Sorting Gear

Moho81

My season is done besides maybe a yote hunt. My hunting clothes are all clean, I have gear all over the dining room so I can reorganize it and put it away except it’s literally the last thing on earth I want to do right now. I’d rather pour myself a healthy glass of whisky and take a nap. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Normally from mid september to the end of december the “man cave“ is cluttered. Starts with bow stuff and ends with ML . It took me about  6 hours today to organize and clean all my hunting gears. Cleaning the ML took me the longest.  Its was a fun season! Happy holidays fellas! Lets do this again next year! 

• Like 2

I have totes for heavy (gun season), light (turkey and chuck seasons), and bowhunting season setups that just get stacked. Everything goes in each so I at least know where stuff is. Whatever I'm running at the time during season goes unto ziploc big bags for scent control. Not too bad and complicated.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was just thinking about this yesterday. My truck is a pile of crap. I keeps stuff pretty OCD but this time a year the weather varies so much that I have snow camo, blind camo, regular cold weather camo. 

In the off season I keep turkey and yote stuff separate and also scent lock in a scent lock bag and a sole bin for hats and gloves. Then all the camo gets sorted by season in totes with labels. 

I bought these on prime day a few years back for $100. They're the same bin that scentlock sells with a weak ass piece of carbon filter for like twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5DZNHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I make lists. I go through my clothes and gear and see what needs to be replaced/repaired/added to. Put on list any thing that needs to be done to guns. What I am going to build/modify/maintain on my stands. This usually occurs the week after christmas. I also look at last years list and add items I did not get done last year. Will be a busy year because a trip to Wyoming is planned in Sept.

My yota is disgusting, my hunting room is disgusting, and I have little desire to organize it lol. I'm penciling it in for this weekend and will get it done. I have a pile of new parts to go on the yota so that will help with motivation..

Totes and the portable wardrobe/closets you can order via Walmart for $30-40 is a good, easy way to stay organized. I use so much gear the interim time in the season is tough to keep up with. 

Glad I'm not the only one that does not look forward to re-organizing it all. I have 4 totes for all the different clothes and gear. To start the season its all organized but by the time the gun season ends I have the totes all mixed up with each other, it's a disaster. 

It Probably took me about 2 hours to separate it all out and get it reorganized. Now next season all I have to do is grab the totes from the basement and toss them in the truck. 

My truck is empty as I don’t leave anything in it as I prefer to have my windows unbroken as it’s parked outside . I dress/undress in the basement including my harness , so the basement looks like this oct-Dec .

At some point I’ll wash it and stuff it on these shelves .

to think my Dads “ hunting “ clothes also doubled as snow blowing and out side work  clothes , and his total “ gear “ was three items , a knife, compass and zippo metal hand warmer .

8FE3C14F-AD62-4051-8AFD-C54FE2378C60.jpeg

BFC33072-4F1C-41A7-B49D-9B4D3FE74031.jpeg

• Like 1

Me...I got some work putting things in order and cleaning stuff to do but nothing that can’t be tackled on New Year’s Eve and day with some Tito’s and Cranberry Gingerale.  Good for the stomach and sorting cleaning.  Course remembering where I put everything next year is always an adventure. Ha.  Guess it’s time to check it over take stock mentally and go into withdrawal til Next year.   

• Like 1

I have five large totes for all my hunting gear. Everything is all washed, folded, organized, and put away.  Trail cams are all down and in a big box, with batteries removed. I do have my predator hunting gear ready to go for after the holidays. All I have left to do is clean the Sako, and get the reloading bench ready to start making up my special recipes. I asked Santa for a chronograph, to help really dial in my reloads. And I've been a VERY good boy this year, so we'll see? So hopefully, one more thing to store and organize!!

• Like 1

I've started the process, but still have a little work to do. All the deer hunting stuff is out of my truck and mostly staged in the garage. I'll need to wash all the outer layers and then I just put them in a portable closet. It's does a decent job of keeping outside smells on the outside, and i hang scent wafers in there in the off season. All the equipment has been checked, cleaned, and put in the appropriate place. I use a few of those 3 drawer plastic shelving setups for most of it. I have drawers for knives, orange tape, hot hands, field dress gloves, flashlights, shotgun plugs/chokes, etc. All the smaller clothing items like hats, gloves, neck gaiters, packs, and harnesses go into a plastic bin. I keep most of this stuff organized because some of it will get used through Feb for small game. It feels good to get all that crap out of the truck. 

