Opening day weapon?

Swamp_bucks

36 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm pretty sure I'll be using a 7mm-08.......I thought about taking the 300WSM but it only takes two in the belly when the 7mm-08 takes three. It shouldn't make much difference if I do my part.  Maybe I'm overthinking it? LOL

If there were ever a "perfect" deer round. The 7mm-08 would certainly be near the top of the list! 

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure I'll be using a 7mm-08.......I thought about taking the 300WSM but it only takes two in the belly when the 7mm-08 takes three. It shouldn't make much difference if I do my part.  Maybe I'm overthinking it? LOL

Some day, when we can actually buy guns and ammo, I will buy a 7mm-08. Hopefully this year if thing turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I’ll be using my 300 win mag again!! So 2 yrs ago opening day I’m in stand about 6:30ish legal is like 7:10ish. A couple minutes into my sit I have two yotes literally trot past me at 15yrds and I can see them fairly well as we had snow on the ground. I wanted to shoot so bad but I didn’t want everyone around thinking I shot a deer that early:-(

This will be my first opening day not hunting, and I'm not happy about it. Secretly hoping flights get cancelled to visit the wife's family in NM. But... I had hoped to get my new 6.8SPC AR build out in the woods. Guess it'll have to wait until the second weekend now...IMG_20200707_093620622.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

This will be my first opening day not hunting, and I'm not happy about it. Secretly hoping flights get cancelled to visit the wife's family in NM. But... I had hoped to get my new 6.8SPC AR build out in the woods. Guess it'll have to wait until the second weekend now...IMG_20200707_093620622.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

NM = Elk!

I've got a band new HOWA in 308...all bore sighted and ready to role into the woods for the opener. 

Just kidding but I am certain there are a few out there. 

I do have a new Howa but will be carrying my Remington 700 BDL in ought 6. I'll have my Field to Fork hunter with me all weekend so what I am carryign really doesn't mean anything unless he needs backup. 

Good luck everyone. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Smith and wesson model 19-4 6 inch  357 magnum. Wife is using my Venture 7mm08. We will be in the same blind. 

0BC79DC7-60E8-44C6-AB2B-1A7D86666533.jpeg

Beautiful! I'll be carrying my 686, but it will have be a really close shot not to use the '06. 

IMG_9456.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 1:40 PM, ridgerunner88 said:

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Good luck to everyone going out for the first time this Saturday!

Welcome! I was in the same boat, stopped hunting when in the Army and mostly hunted PA state land before starting up here again. I have gotten a lot of useful information on this board over the years.

30-30 is a good woods gun, but 45-70 is a bit much for whitetail or even black bear for that matter. If you want an option in a lever action that gives a bit a bit more knockdown power than the 30-30, look at .35 Remington. I did, and never looked back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've got a band new HOWA in 308...all bore sighted and ready to role into the woods for the opener. 

Just kidding but I am certain there are a few out there. 

I do have a new Howa but will be carrying my Remington 700 BDL in ought 6. I'll have my Field to Fork hunter with me all weekend so what I am carryign really doesn't mean anything unless he needs backup. 

Good luck everyone. 

Bore sighted?   Good for you tasking all appropriate steps to prepare for Saturday!

• Like 1