective buyer,and how the drive was to be used and repaired..Well they signed. Died 3 years later and the  fsmily sold the place without informing the new owners of the contract. The new owners wife turned into a real...well I wont say... She finally pushed me far enough I let her have it and clearly explained the ice she was walking on...She went ballistic when she found out..ended up divorcing and abandoning her kids and husband leaving him with the house...Lets just say she was an unstable nut job....He respected the contract until  he sold the place to a great guy he made sure we met.

Dogs are good to go at my camp my dog goes with me but i am the sole owner and any one that visits has got along with the dog jut fine and hell scent control at a deer camp i think the dog is the least of your worries 3 or 4 guys in a camp for a couple days stink worse then any dog... No my dads giant dumb ass lab is another story he occasionally can come to camp great dog but hes 80lbs and thinks hes a lap dog and barks and carries on any time a wheeler is started whines when his owner is gone ugh...

• Like 1

Huh?

Even posing he question of having a dog around your gear means someone doesn't understand the fickle nature of scent control. You won't ever beat a whitetail nose but if you're playing with dogs, cooking dinner or getting gas in your gear you can just throw all wind concern..well...into the wind. Hopefully I don't have to explain your caution would then go downwind and everyone would smell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, unless the dog barks all night, chews up the hunting equipment of other hunters, leaves little piles and puddles all over the cabin floor, or bites people, or runs wild through the woods chasing everything that moves, I really don't see the harm of having the critter along. On the other hand I don't really see the need or purpose for dragging him along either.

At any rate, it is great to outright own my own hunting land. It eliminates these kinds of petty arguments .... or those that are not so petty.

• Like 1

Maybe the guy just doesnt want the dog around. Or maybe he doesnt like your dog and he thinks it is annoying but wants to be polite so he blames the deer hunting. I have a dog.  If my buddy asked me to not bring him I wouldn't.  I dont think it's that big of a deal or that out of bounds that he doesnt want the dog there.  And definitely not something to argue with a friend about.  I love bringing my dog places but i know he can get a little much sometimes to others. 

Edited by diplomat019

If my buddy was an a-hole and killed 3 mature bucks I'd probably whine a little too. There's a big difference getting out hunted by a buddy who's humble. So you are a superior hunter, but lighten up a bit and I bet he will start having fun again (maybe despite not getting a good buck). 

Why not show a good faith effort and offer to buy a scent tote ozone bag to offset the dog/scent issue. Obviously the dog is not the real issue but this does not sound like it's all on his side. (And for the record I own and love dogs). 

• Like 2

You said that he doesn't hunt as often as you, so maybe you can bring the dog when he isn't there and leave him at home when he does hunt?  I think this would be a simple enough solution.  In a partnership, marriage or any relationship one has to make compromises or else they won't last long.  You can't always have it your way.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

Any chance you can leave your dog at home with someone and keep the peace with your hunt partner? After all, you bought in to hunt with your partner, not to have a combo hunting property/camp kennel. One time at the rod and gun, a member brought his bird dog along while others were bow hunting....made a mess in the cabin and whatever...never again. Sorry, I like dogs, but not at hunt camp.

• Like 1

Any chance you can leave your dog at home with someone and keep the peace with your hunt partner? After all, you bought in to hunt with your partner, not to have a combo hunting property/camp kennel. One time at the rod and gun, a member brought his bird dog along while others were bow hunting....made a mess in the cabin and whatever...never again. Sorry, I like dogs, but not at hunt camp.

Yea I could but when you're in a camp that's 10 miles off the road by yourself for 6-10 days at a time it is nice having a dog.

• Like 2

Even posing he question of having a dog around your gear means someone doesn't understand the fickle nature of scent control. You won't ever beat a whitetail nose but if you're playing with dogs, cooking dinner or getting gas in your gear you can just throw all wind concern..well...into the wind. Hopefully I don't have to explain your caution would then go downwind and everyone would smell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand scent control. But in a 20x20 cabin with no power in the middle of no where it's a lost cause. Between a wood stove and no washing machine or running water for a shower it's not worth even attempting.