Out of Shape

the blur

I started scouting last weekend, and I'm realizing, I am 20 lbs over weight.   Had a hard time walking up a mild incline, and that was with no gear, no rifle, and sneakers.    There is no way I can go in as deep as I need to, or even carry out a deer.

So this is my plan.   I have 6 weeks to do it before rifle season.

Start walking 1+ miles every night.  

Then slowly increase it to 3 miles.   

Then to walk with my big heavy boots. 

Then heavy clothes as it gets colder. 

Maybe even towards the end, I'll walk with my back pack loaded with a 10 lb weight. 

I'd like to walk with my rifle, but I'd get arrested around here.

No one under 50 yo should answer this, as you'll realize it's easy to get out of shape as you get older.  Especially with a desk job for 40+ hrs a week.

I am 40 lbs + overweight and am walking the mile a day now and will also increase to get to a hour a day....plus at 71 , I find I still eat like I was at 21 and working 12 hour days. now most of the time it TV and popcorn or other treats. So no more in between food, and cut back on the amount I take at a meal.

I do find at my current weight I do seem to do better walking down the mountain, and or rolling down...

My view? Round IS a shape...............grin

Seriously, good luck in your quest for good health.  I've knocked off a few pounds in the past year, mostly due to a health scare that I'm doing better will but will never be completely clear of, Barrett's Esophagus.

What's bugging me is that I am getting to the age where vigorous activity to stay in shape is not working anymore. Example: I've had to give up some of the weight training machines at the "Y" because of muscle and joint injuries. A few weeks ago vigorous hoeing in the garden caused tendinitis in my elbow .... serious archery problem if it had been allowed to do too far. Hoeing for God's sake! Endurance on long hikes has faltered. Hip problems are taking their toll. So, much of what used to keep me in shape is being forced to the sidelines. The fact is that eventually, all our best intentions will slowly be screwed up by age. It gets to the point where you just do what you can and hope that's good enough.

Even worse than staying in ready shape for hunting is the fact that there  is a huge correlation between exercise and blood pressure. Reduced exercise turns into sky-rocketing blood pressure. And there is the same relationship with blood-sugar. So these vital keys to longevity are directly hooked to something that you get less and less able to do. Now there is a scary scenario.

This is a great thread topic. Many hunters are out of shape as they enter the woods, then find health issues creep up on them quicklly, in a very bad enviroment. I know a lot of people don't have the time or the oppertunity, or both, to build their bodies up, but knowing your limitations can save you a lot of unannounced agravation outdoors. Maybe line someone up ahead of time, to help with the drag. Always let someone know, when and where u are. Carry a cell phone. My best friend, I have in the outdoors.

I keep in decent shape but every hunting season, hiking up the hills with a bunch of gear is always tough especially the first few times. I'm huffing and puffing after 5 minutes at first and then after a few weeks of it i'm able to go longer and farther.

By that time, the season is OVER.  B)

Few thoughts: A) Walking is GREAT exercise...made better if your route has some hills B) Add weight to your walk in small increments only. As little as 5% of your body weight (10 lbs for a 200 lb guy) can make your walk much more productive. Add it right: sand bag(s) in a waist pack is best...small day pack next best...NEVER carry hand weights when you walk/run; such violates all the rules of good lifting and carrying. C) Try to get TWO activity sessions each day: your walking and some active chore in addition...mow the lawn, gardening (Yes, Doc, gardening is great exercise), clean the garage, whatever. D) Add a general total-body weight training session to your exercise regimen: three days per week if 35 or under; two days per week if over 35. E) Add two or three sessions of stretching and abdominal conditioning to your weekly regimen. F) Identify your "problem foods" and target them for reduction or elimination. (For me, that would be booze, snacks and desserts, especially ice cream.) And lastly, G) Be patient...Don't try to lose weight too quickly. To lose 1-2 lbs per month is an attainable goal. Weight lost slowly is more easily kept off.

I have been fairly active all my life. Here I am nearing 60, still playing some pick-up basketball,walking golf courses, and working out at home. My favorite workout involving some cardio is shooting Baskets at the local "Y" for a half hour or so. I do that to work up a good sweat. I picked up a workout machine called "The total Gym" and it really helps my strength and endurance.

I try not to eat crap, but do fall victim to a nice glass of Merlot now and again...

Even with this, I now prefer to pull out that big buck with an ATV as opposed to dragging...that sucks.

My daughter is getting close to turning 10 and is on this kick to run a mile in 7 minutes or less.Now I was never a long distance runner I did the 50 yd dash and 4x100 m sprint in school 25 years ago ..lol.. We have started at 1/2 miles and have it down to under 4 minutes.. but at the end i would love to see one of those NFL oxygen tanks sitting there ..lol.. Another week or so and she will be faster than me.. that's all I have... lost 10# so far maybe i will be under 230# (1st time in 5-10 years)before nov 6. Those hills at Letchworth kill me every year..

I know exactly where you at....I cut out all white product,No white bread, white rice, or pasta (whole wheat only) . Not on a training routine but try to ride a bike,kayak or walk a couple of times during the week. Dropped 20lbs so it a start.

(i hunt by myself )

At this point in my life I have a map of where Im going, route Im traveling in and out and treestand locations im using. I also have the same map on the seat in my car just in case. I Call home when I get down out of my tree. I also started to call when Im dragging a deer out every 20 minutes. I started this about 3 years ago when I shot two does. I had a deer cart with me but with almost 250lbs + gear on the cart it made for a long drag. (4.5 hours myself) I was calling my wife every 20 minutes ( she thought I was nuts) I was serious and told her if you don't hear from me in 20 I died of a BLEEPING heart attack.LOL But I was serious. 

Also when I know Im doing strenuios stuff I ve been taking an aspirin day before and that night. They say that you are most likely to have a heart attack between 5AM and noon, so taking it at night helps eleviate the chances the next day.  

So the bottom line is this....."Enjoy every day you get to spend in the woods." BE SAFE gentlemen and good luck this season!

Edited by Live2Hunt