How many deer does your family consume per year?

First-light

With all the talk about this tag and that tag, how many deer does your family consume per year? My brother and I shot three deer last year all were good size. We are about 2/3 the way through the venison. It will be finished off by November. My family consists of 2 children and 1 adult. He has 4 adults. I think 3 is the limit for us.

The most I shot in one season recently, was 4. I donated 1, so we ate 3, and did not buy any beef except for a steak or two, and it lasted us through the year with some left over. Now my daughter is bigger and eats more, so 3 should be about right. Last year I only shot 1, and we have a couple of packs of breakfast sausage and 1 or 2 packs of burgers left. We have been trying to spread it through the year, but it has sucked. Hopefully Ill be shooting more this year.

in my house its just me and my fiance but i do most of the eating. she eats it but not as often. Her family on the other hand loves it so i am more then generous with sharing my harvest with friends and family. Out of the 3 deer i killed last year the only thing i have left is a few bags of chop meat and a few tenderloins. nothing went to waste. i already have a tall order to fill with the requests of friends and family.

Usually average one per year sometimes two. Usually take a doe with the bow, now that's not going to happen too often with the new 5 yr.plan. During the gun season have had many small bucks that I pass on year after year so mostly only one doe with the bow.

Dave

With the kids all grown and off on their own 2 deer is more than enough for my wife and I ... and  I always give my Mom some since my Dad's passing.. because she loves it... still i always make it a point to try and fill the DMP's for my areas and donate to the veison drive what I cannot eat myself.

well it depends how much jerky i feel like making. some years i've gone thru 7 most years 4. the jerky has become a big hit with my neighbors and frinds and i find im making almost 100lbs a year now.the usual 4.. at least 1 for steaks and roasts, 1 for summer sausage,1 for jerky,,1 for hot dogs breakfast sausage,peperioni and ground , in general.

well it depends how much jerky i feel like making. some years i've gone thru 7 most years 4. the jerky has become a big hit with my neighbors and frinds and i find im making almost 100lbs a year now.the usual 4.. at least 1 for steaks and roasts, 1 for summer sausage,1 for jerky,,1 for hot dogs breakfast sausage,peperioni and ground , in general.

What no stew meat!!!!!!!!!

Dave

3 is more than enough.  But that also includes one for weekends at camp and I give some away too. Only me here so it goes a long ways    Bu tif I only get one or even none, I am still able to crawl out of hibernation in the spring well fed. 

The wife and I eat at least one. I do have some people that have a bit of a hardship case that can gladly take any extra deer that I think we will have a problem eating.

I must admit that a nicely marbled angus steak or roast is much preferred any day inspite of the supposed health hazards of that kind of meat. So I have no problems with years when the take is only one. That does not mean that I don't want that one deer (buck or doe).

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who will eat as many deer as they can legally get. I guess everybody has their own tastes, and in some cases - needs.

We took 5 last year, one my friend took and another that my uncle took home, the other 3 feed myself wife and my four kids along with my mom and dad and I always give out some to friends and family that dont hunt but enjoy eating venison. My neighbor upstate didnt get one, so we gave him some deer as well.

I like venison cooked various ways, but my kids seem to favor it ground up in sauces, a meatloaf or burger mix, or jerky. I'll tell ya since I got that thing no deer lasts as long as I'd want. That's ok though. An average? - We can go though 3 -4 a year easy. So the real question is how many can I get.

• 2 weeks later...

a few guys that hunt at camp do not eat deer meat and their wives don't want it brought home so we average 5-7 deer one usually goes to the ppl that keep an eye on camp...and like G-man I cut jerky until I'm sick of it...takes a lot of deer meat to make a pound of jerky...then there's summer sausage and Italian sausage with that many deer I don't need to scrape bone to get as much as possible so it's the best cuts and then the shepherds get fattened up for the cold winter on all scraps...nothing goes to waste