LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:36 AM, Belo said:

So I meant to post this sooner, but had a busy weekend. I went out friday night for my first ever predator hunt. Overall it was a cool experience but I didn't get any action. I have to say that the whole process around looking for eyes and imitating prey was pretty different from the kind of hunting I'm used to and I liked it.

I did super clown hunt it though and I'm a little annoyed at myself for not doing a little more prep. We have some fields that go off and on with corn and this year there wasn't any planted, usually they still till and you can sit and glass quite a ways. Well the goldenrod and weeds are still shoulder tall in spots and even with the snow they're still standing. My plant of sitting up on a rise overlooking 2 hedgrows was quickly spoiled by this as there would be no way to see a yote or fox moving through and I'd probably have to be standing too. So I setup in a less than ideal spot with little to no cover. Wind was still good and I still enjoyed the hunt, but I have to do a little more work ahead of the next hunt. 

Overall I'm happy with the lumenshooter amazon headlamp and gunlight. I know they're not on par with the higher ends but I was able to see pretty well.

Thanks again to wnybuckhunter for the great deal on the call. 

You definitely need some open ground to scan.  You might have called one in and not even known.  But cool that you got out!

36 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You definitely need some open ground to scan.  You might have called one in and not even known.  But cool that you got out!

yeah it was a super clown move. I've got a bipod trigger stick and a chair coming in tomorrow, vs my monopod and cushion to help get me elevated. I think tomorrow I might go out again but to my wife's grandfathers farm where I know the open orchard and hedgerows will be much easier to hunt. Plus i have a lot more pics of yotes there. 

• Like 1

Glad you got out and it was a good night for sure but that light is way to bright for shining. You need to keep it turned down just enough to spot eyes and only turn it up when ready to make the shot.

If you are shining with that light and cannot dim it you will more than likely spook anything that responds.

• Like 1

Glad you got out and it was a good night for sure but that light is way to bright for shining. You need to keep it turned down just enough to spot eyes and only turn it up when ready to make the shot.
If you are shining with that light and cannot dim it you will more than likely spook anything that responds.

Ok thanks for the advice. It’s an adjustable headlamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize that either.....I thought the red or green light at any power wouldn't spook them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I didn't realize that either.....I thought the red or green light at any power wouldn't spook them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It use to be that way and in some cases it may still be true but as a rule you only want enough light to catch their eyes which doesn't take much. Since they have come out with all the fancy and powerful models so hunters can shoot and identify farther;  the lights have become very bright.

The brighter lights have improved shooting opportunities and can help spot a critter farther  but up close (a 100 yards or less) in most cases don't use more than you need. 

You will occasionally get one that comes charging in regardless and have seen some shot with white lights but have also seen a ton spook as soon as a light hits them regardless of the color. That's one reason Night Vision and Thermal has become so popular.

We did some hiking in Mendon Ponds Park today and saw dozens of deer.  They were barely fazed by the baby screaming “DEEER!” every time we saw them.  Mostly does/antlerless, but did see a few small bucks, and some giant footprints.  

5F6A466A-7263-43CF-8386-4AFFCDD05EAD.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 8

On 2/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, johnplav said:

We did some hiking in Mendon Ponds Park today and saw dozens of deer.  They were barely fazed by the baby screaming “DEEER!” every time we saw them.  Mostly does/antlerless, but did see a few small bucks, and some giant footprints.  

5F6A466A-7263-43CF-8386-4AFFCDD05EAD.jpeg

What a great picture, John...…<< BIG smile>>….

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

X2 @Belo.couldnt hear hardly anything if near the tree's.was dodging snow and ice falling.0 squirrels seen and one crow not close enough.still a nice refreshing walk!

20200209_115143.jpg

I was hoping the past few days of bad weather and some fresh sunshine would bring them out, but I could quickly see that even the branches near the nests were still covered. I guess that's why they stockpile their food haha. Even if they were out it'd have been tough. Every few seconds a branch would drop ice and snow and sounded almost identical to those buggers scurrying around some branches.

Took the dog for a couple hour stomp in the woods by my house , no sheds but it’s a good area for them . The coyotes had themselves a turkey snack . I was going to call the bus, photo a suburban funnel , walked a few more steps and jumped 4 deer out of the little slip of woods to the right , I knew it looked good !

6EC4B89D-7F4A-42EA-9C28-E56D899C8E88.jpeg

D052A0E2-638F-4262-8AD6-74B143C7F475.jpeg

350B3E62-D1D8-463E-AE51-6C6AB245B857.jpeg

DDA7B806-1A46-4DA1-9B5D-B014AD79FD56.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Took the dog for a couple hour stomp in the woods by my house , no sheds but it’s a good area for them . The coyotes had themselves a turkey snack . I was going to call the bus, photo a suburban funnel , walked a few more steps and jumped 4 deer out of the little slip of woods to the right , I knew it looked good !

DDA7B806-1A46-4DA1-9B5D-B014AD79FD56.jpeg

Wonder what got that? Was it in an open area? To bad you can't keep the foot it would be a cool keychain.

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

Def not a turkey. 

image.png.d31d7f05cdf5897136369b2b7bbacbb9.png