Opening day weapon?

Swamp_bucks

I'll have my Win M70 lightweight in .280 Rem.....I bought it in 1988 from Ron Shirk's Gun Supply in PA for $289.....

It has traveled all over the continent and killed everything from woodchucks to Alaska bull moose.....

My current load features a Barnes TTSX  140 grain at around 3000 fps....

Never been a bughole shooter....I am happy with 100 yard groups of 2" or a bit less, but  it shoots  "minute of ribcage" out to  300 yards or so, which is as far as I can shoot from my tower stand.. 

It currently wears a fixed 6X Leupold, but most of  the game has been killed with a fixed 4X Leupold, including a few 300 yard + kills..

• Like 8

I will be sitting with a young lady letting her do the shooting with my Mossberg .270 that she killed a couple bucks with during the youth weekends  years ago. She has gone deerless for a few years now and asked for my help, and I gladly offered up my spot and gun. We will have a good time and should be able to fill a couple tags( buck and doe) just to rile up her hubby.

• Like 5

Sako 85 Classic in 270, shooting my hand loads with 140g Nosler BTs, propelled by 59.5 grains of H4831 at about 3000fps

Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.

It has dropped every deer it ever shot at. Even a couple from it's first owner moog.

20191118_155926.thumb.jpg.69ce3b377a845ca7f9b1050a028f0a2f.jpg

Edited by grampy
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sako 85 Classic in 270, shooting my hand loads with 140g Nosler BTs, propelled by 59.5 grains of H4831 at about 3000fps

Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.

It has dropped every deer it ever shot at. Even a couple from it's first owner moog.

Hard to beat Nosler BTs as a deer bullet....I have also shot 8 or 10 caribou with them with no complaints... On a couple of those hunts I had a moose tag and would not have hesitated  to shoot a big bull moose in the lungs with  one...I don't believe  he would have gone far...On deer and caribou, I usually got exit wounds with BTs  on broadside shots, and quick kills..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Hard to beat Nosler BTs as a deer bullet....I have also shot 8 or 10 caribou with them with no complaints... On a couple of those hunts I had a moose tag and would not have hesitated  to shoot a big bull moose in the lungs with  one...I don't believe  he would have gone far...On deer and caribou, I usually got exit wounds with BTs  on broadside shots, and quick kills..

With each deer I kill with the Nosler BTs I become more impressed Dan. And getting confirmation from someone with your experience doesn't hurt either.

1 minute ago, grampy said:

With each deer I kill with the Nosler BTs I become more impressed Dan. And getting confirmation from someone with your experience doesn't hurt either.

I have killed more game with Nosler BTs than any other bullet, Dave... Never had a single complaint, from accuracy to terminal performance..

A number of years back  lots of guys on another forum were praising the  Barnes 120 Grain TSX in the 7MM08....I had been using the Nosler BT 140 grain in my 7MM08 with great results, but just for shits and giggles I decided to try the Barnes load..

It shot as accurately as the Nosler and killed just as well, and seemed to result in a little less meat damage, so I stuck with it...

A couple of years later I tried the 140 TTSX  in my .280, with similar results....Since then I have been using the Barnes bullets,  but it was never because I had any complaints about the Nosler BTs....

• Like 1