2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

The old zig when I should have zagged happened this morning.

The long beards I have been chasing all week have done the same thing everyday roost in the corner of my property fly down and head onto neighbors where I can’t hunt. 3 days in a row I got busted trying to draw on them but I don’t have any good cover to set up in. This morning my plan was to set in the corner and try to bust the flock up and push them back on my property. Hens came through the hedge row I scared them they all took of running. I got up and ran around them thinking they would go back to where they came from. I get tucked in and 2 minutes later here then gobbling where I started my morning. Heading to look for new customers now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Swing and a miss....  as it got light, my cousin and I spotted two blobs in the tree only 60 yrds from where we were sitting.  Turned out they were the toms. They only gobbled on roost a few times, and I couldn't believe they pitched down  at 5:20. It was still dark enough that we could hardly see them 80 yrds away.  They ended up gathering up the ladies, and over the hill they went.  

About 20 min later we hear one gobble about 100 yrds behind us.  Now the problem is there's a fence 10' behind me. Not a ordinary fence mind you.  It's a 5' tall wire fence with 2" x 4" grid. Bird came in to about 20 yrds.. I don't think the wad made it through the fence, causing the shot pattern to go who knows where. Tried to get up quick to shoot over the fence, but he wasn't letting that happen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

idk. On opening day I had multiple jakes and a few hens on the ground as early as 5:30. But watched 4 blobs (2 of which i knew were toms) in the trees until 7. A few even flew from tree to tree and changed roosts. 

Sometimes bad weather will keep them in the trees. Ive also bumped birds on that ground that have flown up into a tree and stayed there, one until i was walking out hours later

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Tornado warnings here, wonder what turkeys do when they get blown out of the tree lol 

Should be damn good tomorrow am. 

Hunt downwind of their roosting spot tomorrow. And keep an eye open for my garbage cans too.  :pleasantry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well been dragging it out for 15 years but im going to take my old box call and try turkey hunting one more time.  Not expecting anything only a box call and no decoys. Dont even know where im heading in the am but its better than being in the house.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well been dragging it out for 15 years but im going to take my old box call and try turkey hunting one more time.  Not expecting anything only a box call and no decoys. Dont even know where im heading in the am but its better than being in the house.

Many a bird have been fooled with a box call and no deeks.  

Good luck... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Please post up results of morning.  Soft talk the box call. 3 note yelps , purrs and clucks. Smash one   Looking forward to reading your experience 

45 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

That is the extent of my turkey gear.  Bought a vest and filled one pocket.  Lol. Good luck. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Back in 92 (12yrs old) when I started my dad and I went out clueless with a $6 box call and had birds all over us. Good times. 

Absolutely.  Some of my most memorable hunts were the earlier ones. A box, and a slate was all I had.  Can still remember the first time a tom responded to my calls. I about tripped over myself getting set up. Lol

• Like 1

It's on tomorrow hope the turkeys get their rest on roost tonight. Ill be out bright and early gonna try a new spot where I seen a ton of them last deer season. A couple days ago they were in the middle of the road not far from where I plan to hunt 2 gobblers and 6-8 hens. Wish me luck. Gonna run and gun as usual.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Anybody seeing any warblers / wood thrush yet ? Grouse drumming? Did hear wrens the other morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay,  I have not seen any warblers yet...No thrushes either, although I expect they are around...they are not rare in my area but I also don't see them on a daily basis...I did hear an ovenbird this morning, first of the season...Also, I saw meadowlarks last week in Canada... Grouse are drumming......Even heard a cock pheasant crow yesterday, which is rare for my area...Must have been a survivor from the birds that they planted last fall...

• Like 1