Distance required from road for hunting.

50calpeephole

Hey all,

I'm not a NY native, so forgive me. I've plowed through the NY regs and haven't seen anything, but is there a minimum distance from a road that you must be to hunt in NY? In MA it's like 500'.

I ask because one of the best vantage spots on my hunting property is about 20' off the shoulder of the road, from the spot I can survey about 70 acres my property and have wide open shooting lanes as long as 500 yards with proper backstop which is very appealing, however, I don't want to be breaking any laws I don't know about. 

Just now, moog5050 said:

No requirement.  But you can’t shoot from the road or across it.  

Yeah these are pretty standard.  

So a tree 20' off is ok?  

Maybe its the stockholm syndrome but I feel like that's close. The tree is on my property and no shots would be from the road nor across one.

2 minutes ago, 50calpeephole said:

Yeah these are pretty standard.  

So a tree 20' off is ok?  

Maybe its the stockholm syndrome but I feel like that's close. The tree is on my property and no shots would be from the road nor across one.

as far as I know, yes

• Thanks 1

However, while you are legal, be prepared to deal with passerby’s via car or cycle depending on the road and area. We were legally bird hunting a leased property years ago off some back paved roads and cyclists drive past as we flushed and shot at pheasant. They stopped and called the cops. We were legal, cops were cool, but we were inconvenienced because people suck at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DEC regs discuss how far from a house but I could not find info regarding a road

Just found this, no distances found.

From NY regs

The Environmental Conservation Law prohibits you from discharging the firearm, crossbow or longbow in such a manner that the arrow, bolt, bullet or load of shot passes over any portion of the highway, which may include maintained portions including the shoulder, drainage ditches, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TACC said:

DEC regs discuss how far from a house but I could not find info regarding a road

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With a gun, it is 500 feet from a building, without permission.  With a crossbow, I think it is 250 feet, and 100 feet with a bow.

I had to strategically place a stand over at my folks place, scaling off google maps satellite view, to optimize its location from the nearest mobile home.  Two seasons ago, I dropped a nice buck with my slug gun, 300 feet from the nearest trailer, from 510 feet away.  

I had moved the stand from my crossbow location, where I blew a chance at the same buck, the week prior, when I was only 300 feet from the closest trailer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

With a gun, it is 500 feet from a building, without permission.  With a crossbow, I think it is 250 feet, and 100 feet with a bow.

I had to strategically place a stand over at my folks place, scaling off google maps satellite view, to optimize its location from the nearest mobile home.  Two seasons ago, I dropped a nice buck with my slug gun, 300 feet from the nearest trailer, from 510 feet away.  

I had moved the stand from my crossbow location, where I blew a chance at the same buck, the week prior, when I was only 300 feet from the closest trailer.

With a bow, I’m pretty sure it’s 150’ from a structure without permission. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

With a bow, I’m pretty sure it’s 150’ without permission. 

I just verified that you are correct. I don't hunt with one any more, so it is not as big of a concern for me.

Edited by wolc123

I used to hunt an awesome spot many years ago with the bow. It was a bottleneck between some homes just off the road. The deer would cross right there. They would stage just inside the wood line before crossing. And if they crossed from the other side, they would run about 15-20 yards into the woods and stop to survey the situation. Needless to say I blew it on one of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen in the woods. 

1 minute ago, NonTypical said:

I used to hunt an awesome spot many years ago with the bow. It was a bottleneck between some homes just off the road. The deer would cross right there. They would stage just inside the wood line before crossing. And if they crossed from the other side, they would run about 15-20 yards into the woods and stop to survey the situation. Needless to say I blew it on one of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen in the woods. 

That is the way it is with my spot by the trailers.  My folks own the woods behind them, but there is only about 300 feet width to a swamp.  I can legally hunt the center, edge of the swamp with my crossbow, but not with my gun. 

I would have moved a stand closer to the trailers again this year, but I did not have time. It is easier to get a close shot in that bottleneck, than in the wider stretch of woods, where I moved the stand for gun season.

Hopefully, I can fill my antlerless and my antlered archery/ML  tags up in the northern zone, prior to southern zone crossbow season.  Then I won't miss not having the better stand location army folks place.

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I was told by a DEC officer that you had to be at least 30 feet from the center of a two lane road . It depends on who you ask and no doubt 2 DEC guys would tell you different rules . 

Most 2 lane country roads are 3 rods wide (16.5ft in a rod) for right of way or 49.5 ft wide.

30 ft is good rule of thumb. 

And 1000 feet from a school. That's a federal law

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton