Minimum shooting age

Doc

This is a hard question to answer. The reason I say that is the training. Forget the age, when a hunter knows major safety like what's behind your target, gun safety etc, and can navigate the woods comfortably, knows his opponent - basic tracking and recovery skills then they are ready. I also think they should be accompanied @100% for a season or two no matter what the age. No matter the age there will always be idiots out there, that can ruin it for the rest of us. I like the idea though that 12 may be the new age. I plan on taking my son hunting more and more as he grows up. He's 4 and has already logged quite a few hours with me for bow season. The more I get him out there, the more I can teach him in a real world scenario and the better off he will be when he heads to his own stand someday.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The reason I was asking is because I would think that the government would have to supply some minimum ages for kids to be running around, unsupervised, firing off guns. The concern is for their safety and also any unsuspecting other people that they may come into contact with.

First of all, we all know there are minimum ages for unsupervised hunting, but I can't recall ever seeing laws regarding unsupervised target practice and other gun use.

So maybe this topic has two parts:

1.   Are there such laws regarding minimum unsupervised gun use?

2.   If you were implementing such a law, what age would you establish as the minimum?

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, Doc said:

Do you think there should even be a government mandated minimum age

I personally am not for any government mandates. The dilemma with setting a age is some may be ready at that age and some may not. I know a couple of kids that have been hunting and target shooting by themselves since they were 12 yrs old (with their parents blessing on their property); and others in their 30's that still shouldn't have a gun.

Tough one to call.

• Like 4

Hard to say really. Its more of a subjective thing. Some are responsible enough at a very young age and there are some adults that I would question how responsible with a firearm they are. I would say that they should be allowed to hunt on their own after their first year hunting. I think a lot of parents let their kids hunt by themselves from the beginning anyway. 

I am okay with 16 for a minimum unsupervised age,  but only if you have had at least two years of supervised hunting under your belt. I don't like the idea of just putting a gun in the hands of a kid and letting them have at it on their own without a few years mentoring from a responsible adult. Yet, there is always the question of "Is the mentor a responsible adult?" The earlier we start kids out hunting the more years of supervised experience they will get before being able to hunt on their own... starting age should be at the discretion of the parent... I believe minimum unsupervised hunting age should be a standard however.

32 minutes ago, nyantler said:

I am okay with 16 for a minimum unsupervised age,  but only if you have had at least two years of supervised hunting under your belt. I don't like the idea of just putting a gun in the hands of a kid and letting them have at it on their own without a few years mentoring from a responsible adult. Yet, there is always the question of "Is the mentor a responsible adult?" The earlier we start kids out hunting the more years of supervised experience they will get before being able to hunt on their own... starting age should be at the discretion of the parent... I believe minimum unsupervised hunting age should be a standard however.

I agree 100% Just for shooting/target that should be up to  the parents.I also do not believe a child should have access to fire arms with out the parents consent.I wouldn't want my 12 year old hunting alone 

• Like 2

NO, if I had to wait until I was 16 to walk through the woods with a gun I would have missed out on at least 8 years of the best memories of my youth. Walking around in the woods with a gun was my favorite thing to do as a kid. I had very strict parents and couldn't leave my yard on my bike until I was probably 13 or 14 but I was very young when I had my own gun cabinet and could use them when I wanted to. That being said I was very well aware that if I did something stupid with them It wouldn't be good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing is for sure, "kids" need to be taught as young as possible gun SAFETY. Respect for the machine and what it can do. I was a god awful handful as a child but I NEVER EVER went in the gun cabinet. I.e. peed in outlets, peed down the heat ducts, started everything on fire, broke alot of toys and windows...etc. I think that if there was to be some good legislation it would rely on parents / adult supervision. Like, a child under XX age must be accompanied by an adult, then after XX years of supervised gun usage, a parent / guardian can sign off, fill out a form (etc) allowing their child to be afield with a firearm. It sounds silly but think of the xbow requirements..... Read this, cut this out, sign it and keep on you... Really ?

Again I think my point to this is with enough supervision and field experience with a qualified adult, a 10 yr old could prob be safer than a guy who's been hunting for 40yrs.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:52 AM, Doc said:

What legal minimum age would you recommend for gun hunters/shooters that are unaccompanied by an adult? Do you think there should even be a government mandated minimum age?

