Favorite squirrel gun?

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have become pretty fond of my Henry big loop 22 with a 16" barrel. 57190fda981bab84db017fac1d31e93d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the specs the barrel is 16.125 inches.  https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-carbine-rifle/

Did you shorten it to an even 16?  LOL 

If I were a rifle being brought to Buckmaster, I'd feel like a horse being brought in to be gelded!  LOL

• Like 3

According to the specs the barrel is 16.125 inches.  https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-carbine-rifle/
Did you shorten it to an even 16?  LOL 
If I were a rifle being brought to Buckmaster, I'd feel like a horse being brought in to be gelded!  LOL

I rounded, this is one of the few I haven't cut. If it weren't for stupid laws it would likely be shorter!

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've tried at more gun raffles for one of those. All I left with was a headache from lousy draft beer. Someday one will hit my safe.

I'm in one now for a Henry 22 rifle!! Drawing Oct. 22nd. Reminded me to buy a couple more tickets!

I shoot a Charles Daley .22lr bolt gun, I picked it up used years ago for $100, it's the best shooting 22 I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. I shoot CCI 22 quiets, you can literally hear the bullets "whump" the squirrels, and the other squirrels don't have a clue I'm shooting, also doesn't destroy them quite so bad.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IMG_20160922_100115844.thumb.jpg.a9d3743
  • Like 5

Early season when the leaves are on and the squirrels are work the high treetops for hickory nuts and acorns, my favorite gun is a 1936 vintage Winchester model 12 in 16 gauge....With its full choke and  one ounce of #6 shot, it will pop the squirrels out of the highest treetops with authority...If they are close I simply hold a couple inches in front of the nose to headshoot them and avoid excess meat damage..

After the leaves come down I prefer my 1973 vintage Ruger 10/22...It is currently wearing a Burris 4X compact and is sighted in with Remington  Standard velocity target long rifles..  It will group " minute of squirrel head"  out to about 50 yards, which is as far as I'll shoot anyway.

• Like 5

The one I shot the most with was my grandad's old Remington 510P targetmaster bolt action .22 LR that I had drilled and tapped for a 3X Bushnell Banner scope.   It was a tack-driver for many years, but the accuracy dropped off big-time, and I was never able to figure out why.   I traded it away, about 25 years ago, and got a Ruger 10/22 with a Simmons .22 mag scope.  That is my favorite now.  The 9 extra shots are nice, and it is as accurate as my old Remington bolt-action ever was.  The only problem is that I don't have as much time to hunt squirrels now as I use to.  

I eat the squirrels, and use the tails for fishing lures, but I look at hunting them more as target practice for deer hunting.  If it was not for that, my favorite squirrel gun, when the leaves are still up, would be my old Winchester, single-shot, full-choked .410.  I can not recall ever missing a squirrel that I shot at with that.   It is definitely not as good of practice for deer hunting though.  All you got to do is get close with it.  I much prefer to target an individual hair on any squirrel or deer that I shoot at.  Aim small - miss small is the way to go.   Doing that has helped me to put every deer that I have shot at over the last 12 years, with any weapon, into the freezer.  

Unfortunately, I can't say that about the squirrels.  Two years ago, I dropped one from a tree with my 10/22 and I heard it hit the ground with a thud.   It managed to crawl into a rock wall at dusk, and I was not able to recover it.  I think that loss helped me go 4/4 on deer last year, and convinced me to pass on a few shots that I may not have connected on.    

Edited by wolc123