Corona Virus Thread

Found this fairly scary info. Might help to explain why this is spreading so quickly.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Basically discussing how long different virus strains could live on various surfaces and temp.   This is an eye opener but two things. I don't know how this compares with Flu strain A or B.  Also its not showing data for the new strain that is going around,  SARS-CoV-2 .  Its showing Sars-CoV which I think is the pre-cursor from 2003.  Either way.. scary how long these virus remain active.

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

Found this fairly scary info. Might help to explain why this is spreading so quickly.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Basically discussing how long different virus strains could live on various surfaces and temp.   This is an eye opener but two things. I don't know how this compares with Flu strain A or B.  Also its not showing data for the new strain that is going around,  SARS-CoV-2 .  Its showing Sars-CoV which I think is the pre-cursor from 2003.  Either way.. scary how long these virus remain active.

Do you think the Chinese are manufacturing these viruses? Is this how they are dealing with overpopulation problem over there?

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Do you think the Chinese are manufacturing these viruses? Is this how they are dealing with overpopulation problem over there?

Without hesitation NO. NO NO NO. A bunch of reasons.  1) From reading various places, its very similar to 2003 virus. 2) Scientists know there are similar Corona viruses around that are not manufactured. 3) Does not make logical sense. Seriously. Think about it. IF IF the government wanted a virus, the SARS from 2003 had a high mortality rate and could be used. There are other illnesses available that I suspect would work with less suspicion and less effort.

Also the government lifted the one child policy some years ago. Makes no sense to lift this and engineer a virus to counteract this.   My opinion...

CDC is saying be prepared for a probable/possible out break here.  Prob should always have 2 weeks of food avail anyway at home.  Looks like it's not that bad and a flulike illness. But the issue is quarantines. If they have to quarantine large areas like China is at some point it's a big issue for the economy. Dow down another 850 today. Ouch.  Just think if they decided to quarantine NYC....and all our work places were closed for a month. Prob won't happen but not out of the realm of possibility.  

• Like 1

My brother  said if Singapore  starts getting  it we are going to get it bad. Singapore  is one of the most hygienic  places.  So if they start getting it we will get it worse . So he saw this and sent it to me . And told me to start buying can food and water. 

my doctor brother says local hospitals already have negative pressure lockdown rooms in the ER setup. But doesn’t matter cuz someone can still spread it from walking in through the ER
People who don’t even have symptoms can have it and spread it. Just talking; the micro air droplets from the infected person breathing and speaking is enough to spread it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Been reading this thread for a few days now. It kind of bothers me that people are dying and it's being made light of in this thread. Innocent people dying should never be a joking matter. Sorry, it just shouldn't! This should be taken a little more serious. Milan, Italy, is all but shut down. That's Europe folks, and no where near any Asian cities.

This isn't fake news. Some news "groups" are under-mining the threat, others are pushing for a premature pandemic. In the middle is the truth, and I think this is an issue, and if you have paid attention, I don't wear a tin foil hat. I do see this as a possible issue, especially here in NY where our King lets anyone in no matter what.

My wife, who once scoffed at me when we lived in Schenectady while a tornado was strolling down the Mohawk and the trees in our yard were bent over almost to the ground by telling me, "Its just a little wind and laughing", stopped last night and bought a bunch of provisions to last a few weeks.

Yep, I just opened myself up to ridicule, not the first time, and might not be the last.

N95 masks are basically gone , and the ones you can find are $6-$8 each, up a bit from a buck I’m ok with that in fact grateful that I could buy more to supplement the few I had at home   . We were issued them on the FD, so it’ll be interesting to see if FD’s ,  and so on will be able to replace their’s my guess is no .

Most are made in China , and I believe there’s two major manufacturers who are trying to supply the world right now .

Been reading this thread for a few days now. It kind of bothers me that people are dying and it's being made light of in this thread. Innocent people dying should never be a joking matter. Sorry, it just shouldn't! This should be taken a little more serious. Milan, Italy, is all but shut down. That's Europe folks, and no where near any Asian cities.
This isn't fake news. Some news "groups" are under-mining the threat, others are pushing for a premature pandemic. In the middle is the truth, and I think this is an issue, and if you have paid attention, I don't wear a tin foil hat. I do see this as a possible issue, especially here in NY where our King lets anyone in no matter what.
My wife, who once scoffed at me when we lived in Schenectady while a tornado was strolling down the Mohawk and the trees in our yard were bent over almost to the ground by telling me, "Its just a little wind and laughing", stopped last night and bought a bunch of provisions to last a few weeks.

Yep, I just opened myself up to ridicule, not the first time, and might not be the last.

The jokes were much earlier in the thread way back in January before the severity of the virus was understood. If you think my straight edge razor comment in relation to the Post article was over the line I am sorry for you.
I wasn’t really even joking though since my beard is probably coming off this weekend as opposed to my typical Easter weekend partly due to this lunacy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I can see NYC on some type of lockdown, if this lunacy continues.  Early on in this thread, I pointed out condolences for those whom are affected by this. Laugh or cry.. take your pick.  Ill take laugh.  Crappyice if you need to borrow a razor..  I think you are still good for some time though.

I am thinking about altering my life slightly for this.  Thinking to fire up my smoker and keep a good sized stash of jerky, snack sticks, etc on hand. I am even thinking this may be an over reaction still but Ill eat it anyway.

Despite wandering around Chinatown last weekend, grabbing food, getting a haircut, grocery shopping.. I am alive and well.  Virus has not struck me down.  Most times I go there I see at least a handful of people wearing masks, normally. This last time I did not see one person wearing a mask. The reverse of what I expected. Im guessing nobody wants to be associated with being ill, so no mask. 

the two things that concern me would be the possibility of quarantines and it be a reacurring issue every year like the flu.

Everyone keeps saying its just like the flu its not a big deal -   Yes it may be a similar fatality rate of the flu, but this is in addition to the flu.  So if its a 2% for the flu and 2% rate for this then its now 4% every year.  But looks like the virus isnt too bad hopefully. 

The other issue could be the effect of quarantines.  If they shut down businesses and public facilities to try and contain the spread, how many people are prepared to be out of work or have their business closed for 3 weeks?  It will all pass and i am sure all will be fine but the containment itself could have a lot of effect on daily life for a while if it does spread. Am def glad to be in the US to deal with it other than some highly populated third world country.   

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the two things that concern me would be the possibility of quarantines and it be a reacurring issue every year like the flu.

Everyone keeps saying its just like the flu its not a big deal -   Yes it may be a similar fatality rate of the flu, but this is in addition to the flu.  So if its a 2% for the flu and 2% rate for this then its now 4% every year.  But looks like the virus isnt too bad hopefully. 

The other issue could be the effect of quarantines.  If they shut down businesses and public facilities to try and contain the spread, how many people are prepared to be out of work or have their business closed for 3 weeks?  It will all pass and i am sure all will be fine but the containment itself could have a lot of effect on daily life for a while if it does spread. Am def glad to be in the US to deal with it other than some highly populated third world country.   

News this morning said approx. .5% of those infected with the flu die.  With this virus, its more like 2% or 4x the likelihood of death.  That said, they acknowledged that they really don't have a good handle on that yet since they don't number the true number of cases.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2