Besides that big buck...

growalot

Nothing special at all really , whatever  happens ,happens . Never had a hit list , barely ran my cameras this year , and haven't checked them in a while .

oh it would be cool if my daughter shot a nice buck , but between her work and out of town weddings not sure how much she'll be out . I'm getting her a 7mm 08 though . 

• Like 1

My parents who have been living in a tour bus style rv for the past 2 years just bought a home down the street.  I am hopeful for a lot more hunting opportunities.

My primary goal is to log hunting hours in the high 30's per week like the good old days.  

Secondary is filling all my archery and doe tags.

Finally I'd like to drop a legit P&Y buck, but my lack of buck success last season will test my will.

Help my dad get a decent deer. Hunted for 25years and all he got was a basket 8 and 5.  May be abit of a challenge. Hes recently disabled and got his license to shoot out of a vehicle.  And my truck is fire engine red.  So i will park it in the brush on edge of cornfield and find someway to brush it in.

• Like 1

A few "firsts" would be nice:

1.) Kill an Adirondack buck while still-hunting.    

2.) Kill an antlered buck during the southern zone late ML season.    

3.) On one hand, I would love to get a chance to try the bloodglow that I bought 3 years ago, to find a deer carcass after dark.  On the other hand, I hope all those I shoot continue to drop dead in their tracks or close enough to hear crash like they all have since I bought it.   If anyone needs a hand finding one near WMU 9F or 6C, shoot me a pm.  

(the bucks do not need to be "big", especially after Thanksgiving, but 2-1/2 year olds would be just right)

Edited by wolc123

8 hours ago, growalot said:

You all have dancing around in your dreams and on that wish list...What other thing or things are you hoping for this season....Me...It would be a Holloween buck...don't know why mile stone date I suppose that or a great opening day mature doe or big buck..didn't say rack I said buck:wink: but if the rack had a sticker or 2 I wouldn't complain.....

And what would it take to be called a "Rack"? 4-6-8pt?

9 hours ago, growalot said:

What other thing or things are you hoping for this season

What I am hoping for is a nice fall. While I enjoy matching wits with the whitetails I enjoy being out there for the colorful transition from fall to winter. I have spent many a day not seeing anything and still walked out of the woods a happy man.

It is without a doubt my favorite time of the  year.. Deer just add to the experience. :elf:

Edited by Steve D

5 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Got one of those and a teal, I was gonna say a beautiful banded drake pin tail 

That'd be awesome!! I've never shot a pintail. I have bands from mallards and geese so far 

We killed a 22 year old bird last late goose season. 

Edited by BigVal

Fall is my recharge season even though it is amidst my busiest time of life. I hope for the ability to sit in a tree and just BE in the tree-not worrying about what paper I need to grade or bill I need to pay or athletic contest I am missing of my kids or my honey-do list at home or any other BS that I am trying to recharge to face when I am out of the woods. Good post growie- thanks for the reminder of why I hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to sit in a tree and forget the rest of the world and watch animals go by. Hoping for a big boy to stroll by me before my trip to Nebraska but if not I'll have a week left of bow season after I get back. For my Nebraska trip I really hope to be able to stick a 150 plus incher. We will see how it all plays out.

I want my tent-deer-camping trip, to work out. But, having a two-season single wall dome tent with the roof all screen is making it hard to figure out how to deal with temps in the low 40's at night. Condensation will make things difficult. You get damp in those temps, you will stay damp and cold at night. 

Edited by ....rob

I want my tent-deer-camping trip, to work out. But, having a two-season single wall dome tent with the roof all screen is making it hard to figure out how to deal with temps in the low 40's at night. Condensation will make things difficult. You get damp in those temps, you will stay damp and cold at night. 

Good sleeping bag. Solves all problems. Spent a lot of time in my north face mummy bag out west in the worst conditions and only froze my ass off one night. But the bag, ground, me and everything around was drenched. That was the only time I got a good dose of hypothermia and the rest of the group had to end up huddling together so we didn't freeze to death. We didn't even have tents. Just tarps over a single rope between trees. Way out in the backcountry in Montana...damn that was a good trip lol.

Great question Growie,

I'm hoping for good weather on the days I have off to hunt, so I can just enjoy being out in the woods away from it all and reconnect with the magic of the fall.  To step foot in the deer woods with a snow covered ground is about as good as it gets in life. Being able to see the tracks that tell the story of what passed by adds volumes to the game in our heads and the deer's brown doesn't blend in so well, so sightings go up too.

Sharing some hunts with good friends and being there to help with getting the deer out are things I look forward to as well.

It would be great to just see a giant buck or a black bear while on stand, and having one show up on a trail cam is always in my hopes too.

• Like 1

The next deer will be my first deer.  I will be very thankful to take an older doe or buck with a clean kill shot.   Last year I passed up a young deer because it didn't feel right.  I'm in this for the meat, but don't have any interest in fawns or button bucks.  

Just need a bit of luck considering that there are 3-5 of us hunting the same small area out back.  Nov 4th won't get here soon enough!