Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Ok asking for expierenced help. 9 am shot a doe, didnt think of the arc of the arrow, hit a branch and it dropped into her paunch. Found the arrow, watery blood, tracked about 10 yards found bloody mess sprayed on the base of a tree with bloody chewed acorns. Put the arrow there and walked out. Plan giving 6 hrs. Never gut shot a deer. Is 6hrs sufficient?

1 hour ago, StevieSacs said:

I gave him about two hours and just went looking for him. Blood was super spotty so I walked in the general direction and just bumped him. Going to come back around 2 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time is what you need to give him...gut or liver can take 8+ hours to kill him. The absolute worst thing you can do is go after  him too soon...if it’s liver I bet you’ll find him dead in his next bed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Ok asking for expierenced help. 9 am shot a doe, didnt think of the arc of the arrow, hit a branch and it dropped into her paunch. Found the arrow, watery blood, tracked about 10 yards found bloody mess sprayed on the base of a tree with bloody chewed acorns. Put the arrow there and walked out. Plan giving 6 hrs. Never gut shot a deer. Is 6hrs sufficient?

leave it be she'll lay down 

9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

The longer the better. Head back in there after 5.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This guy came in

with a spikr

D9ABA0DB-6141-4F95-9E3A-3A26FE672B0A.jpeg

14D2C140-62B3-406C-8220-B4DACF5F94FF.jpeg

AB458CEE-A560-4AE3-8D23-BB28C8E947DD.jpeg

You hunting near me? Because I pulled the apple tre card on the way in and 2 buck that look JUST like that were at the apple tree this morning... good thing I didn't go there, they  were there  at the time I hit the road for my walk down hill... That will be my afternoon stand...wind cooperation needed..:wink:

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Nah. Suck it up, it's opener !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lol.  Grunted, bleated coughed, threw sticks and finally after laughing and yelling it got up and bolted.   

Turns out neighbor did not shoot the shooter.  Got spooked.  Shot a buck with him.  We found him.  

IMG_1098.JPG

• Like 15

In stand at 6 out at 10. bumped one on the way in ,made a ton of noise climbing. I forgot 2 things, tow rope and phone,not bad. Need to squirrel hunt and figure a way to nuke the chipmunk population,,,It was such a wonderful morning, The night sky walking in was spectacular and I'm so glad I wore my winter gear! Just 1 doe and twins snuck past 35 yrds behind me...I was in the middle of the oaks and hoped they'd feed past me towards the main plot... they did...just in a different direction.  Then the gun club let loose ...morning stopped being fun bam,kapow, bam,bam,bam, kapow.........think they are having an event...Just a ton of deer on the card pull from apple tree 5-11pm... and two young buck showed...Got home Mr B has the dble frig was running...He was hopeful too...I had fun!

Oh ya...flock of turkey flew off roost behind me and fed up the hill through the oak...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

8-10 hours...they don’t start to spoil until they’re dead and that may take 6+ hours with a gut shot...losing a deer is losing a deer, whether it be to coyotes or being pushed into the next County.

1 hour ago, StevieSacs said:

I gave him about two hours and just went looking for him. Blood was super spotty so I walked in the general direction and just bumped him. Going to come back around 2 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bumped him give him 6-8 more hours...the deer in my avatar was single lung and liver and I bumped him 6 hours later.

needed dog search the next morning to help me recover it next to a garage...good news dogs will almost always find liver hits.

consider calling dog search rather than messing up the limited trail...and the dog handler can finish the animal with a gun.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

31 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Go back around 4 this afternoon and bring someone with you or call deer search.  If you have a buddy have one guy looking at the blood and one guy watching for the deer. So slow and as quite as you can.

• Like 2