Do deer jump the sound of the string or the sound of the arrow/broadhead?

huntography

What I find most interesting about this video is how it shows a lack of safety. It sure looked like this shooter was shooting directly towards a busy freeway. Yeah, maybe he was aiming low at the target and maybe the arrow couldn't travel far enough to reach the freeway, but it sure looks to me that a more safe background could have been found.

What I find most interesting about this video is how it shows a lack of safety. It sure looked like this shooter was shooting directly towards a busy freeway. Yeah, maybe he was aiming low at the target and maybe the arrow couldn't travel far enough to reach the freeway, but it sure looks to me that a more safe background could have been found.

I totally understand your concern and I had it too the first time I was at this range but this is an official bowhunting club and range. I believe it's been around for many years and approved by the city.

Plenty of league and competition shooting takes place here.

But yeah, I totally agree that it "looks" unsafe.

I wonder if I ran the idea of rearranging the way they have it set up by who ever runs the place, if they'd actually consider it. Maybe they already did.

- Rudy

Edited by huntography

I know angles and distance can look deceptive on film, but I looked at the video again and I tell you it sure looks like an arrow fired high has the potential of reaching the road. Kind of playing with fire in my opinion to have things set up like that.

Certainly not arguing with you Steve. In fact, I agree. Ideally, whoever owns this range would do everyone a favor by having some of the targets reversed.

In fact, I will make that request and let you know how it goes. But don't hold your breath.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I value it.

- Rudy

Yeah if it was me i would hate to be driving by with the family in the stationwagon. At 30 yards it appears as if he was parralel to the highway but at 60 it looked alittle scary. One slightly high shot and the arrow glances off the top to the target and goes sailing. Scary and unsafe. But intersting video regarding the sound.

Ok getting back to the topic and away from saftey issues. I think you raise a good point. I could hear the arrow and broadhead approaching the target each time. Sounded like a hissing sound. So I'm pretty sure a deer can. I would even say that each broadhead sounded louder or softer. I think the deer hear both the string and then the arrow/broadhead tracking towards them. I also think that an already alerted or "spooked" deer is more likely to "jump the string" than a relaxed animal.

• Like 2

First off, who gives a schit?

2nd, find yourself a range that has NO background noise next time.

3rd, this is just a ploy to suck guys into your personal site? Maybe I'm wrong on that one. Enlighten me.......

After you find a range a bit further from the superhighway, screw on a field point and do your test. The sound will be just the same as the broad head tipped arrows I bet.

Arrows make the same noise with field tips. The majority of what you are hearing is the friction of the air passing over the vanes. You can hear it when someone is shooting just down from you at the range. Deer have no idea what the noise is, but if they are on full alert, they will react the same to almost any noise.

• Like 1

with the current compound bows and or even a trad bow in the 50 lb range I sure do not see deer jumping the string. The biggest issue is in the use of 5.5 feathers on some trad arrows. I do hear a slight noise as the arrow is released. But if anything it is so fast to the deer at 20 yards they do not get the chance to jump. I have had one look and then see the arrow in it side, then jump and run for about 55 yards and that was it.

• Like 1

with the current compound bows and or even a trad bow in the 50 lb range I sure do not see deer jumping the string. The biggest issue is in the use of 5.5 feathers on some trad arrows. I do hear a slight noise as the arrow is released. But if anything it is so fast to the deer at 20 yards they do not get the chance to jump. I have had one look and then see the arrow in it side, then jump and run for about 55 yards and that was it.

Actually, deer screwing up perfectly executed bow shots is a very well video-documented occurance and that applies with modern high-performance bows and arrows as well. The fastest bow and arrow combination is still a long way from the 1126 fps which is the speed of sound. A deer that is spring-loaded and on "set", and ready to react to the slightest sound or movement is still a challenge for the best of archery equipment.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

In so far as taking longer shots that would not help with string jump.  Sound is still traveling faster to the deer than our arrows...  I really think more hunters should practice and shoot more and aim for the heart.  At 30 yards with any new compound you are going to at least nail a double lung aiming at the center of the heart.  (Level ground shot, prey not aware.)  Shooting from a tree stand is not the same as ground shooting and should be practiced.  Some deer are more apt to move, that is why shooting an alert deer with bow is so hard...  How many times do you hear a guy talk about a deer he shot 2 or 3 arrows at before he hit.  Some deer are more alert or skittish than others. 

That being said I feel many hunters aim too high.  Video is deceiving as you are not seeing the arrow from the bow/sight and pin used position.  But Doc said it well as always, deer have an ability to do matrix like moves that can dodge arrows...  And the healthy alert deer is a challenge for any archery equipment! 

