The Best Hunting Gear Investment You've Made in the Last 10 Years

Five Seasons

Hub Blinds for me. I have four now. Each year I hunt them a little more. They are portable, and can be set up most anywhere. Stay out of the wind and rain. I have brought a small heater during real cold days. Very comfortable with a nice, oversized folding chair inside.20211121_072929.thumb.jpg.833dcafa65e855e881112e13b3639503.jpg

• Like 6

I find it difficult to narrow down my list to one thing.

It may be a pair of lightly insulated bibs.Not even sure about the brand. They are stretchy. I will never by another pair of work or hunting pants again that do not stretch. Unbelievable how much more comfortable and freeing they are. Wether kneeling,climbing , or  falling. Ha.ha .ha

My portable sawmill, making box blinds and other projects are so much cheaper and easier...  going to make a covered truss bridge to span creek where I now have a cable bridge, preferably strong enough to let a 4 wheeler over it... 

• Like 2

Here ya go...

My everyday field /hunting knife is the one on the far right.  I have added to it with three other bone handled versions, all but the one with the silver coin lanyard are seconds bought from the factory for 1/2 price, the silver coini lanyarded (2nd from L )  is the only custom I ever had done...flat ground high carbon. Crazy sharp, but by the time the flat grinding is done the blade is so thin it isnt appropriate for field use.  Otherwise they hold an edge crazy long, easy to sharpen and the offset handle is much more natural than a normal knife handle. The short stubby knife is one I made and carried for years, but retired for the G. #1. 

The rifle photo is the only one i have. It is from the rock in Newfoundland I shot from to get my moose.  (rifle has its original barrel in 8x57 Mauser, with my handloads. 

100_1294.JPG

102_1792.JPG

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Just don't use it in the grinder this time!!!!

That’s one lesson that I learned the hard way.  I am thankful that my kids didn’t find any of those little orange chips in their tacos.  I threw away a pound or so of grind, after it grabbed and took off part of the tip, but I missed one little chip and I found it in my leftover D22FFC80-F89E-488A-8E36-F7225E9F2BE1.thumb.jpeg.36c6b10ef0cfaeabdadcaafbc727b1f9.jpegchile at work.

A hammer handle makes a much better grinder stuffer:

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That’s one lesson that I learned the hard way.  I am thankful that my kids didn’t find any of those little orange chips in their tacos.  I threw away a pound or so of grind, after it grabbed and took off part of the tip, but I missed one little chip and I found it in my leftover D22FFC80-F89E-488A-8E36-F7225E9F2BE1.thumb.jpeg.36c6b10ef0cfaeabdadcaafbc727b1f9.jpegchile at work.

A hammer handle makes a much better grinder stuffer:

Is it ever time to upgrade anything?

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Is it ever time to upgrade anything?

It was time to upgrade the knife and 3/16 screen on that grinder this year ($ 30 from Amazon).  Years ago, there were a few guys around who would sharpen them, but all that I knew have passed on.  

22 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Going to be looking for a Jet Sled when season closes ( day after tomorrow ) for the dual purpose of Deer Dragging and Ice Fishing !

I was just in Runnings, Lockport store and they had a heck of a selection of different sizes of those sleds.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Nice pics.   I need to try one of those knives out.  Grohman?

Yep. All are the #1, but I now have a #3, which is alternately called the boaters (or yachtsman) or the Canadian military Jump knife, which is similar in configuration but has bit straiter blade and heavier tang. A bit better for an all around camp knife.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, XGX7PM said:

Right...

The tag line for the come along isn't very visible in that picture, but it kept enough tension on it that it wasn't going anywhere. At one point we had to disengage and it the tower was briefly suspended with only the come along securing it.

Twist was our biggest concern.

The farm jack was lag bolted to a scrap piece of 2"x12" wedged in to the ladder and there was a scrap piece of 2"x4" attached to the runner via lags and tension.

Every couple clicks on the farm jack we cinched the come along to keep pace with the overall lift.

It's anchored on all 4 feet with spikes and a auger style anchor with cable in the center.

Screenshot_20211230-220739_Gallery.jpg

@Belo

21 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lacrosse burly air grips. I don’t know if it counts because I buy a new pair every year.

I’ve had those boots on for probably 45 out of my lst 50 deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% my favorite boot of all time. I too go through a pair every season.

5 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

100% my favorite boot of all time. I too go through a pair every season.

As you age, boots like that with zero real support will be a no go...........you'll be using a boot with laces and good insoles down the road.

Enjoy while you can........ :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

I've been pondering this topic for quite awhile. I guess it really isn't close for me. It is the base layers for the cool to cold temperatures during bow season. It was always a pain in the neck when you got weather cold enough that you needed to wear more clothes to sit in your stand.

Now, long johns helped for sure, but I usually still needed to add a hoodie or something similar. Then, if it really got cold, I was forced to wear a coat that was heavier and bulkier. It made it hard to draw and hold form.

The performance clothes that have improved more and more. Hell, I can sit all day in a climber in cold weather with a coat on that is soft and pliable, and it allows me to draw and hold with no worries about the string hitting a sleeve, or a damn string from a hood going up into my cam.

None of my clothes are the expensive stuff either. They were all bought from guide gear or on clearance.