That Is a tuff one I know 13 year olds that are more responsible then  some adults ,  I guess the same age you can join the milatery would make sense, but  If it is private land then I would leave  it up to the parents or the owner of the land to make that decision. 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

16 for unsupervised . I believe that is the law now and I agree with age.. as  you can drive car by your self then.  Lowering to 12 for gun I agree with as.my.12 year old.nephew is much more mature than his 14 year old brother. Who we have constant supervision on ..

On ‎01‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, TreeGuy said:

I guess 16 makes sense because If you can drive a car, you should be able to use a gun on your own. I still think it should be younger with some training requirements but an overall safety age is 16.

sort of agree but what always got my goat ( Not the yelling goat ) is that men/women can go off to war at 18 and I can't buy them a beer for their service.

I'm comfortable with NYS's current age restriction   But like you said Treeguy getting the youngsters out there just to be with you and not even be hunting as too young still allows them to be more ready when they do hit the legal age. Making them more prepared when the time comes to "hunt".  Samantha had hundreds and hundreds of hours in with me before she could tote a gun. I can't think about her hunting by herself as she'll fall asleep and never see anything ,lol. She's still batting a thousand in that department. I'm going to print all those pics out and make a collage for her

Fact of life is everyone is made different, their judgement, temperament, tolerance, intelligence, etc, that along with environment and upbringing and training will all play a significant factor in how they handle themselves using firearms. Considering the big picture that there are so many variables a one age to fit all would be difficult to pin down, personally I would tend and lean toward going with an older age for unsupervised firearm use. 

Al

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'm comfortable with NYS's current age restriction  

Is there a minimum age for unsupervised gun operation? I know they have age restrictions on hunting, but are there any restrictions on unsupervised target shooting and other non-hunting gun activities?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is there a minimum age for unsupervised gun operation? I know they have age restrictions on hunting, but are there any restrictions on unsupervised target shooting and other non-hunting gun activities?

Pretty sure there is not . Common sense I guess comes in to play for the parents.  I was just allowed last year to go into the woods by myself with a firearm by my folks^_^

• Like 1

I think 16 is a pretty good age to be able to hunt alone. I would like to see 12 supervised for 4 years and you have to have 4 years of supervision before you get to hunt alone. Mother or Father have to sign off that the kid was in the field. This is for big game. 

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pretty sure there is not . Common sense I guess comes in to play for the parents.  I was just allowed last year to go into the woods by myself with a firearm by my folks^_^

Common sense???? .........lol. That's in pretty short supply these days.

It seems odd to me that minimum ages for firearms use is regulated only in cases of hunting. I probably don't really want to get anywhere around a bunch of neighborhood kids who are out there, untrained and unsupervised shooting the place up.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

One of my fishing buddys took his Dads boat out for the first time and almost sunk it at 40.  His Dad said maybe they would try again when he was 50.

I remember when I was 10 i had a BB gun and chased red squirrels though the woods.  I dont think they set a minimum age because there are laws that if your menacing with a firearm it covers every age.  Dont need a law for everything or need to be told everything by the govt.  Sometimes it can be left up the parents.  For instance if there was this law it would determine at what age your child can shoot a target BB gun.  We dont need it.  Plenty of laws to cover bad things that are done with guns. If a kid is walking thru town brandishing a firearm there are plenty of other things to get them on and chances are it isnt for a good reason if they arent in the woods. 

Minimum age is set for hunting because there are required classes and permits to obtain for hunting and have to show some sort of ID and proof of age etc.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Growing up before we were allowed to even touch a gun we knew where they were and what they did. The key to the cabinet was even kept in the lock for quicker access and if we put it somewhere else like up safe we got our ass in trouble. I think at a very young age is the perfect time to introduce guns. Bad time is starting when they're in their teens when they think they know everything and know they can get away with some risk.

When anyone is proven responsible and knowledgeable enough to go out on their own with a firearm is definitely case by case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Growing up before we were allowed to even touch a gun we knew where they were and what they did. The key to the cabinet was even kept in the lock for quicker access and if we put it somewhere else like up safe we got our ass in trouble. I think at a very young age is the perfect time to introduce guns. Bad time is starting when they're in their teens when they think they know everything and know they can get away with some risk.

When anyone is proven responsible and knowledgeable enough to go out on their own with a firearm is definitely case by case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more! The younger the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk