Boy Scouts...

bugsNbows

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

I really don't think you will have to turn your nuts in, at the door, to go to a scout meeting.

Boys will be boys!  Heck, a lot of our thoughts and ideas back in the day, were to figure out how to "get with the girls"!

But I can see the point here. Would The Duke or Clint, russle up a bunch of girls to go chase down bad guy's? Naww....don't think so.

right and there is also always girl cooties......eww girls.  lol   

I do tell the GF not to hug me before i leave for deer hunting so I dont get girl stink on me ..... im so romantic!  

• Haha 2

i used to be a Boy Scout.. i quit because of stuff like this, as in everybody had a complaint about something and we just had meetings instead of doing actual scouting activities. I won't loose sleep over the decision. i do think it's a crock of *&^% though given the reasons i've largely been hearing.  it's been discussed a lot lately. parent's claimed their girls wanted to do more things the boy scouts did that girl scouts didn't or wouldn't. so instead of both scout groups working together or girl scouts giving them what their membership wanted those parents went to the boy scouts and said change your sh*t to meet my needs or else. other reasons were that parent's now both work and have no time to send one to boy scouts and another kid to girl scouts. i'm sorry if i didn't think we were all living in 1950 up until just recently, also sorry your burdened to give your kids differing opportunities and life skills versus a "kill two birds with one stone" activity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

right and there is also always girl cooties......eww girls.  lol   

I do tell the GF not to hug me before i leave for deer hunting so I dont get girl stink on me ..... im so romantic!  

she should just act more like a boy and understand.  obviously she should've been a modern day "scout"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

she should just act more like a boy and understand.  obviously she should've been a modern day "scout"

the funny thing is she could probably out "boy" scout us all.  She has a daughter, three adopted kids and two foster kids and takes them all camping by herself for an entire week.  There ought to be a badge for that! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I won't loose sleep over the decision. i do think it's a crock of *&^% though given the reasons i've largely been hearing.  it's been discussed a lot lately. parent's claimed their girls wanted to do more things the boy scouts did that girl scouts didn't or wouldn't. so instead of both scout groups working together or girl scouts giving them what their membership wanted those parents went to the boy scouts and said change your sh*t to meet my needs or else. other reasons were that parent's now both work and have no time to send one to boy scouts and another kid to girl scouts. i'm sorry if i didn't think we were all living in 1950 up until just recently, also sorry your burdened to give your kids differing opportunities and life skills versus a "kill two birds with one stone" activity.

I wasn't sure how to express my feelings (see what I did there) on this however you did a pretty good job of it for me.

In the end this really hurts no one if the boy scouts remains the same except they just drop the "boy" off of it and call it scouts. However I feel that wont be the case. Give it time and certain things the boy scouts have always done will no longer be allowed because now there are girls involved. 

My daughter is in the Girl Scouts and that's where she will remain. I will teach her what she needs to know about the great outdoors including hunting and fishing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the funny thing is she could probably out "boy" scout us all.  She has a daughter, three adopted kids and two foster kids and takes them all camping by herself for an entire week.  There ought to be a badge for that! 

you could've just said you respect and fear her. we'd understand. i'd ask where i sign my daughter up but the distance is a deal breaker. lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I wasn't sure how to express my feelings (see what I did there) on this however you did a pretty good job of it for me.

In the end this really hurts no one if the boy scouts remains the same except they just drop the "boy" off of it and call it scouts. However I feel that wont be the case. Give it time and certain things the boy scouts have always done will no longer be allowed because now there are girls involved. 

My daughter is in the Girl Scouts and that's where she will remain. I will teach her what she needs to know about the great outdoors including hunting and fishing. 

there was a time when parents weren't children and we would have both scout groups get together or scouts bring family members without the label. groups that had both boys and girls up through highschool where what's called 4-H (did that after i quit boy scouts). camping at night was filled with adults with little sleep, walkies, and flashlights. all had a blast though and learned a great deal. still carry with me skills, knowledge, and memories i learned to this day. ask me what i ate for breakfast or what adult thing i did this week and i won't remember to save my life.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

Again. It's not about girls and boys being equal. It's about not allowing boys to have space and opportunity to become men and be equal citizens down the road. This has been going on for a long time. The equality of citizenship has come to mean that you can't be a man. Apparently that's become offensive, and must be eradicated. I don't get it.