I wanna puke my truck and hunting room/home office are a mess....the hunting room was great until I decided to organize and catalog all my ammo. So step one is to finish cataloging ammo and reloading supplies and then move on to washing and storing hunting clothes from the season. I currently have a jam packed truck and my trailer is still attached until everything gets tucked away before the big storm Xmas Eve. To add to the mess my boys tagged along this year so the back seat is a dumping ground from them. But hey putting it all back together is half the fun.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I wanna puke my truck and hunting room/home office are a mess....the hunting room was great until I decided to organize and catalog all my ammo. So step one is to finish cataloging ammo and reloading supplies and then move on to washing and storing hunting clothes from the season. I currently have a jam packed truck and my trailer is still attached until everything gets tucked away before the big storm Xmas Eve. To add to the mess my boys tagged along this year so the back seat is a dumping ground from them. But hey putting it all back together is half the fun.

The inside of my truck is so bad I’m really thinking about completely emptying out the inside into a box and taking it for a professional interior detailing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

The inside of my truck is so bad I’m really thinking about completely emptying out the inside into a box and taking it for a professional interior detailing.

i had to take my truck in for a recall on the adapter that holds the rearview camera in.  Yeah i havent had a chance to clean all the deer blood out off the bed and tailgate yet.    Havent gotten a visit from the FBI so far ... 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

I was actually thinking about the same thing. Pull the booster seats....and take a run to Delta Sonic. They have some cheaper interior deals that may just hold me over until spring when I can give it a good clean myself. I gotta grab one more blind tomorrow morning before the storm hits and then I may take it in real quick.

For me this time of the year is a shuffle of equipment, there is plenty of small game hunting to be done so long as the weather (mainly snowfall) is half way decent. The Deer rifles and ammo are put away and the Varmint-Rimfire rifles and Shotguns are brought out for small game hunting. The lighter weight clothing is put away and the Wool is brought out, leather boots exchanged for LL Bean Maine hunting boots. Rabbits, Squirrel, Grouse, Pheasant and Varmint seasons are still open well into the winter.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the guns cleaned and most everything away. Kept out some gear for squirrel and yote hunting and inventoried ammo to see what I have....and what needs to be on the watch list. The best my hunting room has looked in years....lol
Also took note of a few lost items.....but I think I can find them after the thaw. My pack was open one afternoon when I took a walk to warm up and I didn't notice until I got back to my atv. Grunt tube and a pair of gloves must have fallen out within a short distance of one another.

Finally got the guns cleaned and most everything away. Kept out some gear for squirrel and yote hunting and inventoried ammo to see what I have....and what needs to be on the watch list. The best my hunting room has looked in years....lol
Also took note of a few lost items.....but I think I can find them after the thaw. My pack was open one afternoon when I took a walk to warm up and I didn't notice until I got back to my atv. Grunt tube and a pair of gloves must have fallen out within a short distance of one another.

Holy cow! Taking your sweet ol time getting things put away. Lol. Shoot I’m so far ahead of you I’ve got my truck cleaned, vacuumed and a light detail. Heck I’ve almost bought another truck in the time you’ve taken. Lol.

My seasons haven't stopped..... finished with the going out the last 4 days of muzzle.....took at short break for xmas and then was after dang geese last weekend! You don't even wanna see my muddy truck after that adventure. Sunday gonna stomp around on some state land for tree rats.....and if my buddy can locate birds we'll make a last ditch effort Sat morning before the Bills destroy the Colts!
Also gotta mix in a little yote hunting! The seasons don't stop.....they just roll!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:41 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah i havent had a chance to clean all the deer blood out off the bed and tailgate yet.    Havent gotten a visit from the FBI so far ... 

Funny you should say that! A couple years ago, a new neighbor stopped by to look at my truck, as he wanted the same model. It happened to be during hunting season and there was blood all over the bed of the truck and tailgate. I saw his reaction when he noticed it. I told him that I hunted and had a couple of deer in the bed of the truck recently. He just looked at me and said, "So I'm supposed to just take your word for it that your wife is safe in the house and having lunch?" I busted out laughing!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2