Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I premeasure out the whole bottle of BH209 and put each load into Lanes Tubes. Sealed up, never have to worry about humidity.

Blackhorn's site claims that 209 doesn't react to humidity anyway.  I don't know if it's totally true, but that's supposed to be one of the benefits of the product.

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

All right someone has to shoot a last hour deer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No rush. 12/31 end date in Westchester, January for Long Island, and January for many other states. This thread is far from done. Then we can still got other seasons in other states, but I guess that would be live from the woods 2018 ?

"Blackhorn 209 is virtually non-hygroscopic. Changes in temperature or humidity do not affect performance. Blackhorn 209 will not setup or degrade like some other propellants. Shelf life is essentially unlimited."

I just cut & pasted this from their website, but I'm sure you're correct. Good to know.  It makes sense, cuz that's the way ML hunting goes!

1 hour ago, Belo said:

My extension isn’t needed to load, just clean. Do some of you guys need the extension to load too?

You're correct , same with mine . I sold it two,years ago and haven't used it for a few prior , memory was a bit foggy on that .

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Biz we just talking real world not NYC!!

2A has no season. But in all seriousness, I usually have to turn to Bowsite in the months outside of NY deer season to follow along on all the out of state hunts and Africa hunts since this forum only has a handful a year at most.

No rush. 12/31 end date in Westchester, January for Long Island, and January for many other states. This thread is far from done. Then we can still got other seasons in other states, but I guess that would be live from the woods 2018 ?
Any good public spots near peekskill? I may be able to squeeze a hunt and family visit into new years weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Any good public spots near peekskill? I may be able to squeeze a hunt and family visit into new years weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’ve never hunted public in Westchester. I believe there are a few spots but some require a proficiency test before the season starts. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more detailed info.

And that's a wrap for this guy. Was really hoping that either dad or TF scored tonight... NADA. Ah well, 18 will be the best yet I think ! Now, change gears to yote mode. FoxPro on its way back from service, snow camo all unpacked and ready, dog killer needs to get shot a few times to verify zero...then ITS ON !!!! Who's with me !!!!???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I hunted a new area that I set my cam up at last week Sunday evening. Had a close encounter with this great buck, but unfortunately I had no shot. He walked past my cam at 3:30 and I had him at about 40 yds not long after that. I'm really kicking myself that I didn't go with my original plan to set up where my cam was. I might get the perfect wind xmas day, and if so, I'll be there waiting for him.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba44d73136dcfd7fa0a68c4a3c9c6dcb.jpegimage.thumb.png.062566cef0b07e4292d26e4c32b94bfe.png

On another note, there were plenty of scrapes that were opened up again this past week.

image.thumb.jpeg.b02ec8b3f6e6afe792383e1fe049cc9d.jpegMy guess is that we are now in the 2nd post rut phase. I also got a pic of one buck that shed one side this week. 

image.thumb.jpeg.95add05216ee93fb29dbfb6e4609b63f.jpeg

• Like 1

Almost connected......was like a hail marry bomb that bounced off the receiver's finger tips......was making my way back to my truck and I caught tails in the gapes....slowed down my pace and ended up catching a nice size Doe sneaking back towards me.....I paused and after she ducked under a grape vine and passed me I took a step back and once I settled the scope....she was in full gate only presenting a Texas heart shot! Not for me so I watched her bound away and the season is a wrap!

Time to warm up the water.....tag soup coming up!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For three nights in a row had deer across the medow in front of my other stand, last night bumped three right in front of my stand going to it,  get in early today and try to beat them there and they decided not to show up...

Crafty critters sometimes :)

All in all for me great season and glad its over...

Next project board and batten for the camp...

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

I’ve never hunted public in Westchester. I believe there are a few spots but some require a proficiency test before the season starts. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more detailed info.

I never hunted them but I believe the DEC has watershed property open that’s public. You need to register for a free car tag and license to be on the watershed property.
I’m in a management program that Biz mentioned but that application come out in the spring or so

I had a beautiful buck in the crosshairs but unfortunately he was up too close to the road, no backdrop, and probably a touch too far anyway. He had to be 200 yards. I think my gun is capable of it but I'm not. Cool way to end the season though, I was only out for 45 minutes after zipping home from the airport

• Like 3

No deer down, but a great afternoon in the woods. I watched the woods change from a warm orange to a cool blue as the sun dipped behind the ridge to the west.

A couple of minutes after that, I saw some chasing about 200 yards away, and then watched them slowly make their way towards the opening I was sitting near.

It was past legal light, and I started descending with the climber, when they turned towards me. Season over, my mission was to get down undetected. And that's when I noticed him, the 8 point I've been hunting. 40 yards, light fading and I'm halfway down the tree.

I watched him take his time entering the opening, checking all around for minutes before following the four does.

He's young, probably 2.5, with a nice typical rack. I am so happy to see him in person, and to see that he made it through the season.

Now I hope he makes it through the winter.

What a great season for me and so many others. Loved reading this thread while in the woods, and especially while at work.

Thanks all... Have a great holiday season. Merry, happy, joyous...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Feeling a bit under the weather. Dr prescribed an elevation change of about 25’ and cool moist air for 8 hours. Hoping to let one fly in 3s tomorrow- last chance for the current boots before the Baffins are purchased (hopefully on a post Christmas clearance rack!)

• Like 2