I live in a small city in fly-over NY, but women still appreciate it when I hold the door open for them. I don't want that to change. You're very welcome maam.

• Like 2

This is yet another chapter in the attempted engineering of the pussifcation of the American male. Boys need boy only spaces and group dynamics. Sociologists have already proved the negative impact on male learning in mixed schools. In the name of 'progress' we have in fact taken 2 step backwards. 

• Like 2

It's things like this that remind me that the world is passing me by. I have no problem at all with girls, young women, and adult women learning about and enjoying the outdoors. I have a lot more young ladies in their teens and early twenties wanting to go hunting and fishing than I do boys and young men.

Boy Scouts is a place and activity for boys to be boys, and help them hopefully along the way, to become well mannered young men. And it should be the same for Girl Scouts. We used to have co-ed camping trips in 4H a couple times every Summer with little or no issues.

If there was a big demand for the Girl Scouts to do outdoor activities, I'm sure it would have been taken care of. I have to agree with the guys saying this is just more political propaganda to knock down the male as a whole, and cramming more of the non gender crap down our throats. 

This one stings me pretty good. We had a ball in Boy Scouts when i was a young lad. And, we had a ball in 4H with the girls in that club. I can't even wrap my head around this one. 

• Like 1

Apparently the problem is that the Boy Scouts membership has been seriously slipping as more and more boys lose interest in all things masculine. The constant campaign to stamp out masculinity apparently is working here. So what is the solution? .....Steal members from the Girls Scouts.......lol. Not a very gentlemanly thing to do, is it? I guess that is the way everyone wants it. Everyone knows that masculinity is a disease....Ha-ha-ha-ha.

• Like 2

The girls will have separate troops from the boys, but supposedly the exact same program. 

Considering the Girl Scouts were founded by Baden Powells wife , it is amazing how far apart they are run. I remember the most excitement my sisters ever got out of the program was making their "sit upons" (a thinly padded square for sitting upon....). 

My only concern is as far as how can you create an equal program/ opportunities? My wife and other kids mothers would go along frequently on Boy Scout camp outs and trips. I wonder if fathers in the new  all girl units will be treated as equally?

I don't especially like it, and agree with most that this is just another symptom of the ongoing feminism of the American male.

I wasn't in the scouts. My father was made it to Eagle scout, and attended the jamboree in Valley Forge, PA in the 1950s (he rode his bicycle there).

Both of my boys were in scouts, mostly my wife's persuasion. The oldest quit when he was about 12, it wasn't "cool". The youngest stuck around until he was around 16, all he cared about was the camping trips, and didn't want to do any of the work for merit badges, the leaders didn't like that. What I observed was that the majority of kids (not all) were not the athletes or cool kids, but mostly outcasts (geeks, nerds, eggheads, whatever the slang now is), and it wasn't much about outdoor activities, more about getting badges and the race to make Eagle scout, so that they could pad their college resume. Most of the parents seemed to be promoting it also, which was a little sad to me. Based on my limited knowlege and experience, seems like scouts has changed immensely from what it was when my father was an Eagle scout. But maybe it's just the town I live in, it's very money-driven & competitive here.

• Like 1

I'll put it very simply. I would never hold the girls back from doing anything the boys want to do. I emphatically support it.  But sometimes a bunch of young boys need to just be a bunch of young boys.

I can't help but quote R.Lee Ermey here: "You are nothing but graba&&tic pieces of amphibian sh%t.....

Edited by philoshop

If the Boy Scout program is better than the Girl Scout program, then why have not the leaders of Girl Scouts copied the Boy Scout program?

Anyone has been involved with children, which includes teenagers under the age of 18 knows the importance of youth protection.  They also know the importance of having sufficient trained and responsible adult leaders available at all functions.   Without proper supervision the potential for problems increases greatly.  Adding teenage boys and girls together in tents and out in the woods creates a serious problem IF there are not sufficient trained and responsible adult leaders available. 

I would expect that the camp outs will involve guard duty all night to check for accountability.  Sneaking into tents at midnight or slipping out to the dark woods will certainly create a monumental problem for those “chaperons”.