How Many day do you actually hunt for deer?

G-Man

With the baby this year, I hope to get at least 12 - 15 days in for bow (depends on if I get off when I want to for work), and about 10 for gun, and 2 - 3 for muzzle.

congrats on your baby !

SInce I travel from NC now I'll only get in about 12 days during rifle season in NY. Non resident permits being so expensive I decided to only hunt rifle. Maybe next year I'll get both bow and rifle. Then I'll come up a few more days earlier so I can get about 6 or 7 days of bow plus the 11 or 12 days of rifle. Gas prices aren't helping me out either.

I always take two weeks from work during hunting season. The first week in Nov. is always locked in though this year the calendar doesn't really help much because I either have to take the 30th-6th or the 6th-13th. In a perfect world i love the 2nd to around the10th but i think i'll go with the earlier week this year and hope things get cranked up a bit early. My second vaca. i usually take Thanksgiving week but last year i took it late and hunted all muzzleloader and had a blast. All the part time hunters are out of the woods by then and only the die-hards will brave the weather then. Think I'll do the same this year. So in total i'd say about 25 for bow, 8 or 9 for gun and 7 or 8 for late season. Both me and my wife hope a tag something early!!

I get out as many days as I possibly can. Every day of every weekend during hunting season Im out there, then I generally take a week or week and a half of vaca time throughout the season, then I get in the woods after work whenever the opportunity presents itself. I couldnt tell you a number, but Id say the number of days I dont get out at all is lower than the number that I do.

I'm addicted bad lol. I'm self-employed and I work almost every day of the spring and summer so I can take every day off from day 1 of bow to the last day of muzzle. I gotta admit I might miss one, maybe two mornings. Hunting season takes a toll on the body. Now I'm addicted to hunting coyotes for the dead of winter. Calling and running with hounds. I love it!!

I usually get out for the bow open for about five days, then an occasional weekend. I go to Maine for a week in early November for rifle, Then I'll go in NY for gun open for about a week. After that if I haven't tagged a buck I'll play the sympathy card around my birthday in early December. I guess around 15-20 days total.

I work third shift so I get up around noon and head out everyday. I make it a priority to get out everyday till the tags are full. My wife is more than willing to let me out of the house everyday for a few hours for a reward of meat in the freezer. Now just don't tell her how many I could have shot but let walk, oR i MIGHT GET GROUNDED. :) 15yrds for a four point is a long shot and out of range. :D This yr though I might have a little more trouble getting out because my wife graduated and got a job. So I may have to get a ground blind and drag the little one out with me.

Edited by erussell

Being retired I go out each day except Sunday for the fiorst 2 hours in the morning and the last two prior to dark. I sit in ground blinds as I no longer can get into tree stands ( had a fall that broke my right leg in 9 places ) During the gun season the first 3 days I will sit most of the day, but later will go back to the bow time schedule. I do not hunt the BP and or the late4 week of bow, just to cold for me at 69 years young. Now I call all my activity hunting my wife calls them Bill time taking Naps in the woods. As I also carry a book in the back pack to read if nothing is going on. I also no longer shoot doe's. My area of NY ( Oneonta) the deer herd has been just about shot out due to the way the regs work now, seems everyone just gets to shoot several deer, and we also have a very big problem coyote's. I found again this sppring in our back pasture were I have my ground blinds and also my 3D range over 6 fawns killed off my the coyote. I sure will shot them when I see them if they are in season, I have asked the DEC to make the coyote a open season to kill some of them off. This is under consideration so they tell me.

good hunting to all and be safe

Bill

Hunting both Long Island and upstate i get to hunt quite a bit. Ill be out just about every weekend from oct 1st to dec 31st with a few being 3 day weekends. I also took off the second week of Nov and Thanksgiving week as well. I also get time off from work the week after christmas so i will be out that week with the bow down on LI if i havent already filled my tags. Good luck to everybody this season.

John

Early archery - Projecting 22 days to hunt full days (as in no work requirements) and then whenever I can sneak out for a morning or evening short hunt.

Gun - All weekend days except for one and then the long T-day weekend.

MZ - four days scheduled. I took a day off work during MZ last year and liked it...weather was a little brutal but much less pressure and less stressful than the opening week of gun.

I guess that puts me around 36 days of uninterrupted hunting this season. I almost always pick a day during my two week vaca to sleep in for a recharge. That helps me with burnout.