Opening day weapon?

Swamp_bucks

28 minutes ago, Bionic said:

30/30   

Might take my Savage 25/06 on state land in a certain long range clear cut.

some days .44 Dan Wesson revolver 

Mission MXB 400 crossbow at my 3M spot

I switch up a lot in regular season, depending on spot, and my mood.

Love the  Dan Wesson 44. I’m a little envious.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Love the  Dan Wesson 44. I’m a little envious.. 

Hum I sold my 8 inch SS DW .44 a few years back , the guy who bought it had a permit about as thick as a deck of cards ! It was the. Last DW he needed to complete the set ....

I still have a DW .22 I bought used about 40:years ago, the lightest trigger on a gun I’ve ever owned , single action just breath on the trigger to fire .

• Like 2

I put down the bow on day six of a bear hunt and killed one with a borrowed 444 Marlin. In bow range, naturally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hahaha that’s amazing! It will be my next gun purchase. But I need a 2nd safe first or my wife is going to kill me. Trigger locks stopped being ok once my kid learned to open doors...

Where did you do the bear hunt? I’m thinking about goin in21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Hum I sold my 8 inch SS DW .44 a few years back , the guy who bought it had a permit about as thick as a deck of cards ! It was the. Last DW he needed to complete the set ....

I still have a DW .22 I bought used about 40:years ago, the lightest trigger on a gun I’ve ever owned , single action just breath on the trigger to fire .

I do love my Super Red Hawk but If I ever run across a D/W for sale at a decent price I’m buying it.. 

• Like 1

Sako 85 Classic in 270, shooting my hand loads with 140g Nosler BTs, propelled by 59.5 grains of H4831 at about 3000fps
Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.
It has dropped every deer it ever shot at. Even a couple from it's first owner moog.
20191118_155926.thumb.jpg.69ce3b377a845ca7f9b1050a028f0a2f.jpg

I've said it a hundred times, I need an "heirloom" rifle and that's a beauty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I will be sitting with a young lady letting her do the shooting with my Mossberg .270 that she killed a couple bucks with during the youth weekends  years ago. She has gone deerless for a few years now and asked for my help, and I gladly offered up my spot and gun. We will have a good time and should be able to fill a couple tags( buck and doe) just to rile up her hubby.

I give up opening day to sit with my adult daughter who  “ hunts “ a couple hours a couple times a year . Hopefully we’ll see something close , and good for you !

• Like 2

I see a lot guys are using 30/30's.   I was not quite fast enough with mine (Marlin 336BL) to get off a shot at a big Adirondack buck on opening day of Northern zone gun season this year. 

If I can make it thru opening weekend in the Southern zone, with my buck tag, then I hope to get another chance at one with it, or with my father in law's scoped, standard model.  We plan on spending Thsnksgiving weekend up there.

I plan on passing anything with less than three points on a side on opening weekend at home, mostly to get that chance.  I would love to experience first hand, how the 30/30 does on a deer. I will be using Winchester 150 gr, Super X ammo.

I used my Ruger M77 30/06 and Federal 150 gr classic ammo on the only two bucks I killed up there and both were DRT from one bullet.  That heavy gun is no fun to lug around those mountains.  Hopefully, the 30/30's will perform similarly on deer, but they sure are more fun to carry.

20201116_204848.jpg

• Like 1

Browning A Bolt .270. Also bringing a 336 in 35 Remington with open sights in case the weather is crappy

Love my 336 in 35 I have a old shit 6x scope on there and it’s my favorite deer gun

27 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Browning A Bolt .270. Also bringing a 336 in 35 Remington with open sights in case the weather is crappy

I see there is rain in the forecast for Saturday.  If it is a straight down rain with no wind, I will deploy the tree umbrella and stick with my scoped Marlin M512. 

If we get high winds and sideways rain, I will go with my Remington 870, 12 ga, with short smooth bore, open-site barrel, and Remington sluggers.

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You guys talking about leaving your scoped guns behind and toting a gun with  open sights on rainy or snowy days ever heard of Butler Creek lens caps?

Lol, look ‘em up.   

Never could cotton to them. I started using ScopeSlickers by Alpine Innovations a few years ago and really like them. They're quick, quiet, cheaper and don't break.

12 hours ago, Chef said:

Hahaha that’s amazing! It will be my next gun purchase. But I need a 2nd safe first or my wife is going to kill me. Trigger locks stopped being ok once my kid learned to open doors...

Where did you do the bear hunt? I’m thinking about goin in21

Ive gone to Gogama Ontario three times (two bears) and New Brunswick once and killed a bear. Gogama was way better, its half the driving distance and they offer fly ins for amazing fishing