Recommended Posts

I’ve been using Michaels of Brooklyn. Just wondering if there’s something better out there? So what’s your favorite?

Homemade doesn’t count.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always start with a jar of Ragu but then I add my own stuff to it like hamburger and sausage, sometimes some garlic peppers and onions. Makes for a quick meal that doesn't taste like I just dumped a jar of sauce on some pasta....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I always start with a jar of Ragu but then I add my own stuff to it like hamburger and sausage, sometimes some garlic peppers and onions. Makes for a quick meal that doesn't taste like I just dumped a jar of sauce on some pasta....

This is what I do if I'm making my goulash. Onions, peppers, garlic, about five different spices and seasonings. And ground venison!!  Have had so many people that 'don't eat venison', tell me 'man, this is awesome'!!!  Most times I don't spoil it for them, just smile and say thanks! Enjoy!

But of course my wife only makes "Her" sauce from scratch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Who has time to make sauce ? Doesn't it take all day?

30 minutes 

  • Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Pellicanos jar sauce and its pretty cheap at Tops. Local. Better than Chefs IMHO


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I was way off

Samsonite! I was way off! I knew it started with an S, though.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

30 minutes 

What- you need at least 3 hours for the sauce to really absorb the flavors of the meat - marinara 30min but that ain’t the same!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who has time to make sauce ? Doesn't it take all day?

Not at all some of the best sauces I make take 15 min....


Chop garlic. Anchovies, and parsley.

Sauté garlic till almost brown, add chopped anchovies, sauté till garlic is brown, add parsley sauté 1 min. Pour in 2 cups white wine. Reduce by half... add crushed tomatoes cook for 10 min and season


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


Not at all some of the best sauces I make take 15 min....


Chop garlic. Anchovies, and parsley.

Sauté garlic till almost brown, add chopped anchovies, sauté till garlic is brown, add parsley sauté 1 min. Pour in 2 cups white wine. Reduce by half... add crushed tomatoes cook for 10 min and season


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r u using crushed canned tomatoes?? Blasphemy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r u using crushed canned tomatoes?? Blasphemy! 

I usually crush canned tomatoes by hand but if you get a good quality pre crushed it’s fine. You can even get crushed San Marzano


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


I usually crush canned tomatoes by hand but if you get a good quality pre crushed it’s fine. You can even get crushed San Marzano


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are among the few still canning tomatoes in the US.  You and any 120 year old Italian women.  But I am jealous.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

Tried them all............  in my opinion nothing is close to Raos

Agree. If you have to buy jarred sauce, nothing comes close to Rao’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I am gonna start some sh. T now but it is called GRAVEY... And takes the wife a couple of hours to make... maybe close to 3 hours... Fron a jar never!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ny hunter said:

Okay I am gonna start some sh. T now but it is called GRAVEY... And takes the wife a couple of hours to make... maybe close to 3 hours... Fron a jar never!!!!!

That's a regional thing.  Up this way, it has always been know as Sunday "sauce" - as far back as having relatives with broken accents.  Start cooking around 9 am and done when we would all sit as a family around 3pm and stuff our faces.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad made the best.... Every Sunday he was up early and he would start ... The wife is also very good but GrandaMa was the best....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

No you weren’t!

For sure if youre doing a wonderful meat sauce and braising shanks and all that deliciousness you need all day, but a quick marinara can be just fine

  • Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's a regional thing.  Up this way, it has always been know as Sunday "sauce" - as far back as having relatives with broken accents.  Start cooking around 9 am and done when we would all sit as a family around 3pm and stuff our faces.

My Uncle had a kitchen in his cellar that was called "the sauce kitchen". The pot of sauce would cook for a couple of hours every Sunday while he took the family to church. Then...lunch. Around Christmas time it was called the "Calamari kitchen". ;-)

  • Like 2

"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.