Facemask or Makeup ?

BizCT

I'm gonna be the oddball here.

I don't wear a mask or paint.

Still kill some nice deer.

Face paint's for clowns and hookers.....

Masks are for bank robbers,ninjas, and trick or treaters.

Most times I got a camera glued to my face when the deer appear anyhow...

Edited by wooly
  • Like 3

I've been deabting on getting a kisser button, but never made the leap. I shoot pretty well now, but I see so many benefits to it.

I certainly don't put much credo in the tv personalities, but certain hunting "pros" that I believe make the cut, almost all shoot a kisser. I'm talking about the ones that hunt the larger bucks and only have TV as a second-level component to the hunt.

Give it a try, i love mine. Only knocks something like 1 fps off your bow. I didnt do it for any reason other than it helped me not have to think about my anchor points.

• Like 1

LOL Wooly!  Early season is just to hot for both but I have used bandanas early season if temps allow it.  I use some cover to hide my nose and eye area, ears and neck beard covers the rest.  Otherwise many times I just go out and hunt, covering my face is not needed with a beard and camo hat!  But that extra stuff is part of what makes hunting FUN!!!  And being in FULL camo is pretty awesome!!!  I like neck gaiters and a camo baseball hat and usually have many bandanas to keep all my pockets quiet or cover a cold spot. 

WOW the looks I got when I went into a gas station after 7 days of hunting!  When I looked in the mirror I had to laugh.  Full camo face paint with a scratch across my nose from a tree branch the day before.  I looked scary!!!

I'm gonna be the oddball here.

I don't wear a mask or paint.

Still kill some nice deer.

Face paint's for clowns and hookers.....

Masks are for bank robbers,ninjas, and trick or treaters.

Most times I got a camera glued to my face when the deer appear anyhow...

I am with you Wolly, if I do have a mask on its only covering my neck because I wear glasses and mask's are hot. I pull the mask down out of the way when a deer comes in any way so I can be sure to feel my anchor point. I do cover up when it gets cold but thats for warmth not concealment.

Grow a beard! You can't forget it, or wash it off, smear, a few days growth covers all... why pay for something that's free plus no need to buy razors /blades for a few months. Gives more cash to spend on gas to go hunting!

Grow a beard! You can't forget it, or wash it off, smear, a few days growth covers all... why pay for something that's free plus no need to buy razors /blades for a few months. Gives more cash to spend on gas to go hunting!

I use an electric razor, so I am always scruffy. But I don't want a full blown beard.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

get the mask....i have a few swamps i like to hunt early and the bugs are bad i use a beanie and a mesh face cover with an opening for your eyes... and on the other spots with no or little bugs i just wear a beanie.  when the weather is warm you have plenty of cover, if you pick a good spot u should not have to worry about 6x6 area of skin showing.  on the ground it may be a bit harder...but brush yourself in too.  i doubt you want to kill every deer you see, so make sure they cant see you. the early season is great to catch a big boy still in the summer pattern but trust me u shoot one early be ready to spend the majority of your sleep time that night skinning and quartering it so the meat stays good.  make sure u have a big cooler and a place to dress them out...or a butcher thats open late!  The biggest thing i can tell you as someone starting to hunt early in CT is to stay on the edges!!!! If i have a beast im after i will make the move but other spots in CT i hunt the edges and use the early start as more of scouting and keeping tabs on what trails and food sources they are using.  if you just go in gung-hoe especially to a new spot that has not had any pressure you will spook them.  I hope u put a few down early and good luck with the new spot bro.

Masks are a pain. Always re-adjusting and your breath gets all wet and cold on them. I went to face paint and never looked back. So much more comfortable especially when shooting a bow! And you don't have to listen to a mask brush against you every time you move.

it makes little brushing noises that are annoying and make it harder to hear other things too...

My beard holds my mask in place.

If your mask is making that much racket, you're moving waaay too much, which is defeating the purpose of camouflage.

my mask just tends to brush on my hair and stuff w the littlest movement and makes a little noise...

I wear glasses and use a face mask. Works well 90% of the time for me, sometimes fogs up like when a nice buck comes in........ Been thinking of trying make up,but getting LASIK done on my eyes this Wed.

So no more fogging glasses or glasses at all!

I started bow hunting with face paint, but I have since gone to a scent loc face mask, it is  easy to use and I don't have to paint up for a short after work hunt. early season I use my turkey face mask helps with the bugs. just put it in my jacket pocket so I always have it with me. be sure to practice with it on so you know you can shoot without any problems. 

• 5 weeks later...

30 years ago when i started bow hunting i used black make up, then with the introduction of carbon clothing i went to a Scentlok face mask.  I will stick with the masks, its easier and i think there is some advantage in masking breath with a Scentlok mask. The paint looks cool though!