Sad Day

Lawdwaz

I have an apartment complex in Lockport that I do a fair amount of work for and had a job scheduled for tomorrow.  The manager of the complex told me yesterday to give him a call late today and let him know what time I'd be over to do the job on Friday.

I called around 3:00 today and got no answer on his cell.  That was odd I thought then just seconds later my phone rings and it was his phone..........I said "hi Fran, it's Larry".  I heard a ladies voice crack and she said, "no Larry, this is _______, Fran's daughter.  He died this morning."  I was stunned................................

I mumbled some quick broken words of condolences and utter shock.  I was floored.  She said he passed this morning of a massive heart attack as he dressed to go do some clean up plowing at the apartment complex.  She cried and I cried....

Damn it all.

I only new Fran for about 6 years.  He and another older fellow did all the maintenance work for about 100 well kept units, mostly occupied by seniors.  Both guys were very unique in their own way.  They got along great but were constantly busting each others balls for one reason or another.  All in fun, usually. :biggrin:

They met MANY years ago at the Niagara Raceway in Niagara County.  Remember the radio ad, "SUNDAY, NIAGARA RACEWAY"  the announcer would yell.  It was a big deal in the 60's and 70's.  Dean owned it and Fran raced there.  I don't know their entire relationship but they were friends for many, many years.  

I talked to Dean today and we shared a few stories.  Just last week Fran was telling me about a lady that passed away a month ago in one of the units and he discovered her.  We had a couple of normal goofy guy comments and that was that.  He was rushing to get two units ready to be occupied so he could take a weeks vacation next week with his wife.  He was leaving this Monday...................

Damn it all.

His  wife has had some health issues and he did everything with and for her.  This will devastate her and his entire family.  Ballroom dancing was a passion for them.  He would love to tell me about all their trips to dance, it bored the hell out of me.   I was all ears and did my best to look interested but he also new I'd rather talk about his drag racing!! :biggrin:   Hell, how many handy men have SnapOn tools?  I will miss him, RIP Fran.

• Like 2

It's a hard thing to deal with, and it is not something that you ever get to accept any easier. As you get older, these things get more frequent as your circle of friends also age. No one can ever say or do just the right thing to make the grief pass. Only time can do that. The best anyone can do is what has already been mentioned, focus on the good times with a celebration of his life.