Shot placement, knowledge of my preys ability and my ability to stop him for that perfect shot/distraction,(More hunters should shoot exactly when they are calling/stopping the deer!) and the skill to execute my weapon with deadly force at any range I will more than likely encounter my prey, these are things I value for bow hunting deep woods monarchs.  The only sound I worry about is my footsteps, calls and my prey...

ADK bow Hunting deep woods fun plain and simple...  COME ON Sep 27th!!!  Wow I need a vacation...  Im just so happy I can shoot again!!!  Can't wait to scout some area's and possibly ambush last years beast! :gamer:

There was a time when we didn't have the video evidence of deer "jumping the string". The whole subject was a hotly contested discussion and not everyone believed that deer could get out of the way of an arrow. Today there is no doubt that deer not only can, but frequently do move in such a way that they aren't there when the arrow gets there. The discussion of whether it is the sound of the bow or the sound of the arrow is one thing that hasn't been discussed adequately. Listening to that video, it was surprising just how much of a noise is generated by the arrow. It does also clearly show that there are differences in noise intensity due to the different designs. Glad to see this topic come out of mothballs. It would be interesting to see if there are any new opinions on the subject. It would appear that bow noise is only part of the problem.

The reason I brought up the deer jumping the string in the Arrow Speed post was that it actually had it happen to me with my brand B recurve  bow years ago when the string was released it actually made a twang sound.

Tryed different strings and the sound just changed but it was still there.The arrows I was using at the time were Kerry Gesink footed compressed cedear arrows with real turkey feather fletching/5" die cut and Zwickey 125 grain broadheads, used the same arrows with other bows and they did no make that sound.

As NFA-ADK said about practice from the tree stand is true.That is why i mentioned it in the New Tree Stand post,not only the height angle and wind but you have many branches, limbs and leaves that can be hit making noise and deflecting arrows.

In that video looks cam be deceiving but to me it still looks un safe also. 

is that kinda why Blazers were invented?

Die cut or fire formed natural turkey feathers are make less noise then plastic ,its a proven fact. One  reason they came out with plastic is because it is more weather proof then natural feathers, but natural feathers can be made weather proof by using liquids and powders.The only natural feathers that are noiser are the old type Un formed feathers that you see on the real old ceader arrows.

Most people don't know this or don;'t recognize this, but there's a distance at which deer exhibit string jumping much more often. Shorter or further than that window, and the % of observed string jumping goes way down, only a mere fraction of what occurs in that window.

That window is typically in the 15-30/35 yd. range. Beyond that, string jumping becomes pretty rare regardless of deer posturing.

There's not statistical proof of this that I know, but anecdotal/emprirical evidence from very experienced hunters overwhelmingly showcase that window.

Most people don't know this or don;'t recognize this, but there's a distance at which deer exhibit string jumping much more often. Shorter or further than that window, and the % of observed string jumping goes way down, only a mere fraction of what occurs in that window.

That window is typically in the 15-30/35 yd. range. Beyond that, string jumping becomes pretty rare regardless of deer posturing.

There's not statistical proof of this that I know, but anecdotal/emprirical evidence from very experienced hunters overwhelmingly showcase that window.

I know you told me this before, but could it be that since most shots are taken in that range, more examples of jumping the string would occur there?  I know you are statistical geek, but, by way of example, with regard to your heart shot on the buck at 55yds last year opening day, he probably jumped the string but luckily you shot (ie. missed) low and the stars aligned.  lol  Has to be or you would deserve the credit for a GREAT shot and that ain't happening.

"Jumping the string"...Interesting term. The "jump" is actually a gathering motion in preparation for flight that lowers the deer's body. (Think the "squat before the jump.) This flinching type move by the deer can be caused by the sound of the string/arrow, or the movement of bow/arrow/hunter, or both. Whatever, it can often (I speak from experience) cause a high miss..."Shot right over his damn back!"

Additional comment: Deer are almost always on "high alert"...their lives depend on it!

• Like 1

That buck never moved. I watched the arrow for about 40-45 yards but didn't see impact. Only his reaction. Looked like a horse coming out of the gate....zero reaction and then explosion when the arrow thunked.

It's not a frequency of shots thing - it's darn near zero to have a deer jump a string or even attempt to do so at the 35 and beyond mark. It's just observation from experienced bowhunters and mature buck killers, but its been noted on forums quite a bit. My personal observations back this up too.

Interestingly, the 10 and under range doesn't have much string jumping at all. Most of these instances where people think it is the case is because they are shooting a tough shot angle and shoot high as is done commonly resulting from poor practice habit and form. It's the old story of not being accountable for your mistake.

• Like 1